NFS4 will be jealous... encounter with experimental/concept cars at my local gas station

Maetryx

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2001
Maetryx here, :cool:

I stopped at a local gas station on the way home, and I noticed this really strange little yellow VW car. I figured it was some hybrid or something. I drive a Subaru Justy, and this little yellow car is making mine look big.

Then I notice that this other white station wagon next to me has the STRANGEST looking tow ball on the back end. It looks like a long curvaceous phallus sweeping up from the underside. Weird. Then I noticed that both cars have enormous antennas. And the people are writing on clipboards. I look again at this station wagon. I thought it was a Subaru Forester or Outback. It's a VW too. I don't recognize it at all.

Finally I notice the license plates are like long 8 digit numbers. Not license plates at all.

So I walk over to the guy in the yellow VW. It's called a LUPIO, I think. He rolls down his window when he sees me.

"Hey, your car's making mine look big."

noncommital laugh

"So, is this some 2004 model or something? I noticed that I didn't recognize any of the cars around me."

He says, "I really couldn't say what model it is." He says it like he didn't know, but he was of course saying it exactly the way he worded it.

"So, is it kinda secret?" I ask

"Yeah," he says

I nod and walk away. He's so relieved that I didn't press him and pester him that he says."

"Thanks!"

Then I noticed there were about eight cars gathering together, waiting on each other to get fuel I suppose. And then I had a total flashback like a movie. This was the SECOND time I saw this convoy today. I saw a similar odd gathering at a different local gas station this morning as I drove by, but thought they were waiting for a tanker truck (also there) to finish filling the underground tanks. I had rubbernecked that because it seemed odd, but then forgot all about it until the second encounter.

Too cool. :cool:

I haven't even looked up VW Lupio yet. I'm not 100% sure that's what it said. I think one of the convoy had an Audi emblem. It gets dark here very early, and I didn't go over to the parked cars that were waiting because I was already driving out of the parking lot when I realized the size of the convoy and then had my flashback to this morning.

Anyway, it was pretty neat.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Living in arizona and near the GM proving grounds...I see quite a few of those.

Pretty cool when it happens.

Maetryx

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2001
Yeah, it turns out it is a Lupo.

How largely does a modern automobile have to be today? To which requirements does it have to correspond? And above all - how much driving fun can offer it to you? The Lupo is a small car, which lets some large ones look completely small with its security, quality, economy, equipment as well as its Design and travelling comfort

translated from German by Google language tools.

AnyMal

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
The SUV you saw was probably Touareg It was possible that you saw Audi's and VW's together, Audi is owned by VW.

arcain

Oct 9, 1999
A couple weeks ago I saw a caravan of white (what looked like) Hyundai's being tested while driving up to Mountain High. They were all debadged with antennaes on top and instruments stuck up the exhausts. I took a picture of the caravan with my digicam. But then I thought how would care about spy pics for a Hyundai.

Oh, note to manufacturer: if it wasn't a Hyundai (or Kia), I'm sorry... but that was my first guess, and my girlfriend's first guess as well, and the cars should probably be touched up then because they sure looked like cheap Korean cars.

J3anyus

Platinum Member
Mar 30, 2001
Yeah, I see all kinds of weird concept cars up here. Auto manufacturers bring them up for cold weather testing, although we're not having very cold weather for this time of year :p

My mom actually works with some of the auto manufacturers and helps them do something with the cold weather testing, although I really don't know any details. She was telling me about some prototype 4WD Corvette that Chevy is looking at making...that'd be interesting :)

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: FrustratedUser
Originally posted by: pyonir
Living in arizona and near the GM proving grounds...I see quite a few of those.

Pretty cool when it happens.

Where is that place exactly?

It is Mesa. Off of US 60 about two miles or so. I drive by it on the 60 everyday. :)

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Jealous of a VW Lupo?? BUAHAH, that thing is old and ugly as %@&#!! :)