Discussion NFL: Wild Card Weekend

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
It is amazing what an ibuprofen shot directly to the affected area can do. After the game he will feel it, but after that shot he will be fine with a brace to keep the knee stable. The human body is quite resilient.
AC joint is the collarbone-shoulder area.

Heinicke is going to have a sleepless month.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Go Saints.

@Captante , your betting average is 50% (WFT lose but Bills hang out for their lives for the W.. if Colts made the 4th down in the 1st half....oh well). :D

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Go Saints.

@Captante , your betting average is 50% (WFT lose but Bills hang out for their lives for the W.. if Colts made the 4th down in the 1st half....oh well). :D

Yet another reminder of why I don't bet on football beyond "fun"! ;)

HOWEVER bottom line is I'm still 2 out of 3 in win/loss terms despite Indy being even tougher than I was expecting! (I wasn't surprised at all by the Rams winning either... Seattle had a shell of a defense)

:p

EDIT: Jackson up to his old tricks! .... Knew I should have picked TN!

Last edited:

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
good point. I honestly didn't get to watch them much last season, so I guess that's probably accurate. This isn't like how he played in 2018, though.
Jared Goff was bad in 2019, somewhere around the 22nd highest rated starting QB in the NFL (for some reason, I thought it was worse). It seemed like Bill Belichick permanently broke Goff, but he had a good bounce-back campaign this season. I don't watch the Rams much, but he still seems like an average-ish QB with good tools (and receivers to throw to). Sure seems like a system QB who thrives in play-action rather than a guy who should be making $33M average per year.

But I'm just an armchair QB. :)

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Yet another reminder of why I don't bet on football beyond "fun"! ;)

HOWEVER bottom line is I'm still 2 out of 3 in win/loss terms despite Indy being even tougher than I was expecting! (I wasn't surprised at all by the Rams winning either... Seattle had a shell of a defense)

:p

EDIT: Jackson up to his old tricks! .... Knew I should have picked TN!
Lamar Jackson, Mr. Regular Season glory.

I wonder how they'll do to psycho Lamar in Gridiron Heights in the future.

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
Lamar Jackson, Mr. Regular Season glory.

I wonder how they'll do to psycho Lamar in Gridiron Heights in the future.

He has unbelievable talent, which that run for a TD showed. Unfortunately, I would not like to have the game on his shoulders with time running out or starting a playoff game he has to win.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
He has unbelievable talent, which that run for a TD showed. Unfortunately, I would not like to have the game on his shoulders with time running out or starting a playoff game he has to win.

Terrific athlete .... meh quarterback. :(

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
Yeah, Lamar makes amazing plays but you take the good with the bad.

That deep ball he drew that was intercepted was like 10 feet off from where it need to be, in the completely wrong direction. That was HS level.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Terrific athlete .... meh quarterback. :(
Are you fucken serious? Obviously this is a huge game for Lamar Jackson and it's still up for grabs.
Kid only won the league's MVP award in his age-23 season, while leading everyone with a mere 33 passing TDs.

If you said "meh passer," I guess that's not too ridiculous. I'm on record as saying the read-option stuff Lamar does won't age well; not because he'll lose his speed but because getting tackled 15 times a game will eventually catch up to you (see Cam Newton). But he's 24 and has time to improve his passing, IF he doesn't get blown up on some freak tackle.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
If you said "meh passer," I guess that's not too ridiculous

I suppose I can go with that. :)

Interestingly the commentators were just discussing how every one of those honors was individual not team and Jackson has yet to win a championship on any level. Speaks to judgement and leadership. (or lack thereof)

Note two things though:

(1) He's only 24 years old and still has massive upside

(2) I picked the Ravens to win this game ;)

EDIT: And wth is this new obsession with going for it on 4th when you have a chip-shot FG? That would make the lead 7 ?!? (the reason they failed to get a 1st down doesn't matter)

I swear it should be called ANAL-litics ... its like these coach's forgot how to play football they're so busy calculating the odds.

Last edited:

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I won't overreact to one game, but Lamar Jackson and the Ravens closed while Ryan Tannehill had a brain fart INT.

"Not bad for a running back."

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I won't overreact to one game, but Lamar Jackson and the Ravens closed while Ryan Tannehill had a brain fart INT.

Again I picked them to win today so no surprise here. :)

To me the single most impressive play I saw from Jackson today was sitting down inbounds on that last big run.

Next week however MAY be a different story.... if I were a Baltimore fan I would start rooting hard for the Browns tonight! (I think the Ravens can beat Pittsburgh but not KC)

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014

Agreed, Tannehill and Henry laid an egg. Baltimore is dangerous, but I do not hold the optimism that most of ESPN does with this guy. He’s 24, yes, but if he does not get to a SB this year or next, not sure he physically holds up much past that. He reminds me of Steve McNair, although I thought McNair was a better passer. Time is not good to these guys.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
If Jackson can just settle down he may still be able to win a championship in the NFL ... he's been showing signs.

His main problem is still the same though ... a lot of the time he looks like all he's thinking is "take off and run" and it makes him miss open receivers.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Agreed, Tannehill and Henry laid an egg. Baltimore is dangerous, but I do not hold the optimism that most of ESPN does with this guy. He’s 24, yes, but if he does not get to a SB this year or next, not sure he physically holds up much past that. He reminds me of Steve McNair, although I thought McNair was a better passer. Time is not good to these guys.
LOL I'm neither a Lamar Jackson or Ravens fan, but did you really just say a QB has to get to the SB by age 26 or he's done? Besides the rigors and risks of being an NFL rusher, does Jackson have some history that leads you to question his physical health within 2 years?

We both agree that the physical punishment of being a rusher in the NFL is extreme, and Jackson will be forced to change if he wants to have a long career. All I'm saying is that the Ravens have a run-dominant offense for obvious reasons, but Jackson has pretty good passing numbers within that "balanced" offense.

And FWIW Steve McNair had a pretty good career overall. IIRC his demons were mainly off the field.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
LOL I'm neither a Lamar Jackson or Ravens fan, but did you really just say a QB has to get to the SB by age 26 or he's done? Besides the rigors and risks of being an NFL rusher, does Jackson have some history that leads you to question his physical health within 2 years?

We both agree that the physical punishment of being a rusher in the NFL is extreme, and Jackson will be forced to change if he wants to have a long career. All I'm saying is that the Ravens have a run-dominant offense for obvious reasons, but Jackson has pretty good passing numbers within that "balanced" offense.

And FWIW Steve McNair had a pretty good career overall. IIRC his demons were mainly off the field.
right, but that's what he's saying. If Lamar is going to continue being good at what he does now, he probably has those ~3 more years to reach a super bowl at that level, or start working more on his passing game to extend his overall effectiveness a bit longer.

Russell Wilson had to do it, as you may recall about 3 or 4 seasons ago he had that noticeable slowdown in his step, but he's also much more of a deep passer now. So, changing up his game and has had a bit of a resurgence, but if you notice, he also tends to just fall off a cliff halfway through a season now. Last 2 seasons now he just kinda flattens out. All the years and all the tackles are going to add up and effect your overall game and stamina, and you either adjust or don't, but it is going to effect you regardless.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
What's with the Bears and punching? What kind of shitty team dynamic do they have that this keeps happening

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
What was that Bears player doing? Punch in the face with all the cameras around and with a playoff spot on the line? Not like he was trying to hide his punch at all. Good grief.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
What was that Bears player doing? Punch in the face with all the cameras around and with a playoff spot on the line? Not like he was trying to hide his punch at all. Good grief.
Was he trying to punch Gardner-Johnson?

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Swear to god if I hear Romo make one more pun about "just the tip going in" I'm gonna go crazy....

• Haha