imported_weadjust

Golden Member
Apr 23, 2004
I know the sticker indicates receivers (radio) in the helmet. Why do they need a sticker? QB with a helmet on head = receivers (radio).

AZGamer

Golden Member
May 14, 2001
To make sure only one player has radio communication. Not sure that this is/was an issue, but whatever it takes.

Jadow

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2003
Which is utterly stupid, install a radio and don't put the sticker on!

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
You are only allowed one radio equipped player on the field at at a time.

If the QB, WR, and RB all have one then you could wire in plays to your "skill" positions and make for a very informed "no huddle" offense.

It's more of a formality than anything.

imported_weadjust

Golden Member
Apr 23, 2004
It's the Eli Manning Rule

It's so Eli knows how to put the helmet on. Sticker in the back, cage in the front. You'd be surprised how often he gets confused about that.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: hdeck
yeah it's so only 1 person on the field has a helmet with radio comm

It's not like the green dot *IS* the radio. You still could have a team sneak another one on the field at a time. All this does is make the teams assume a little more accountability.

imported_weadjust

Golden Member
Apr 23, 2004
How Is This For A Dumb NFL Rule?
Aug 12, 2007 | 9:30PM | report this Anyone notice the little green dot on some helmets?

NFL Network was showing the replay of last night's Green Bay @ Pittsburgh preseason game today. At one point, announcers Rich Gannon and Kevin Harlan started talking about a little green dot on the helmet of one of the Quarterbacks. I think it was Aaron Rodgers, but I don't remember for certain.

Apparently, someone believes that any QB who also holds on field goal attempts has an unfair advantage because of the communication equipment inside his helmet. Having this equipment means they could receive instructions for a fake field goal while preparing for the attempt, and make the necessary adjustments.

The league is going to require any QB who also holds for field goals to use a secondary helmet each time they go out to hold. That means, if the QB who is on the field running the offense has to hold, he will have to come off the field, switch helmets, and go back in. Even if time is winding down, he'll need to rush over, exchange helmets, and get back on the field before time runs out, OR he'll have to call a timeout if his team still has any.

I think I know what you're thinking....

Why is this a big deal? Well, think about your team driving down the field, and time is running out. You get within field goal range, but have no timeouts left, and the clock is still moving. Maybe it's even 4th down and you can't spike the football to stop the clock. Your QB will have to rush over, grab another helmet, or have one rushed out to him by another player...who by the way can't then turn around and run back off the field...before settling in where the kicker wants the ball spotted.

Now I realize that most NFL starting QB's don't have the responsibility of holding for FG's or PAT's, but a few do. Besides that, what if your starter gets hurt, and the backup QB is the regular holder?

What teams are going to have to do....

It's pretty silly I think, that any team whose QB on the field is also their holder, will have to appoint someone on the kicking unit (perhaps the kicker himself) the handler of the secondary helmet. Also, someone who is on the field will have to carry off the primary helmet.

If a team tries to run a guy out to both give the secondary helmet and retrieve the primary helmet, is he considered to be a 12th man in the huddle or on the field?

If the QB takes off his helmet between plays, will he be penalized for doing so? The league already has a policy in place where players are not allowed to remove their helmets while on the field. If this rule works like I think it will, an exception will have to be made to this rule.

What's the big deal anyway?

I really have a hard time believing anyone has been so distraught over the idea of a coach calling in a fake field goal because the holder has that speaker inside his helmet, that he needed to introduce this idea to the competition committee. I have an even harder time believing the committee would actually buy this line of Male Farm Animal Fertilizer.

Seriously, if a team wants to run a fake field goal, I don't think they're going to just do it on a whim because at the last second, they remember their holder has a speaker in his helmet, and that he can direct the group of blockers and the kicker to just wing it. If they can, it means they practiced the play and know it has a chance of being successful. If they spent valuable time practicing it during the week, shouldn't they get a chance to use it?

Another thing is, if the QB has to get a different helmet from the sideline, isn't it conceivable that, while he's over there getting it, the coach could whisper in his ear (or the player who runs out on the field to give it to him, or whoever) that the fake is on?

If the whole point of this ridiculous rule is to stop teams from running fake field goals, it's not going to work. The only things this rule is going to accomplish is costing teams penalty yards or the clock running out while the QB is making sure he has the right helmet on.

Another interesting side note to all this....

If a team gets penalized for having 12 men on the field during this helmet swap, and there is under 2 minutes, isn't it required that 10 seconds be run off the clock? In most situations, that alone is going to end the game.

This is a completely useless rule in my opinion. If a team wants to run a fake field goal and any of their QB's happen to be the holder, I say more power to them. Matter of fact, I say whoever the holder is (punter, WR, or the freaking nose tackle) should get to trot out there with a helmet that has a speaker in it.

Instead of trying to fool us into thinking teams won't be able to run a fake with these other helmets, why not just make sure that every holder has a speaker so that the possibility is always there? This way, whether it's the QB who was already on the field, the punter or anyone else who was on the sideline, they'll always be able to have it ready when the time comes to run the play.

http://community.foxsports.com...is_For_A_Dumb_NFL_Rule

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
I think its stupid to have any radio in anyones helmet, QB's included. whats to say that the coach cant tell the QB what to do while the play is going on?

da loser

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: KK
I think its stupid to have any radio in anyones helmet, QB's included. whats to say that the coach cant tell the QB what to do while the play is going on?

they get turned off right before the snap ;)

JasonCoder

Golden Member
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: da loser

Yep, heard that too somewhere. Which begs the question why couldn't they get a hold on how many radios were transmitting. Yeah I'm with the guy that thinks it's for Eli.

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005

imported_weadjust

Golden Member
Apr 23, 2004
Originally posted by: weadjust
It's the Eli Manning Rule

It's so Eli knows how to put the helmet on. Sticker in the back, cage in the front. You'd be surprised how often he gets confused about that.

NY Giants coach hears this in his head set from Eli every time he leaves the sideline headed for the field.

"Lick her in the front sticker in the rear"

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005
Originally posted by: da loser

Actually, the get turned off with 15 seconds remaining on the game clock. That's why you'll often see a QB hold his head around his ears with around 15 seconds on the game clock, and then look over at his coach and shrug-- it's because the receiver got turned off before the play was completely given.