NHL fans let loose with racist comments after loss

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
While I'm not aware of the incident (I live in Atlanta, we're bad enough at being hockey fans that we lost our team twice), I would assume it was a black player. And from there I would assume it has to do with the racist calling of black people monkeys. And monkey - banana. It could very well have never been intended as a racist thing, but depending on the perspective taken it could be taken as racist initially.
I suppose, but bananas are Asian, not African. If it was intended to be racist, it's certainly not apparent or clever.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
I suppose, but bananas are Asian, not African. If it was intended to be racist, it's certainly not apparent or clever.

Well, the association of black people with monkeys isn't very intelligent, doesn't mean it isn't something racists do. I don't expect clever or intelligent from racist individuals. If they had a high intellect I don't think they'd be racist.

crashtestdummy

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2010
As a Bruin fan, I find this incredibly embarrassing. I have no excuses. Seeing this response is far worse than the actual series loss.

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
werepossum - the people who are racist made that connection in their mind, and then accused others of being racist. It's a perception thing that many see the world through a racist lens and assume everyone else does as well. Dems for example

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Well, the association of black people with monkeys isn't very intelligent, doesn't mean it isn't something racists do. I don't expect clever or intelligent from racist individuals. If they had a high intellect I don't think they'd be racist.
That's a fair point. I'd have thought the many things casting Bush as Chimp-In-Chief among other things would have ended any association of blacks with monkeys - not to mention that people LIKE monkeys - but you're right, these people aren't exactly Rhodes scholars.

werepossum - the people who are racist made that connection in their mind, and then accused others of being racist. It's a perception thing that many see the world through a racist lens and assume everyone else does as well. Dems for example
Could be this too. If I see someone throw a banana onto the ice I'm thinking asshole rather than racist, but it could well be both. Even though African monkeys and/or apes likely never see a banana.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
That was not classy :)

Its a shame really, I love hockey, it has become my favorite sport. I am a little surprised to be honest that many of the fans there did this.
Wait - hockey is a sport? Damn, I must have been watching the fight and missed the sporting section. ;)

As a Bruin fan, I find this incredibly embarrassing. I have no excuses. Seeing this response is far worse than the actual series loss.
No group of any size is free of severely defective assholes.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Since it looks like no one else is going to ask - what is the connection between throwing a banana out onto the ice and a "global embarrassment"? Seems like Step Two has been left out.

Kudos to the OP for taking bad behavior in Boston (after San Francisco probably the last place one would find a conservative) and attempting to link it to conservatives. Everyone needs a personal goal, and while being a perfect idiot isn't one I would have selected, at least it's keeping you busy.

There are plenty of conservatives in New England (the broader area are constituents of this team, not just Bostonians). There are conservative counties in Mass, just as there are in CA.

Doesn't mean these posters were conservatives though. It's just an unknown.

Nor is this an especially big news story since there are all manner of cretins and asshats online. The only broader significance is that blacks have always had barriers to entry in every professional sport. I guess hockey is the last "white man's" professional sport that is popular in north America. This, however, is nothing compared to what blacks faced with baseball in the early to middle 20th century.

- wolf

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
There are plenty of conservatives in New England (the broader area are constituents of this team, not just Bostonians). There are conservative counties in Mass, just as there are in CA.

Doesn't mean these posters were conservatives though. It's just an unknown.

Nor is this an especially big news story since there are all manner of cretins and asshats online. The only broader significance is that blacks have always had barriers to entry in every professional sport. I guess hockey is the last "white man's" professional sport that is popular in north America. This, however, is nothing compared to what blacks faced with baseball in the early to middle 20th century.

- wolf
There's a story told by (IIRC) a former USC football coach who had just beaten the legendary Bear Bryant like a rented mule. Bryant asked "Where do you FIND these boys?" The USC coach pointedly looked at at the lily white Alabama team, then at the integrated California team, then looked at Bear and grinned. "Alabama", he told him. Discrimination can only last until the first major employer folds, then the employers refusing to pull from the entire talent pool will be at a disadvantage.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
There's a story told by (IIRC) a former USC football coach who had just beaten the legendary Bear Bryant like a rented mule. Bryant asked "Where do you FIND these boys?" The USC coach pointedly looked at at the lily white Alabama team, then at the integrated California team, then looked at Bear and grinned. "Alabama", he told him. Discrimination can only last until the first major employer folds, then the employers refusing to pull from the entire talent pool will be at a disadvantage.

Yeah I think that's right. Sports are competitive so no team will hamstring itself by limiting its talent pool so long as one team is willing to not limit itself. Still, it lasted a long time in baseball before the barrier was broken, and even then the earliest black players had difficulties from management, teammates, and fans. Even worse was the immensely talented players like Satchel Paige and Josh Gibson being relegated to the obscurity of the negro leagues for all that time.

- wolf

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I thought this only happened in the conservative, back waters of the South. Stay classy liberal New Englanders.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Shitty response to one of the best series in playoff history (seven games, all decided by one point)-and my team lost.

werepossum: watch college hockey-no fighting allowed. I like it a lot better than NHL.

CPA: surely you must be aware of Boston's long history of racism-son't you remember the school busing incidents in South Boston maybe a decade or so back? Jackasses can come from anywhere.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Shitty response to one of the best series in playoff history (seven games, all decided by one point)-and my team lost.

werepossum: watch college hockey-no fighting allowed. I like it a lot better than NHL.

CPA: surely you must be aware of Boston's long history of racism-son't you remember the school busing incidents in South Boston maybe a decade or so back? Jackasses can come from anywhere.
What! No fighting! Wouldn't that be Disney on Ice?

I don't wanna see a bunch of dudes skating around and playing with their pucks. The rules give you a club, damn it, obviously G-d wants you to use it!

I'll stick to rugby or Australian football. They give me that disassociated feeling of being hammered without killing off brain cells.

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
Some Bruins fans are classless. I went on youtube to see the goal and there were comments on how there was goalie interference and the refs didn't call it because he was black (there wasn't). Lame people will always be lame I suppose.

Last edited:

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
I've never been to Boston but have always wanted to. I never knew anything about the racism there until I read this post on Freakonomics about 4 years ago.

http://www.freakonomics.com/2008/07/22/what-is-the-most-racist-city-in-america/

There were hundred's of responses and of course you get lots of different answers but it was pretty clear that Boston was pretty high on the list. Ever since then it's made me look at the city differently.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
What! No fighting! Wouldn't that be Disney on Ice?

I don't wanna see a bunch of dudes skating around and playing with their pucks. The rules give you a club, damn it, obviously G-d wants you to use it!

I'll stick to rugby or Australian football. They give me that disassociated feeling of being hammered without killing off brain cells.

There's plenty of hard checking and hard hits in college, just no fighting. As I recall college rules you fight you are automatically out for the balance of this game plus the next one, minimum. Here in the Northeast we have some really top college hockey leagues, which makes it even better. Places like Boston College have been sold out literally for years. Plus you don't have to sell your car or firstborn to afford the tickets.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
So basically Homer got outraged about conservative outlets not talking about it even though they did? Pretty lame.

If I didn't know better, I'd say he was parodying all the conservative threads complaining about the media not covering something as proof of some sort of bias when the media usually WAS covering it and the bias connection was fuzzy at best.

I suspect that this thread really is serious though, and is just as silly as the rest of the threads with this goal.