NFL offseason thread

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
Looks like most of his superbowl wins were prior to even talking about Vegan - and it doesn't look like he is in anyway a committed vegan.

Quick google tells me all kinds of things - starting in 2014.... starting in 2017.... also some saying he is 80% vegan.... some saying he rotates it like being vegan for 9-months and then 3 months off....

Yeah that's not vegan lol.

And no - that isn't "a long time"

What happened to this story? Why would you film the Bungles? Guess they wanted a leg up on Joe Burrow, just in case he turns that franchise around.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Antonio Brown is at it again. This bag of dicks is now demanding the NFL wrap up it's investigation so he can play again. A whole two days after he announced his "retirement" on Instagram.

There's something seriously wrong with this guy. He needs to stay on his meds.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Antonio Brown is at it again. This bag of dicks is now demanding the NFL wrap up it's investigation so he can play again. A whole two days after he announced his "retirement" on Instagram.

There's something seriously wrong with this guy. He needs to stay on his meds.

who?

mztykal

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Go Hawks! Excited to get the best safety in the league! Plus our first found picks are usually busts...

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
Not sure the NFL season will survive training camp after MLB is having issues within the first three games with no fans in the stadium. When the fall season gets here and people are more inside, this will not be good for the NFL. I wonder what happens to the players if they cancel or start and cancel. Will they all get credit for the year? Do they get their full contract or just the guaranteed part? Will be interesting to see how this works out. At a minimum there will be no fans in the stadium.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Not sure the NFL season will survive training camp after MLB is having issues within the first three games with no fans in the stadium. When the fall season gets here and people are more inside, this will not be good for the NFL. I wonder what happens to the players if they cancel or start and cancel. Will they all get credit for the year? Do they get their full contract or just the guaranteed part? Will be interesting to see how this works out. At a minimum there will be no fans in the stadium.
I really, really want to have football this season. However, still am not sure how it can work with the extremely close contact football entails. That and the fact that we are already seeing positive cases in the sports that have opened up.

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
I really, really want to have football this season. However, still am not sure how it can work with the extremely close contact football entails. That and the fact that we are already seeing positive cases in the sports that have opened up.

I have season tickets and got a letter last week that the preseason games are going to happen without fans. I expect that to continue up to and including the season until they have a major outbreak which has a high probability of happening. If the Marlins are any indication, none of the fall sports will get off the ground. Camps opened up last week, just waiting fortune announcements of cases spiking. Hope we get the season in as if it is a shorter season, just cancel it and save the guys bodies for one year.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Baseball is a non-contact sport where I believe the transmission risk is relatively low. Football is a whole 'nother beast entirely. Yesterday ESPN dot com reported details from the league to players on topics including the types of questions you're asking here.

I would be shocked if either CFB or NFL allowed fans in attendance for the upcoming season, although there is some chatter of CFB shifting to a spring season if the epidemic continues to churn on its current path.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
This thread is going to be the NFL thread for the whole season, cause the entire season is going to be off.

woodman1999

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2003
5 Patriots players have opted out, one of which is Hightower. I have a feeling with the agreement in place, there may be a tidal wave of opt outs. And this may give us an insight into who has been smart with their paychecks and who has not.

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
5 Patriots players have opted out, one of which is Hightower. I have a feeling with the agreement in place, there may be a tidal wave of opt outs. And this may give us an insight into who has been smart with their paychecks and who has not.

Another year of “replacements” does not bode well. As training camps begin to get going, more and more will get infected. I am surprised there are not more at this point. There will be a flood once the infection rate increases, especially when the first player is hospitalized because of the virus.

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
In case nobody else has said in this thread yet.....I’m just done with common pro sports. NFL, NBA, MLB. They may inadvertently take my money but not voluntarily. I will not give them my viewership. These #*#%+##* are making way too much money and are turning sports into a religion. Done.

Reactions: highland145

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
In case nobody else has said in this thread yet.....I’m just done with common pro sports. NFL, NBA, MLB. They may inadvertently take my money but not voluntarily. I will not give them my viewership. These #*#%+##* are making way too much money and are turning sports into a religion. Done.
wat?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Their fucking jerb is to play sports. Just like actors. Keep your other opinions to yourself.
64872631.jpg

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Do you just hate the players making all those lootcakes? What about the owners?

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Cousins are doing for the Vikings exactly what he did for the Redskins. He gives you a glimmer of hope but in the end can't get it done. The only difference is the Redskins saw this and didn't pay him the outrageous money he wanted. And now the Vikings have extended him. And Diggs is gone.

The Cooper signing with Dak looking to make a ton of money is interesting. That is a lot of money to pay Cooper and they will have to do something with Dak, and obviously Zeke very soon too.
Just a note to some who defended Cousins. Dont want to say "I told you so", but "I told you so". And Zimmer and Spielman should be gone as well. The Vikings could well be the worst team in the league right now. I will give them the loss to the Packers, as they seem to be a powerhouse this year, but not even being competitive with lowly Indianapolis?? Horrible. They even made rag armed, interception generating machine Phillip Rivers look like a top 5 QB.

I blame Cousins for generally mediocre play and lack of leadership, but management (i.e. Zimmer and Spielman) deserve equal or more blame. We let go six starters on defense and probably our best receiver (apologies to Thielen, but he is more of a #2 receiver, and needs Diggs to take some of the defensive pressure off). Not to mention in addition to Cousins, both Zimmer and Spielman got extensions, so we are royally screwed for at least another 2 or 3 years.

Edit: the defense is far from blameless as well. Both GB and Indy seemed to be able to control the time of possession at will. Especially embarrassing for a coach who is supposed to be a defensive Guru.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Just a note to some who defended Cousins. Dont want to say "I told you so", but "I told you so". And Zimmer and Spielman should be gone as well. The Vikings could well be the worst team in the league right now. I will give them the loss to the Packers, as they seem to be a powerhouse this year, but not even being competitive with lowly Indianapolis?? Horrible. They even made rag armed, interception generating machine Phillip Rivers look like a top 5 QB.

I blame Cousins for generally mediocre play and lack of leadership, but management (i.e. Zimmer and Spielman) deserve equal or more blame. We let go six starters on defense and probably our best receiver (apologies to Thielen, but he is more of a #2 receiver, and needs Diggs to take some of the defensive pressure off). Not to mention in addition to Cousins, both Zimmer and Spielman got extensions, so we are royally screwed for at least another 2 or 3 years.

Edit: the defense is far from blameless as well. Both GB and Indy seemed to be able to control the time of possession at will. Especially embarrassing for a coach who is supposed to be a defensive Guru.

eh, there was definitely a time...like 3 solid years...where Rivers was a legit top 5 QB; though those days are long past. Indy actually should be much improved over last year, though.

You want a worse team than the Vikes (i think you're exaggerating a bit, but whatever)--look at the Lions or even the Bears. I mean....what team wouldn't prefer a Cousins, all his faults, over a dingus like Trubisky?

Also: Cleveland.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
eh, there was definitely a time...like 3 solid years...where Rivers was a legit top 5 QB; though those days are long past. Indy actually should be much improved over last year, though.

You want a worse team than the Vikes (i think you're exaggerating a bit, but whatever)--look at the Lions or even the Bears. I mean....what team wouldn't prefer a Cousins, all his faults, over a dingus like Trubisky?

Completely depends on the cost though. I'm glad the WFT moved on from Cousins at his asking price, and clearly he has not come close to living up to it. But good for him because he's set for life and so are generations of his offspring.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018

Maybe. I agree, Detroit and Cleveland are strong contenders for the worst team, but the Bears are 2 and 0.

Cousins vs Trubisky?? I honestly dont know. Trubisky makes a lot of bad throws, but he also makes some good ones, and is much more mobile than Cousins. I also think Trubisky still has some upside, while with Cousins, what he is, is pretty much all you are going to get. Other than lacking the ability to really take over a game, the problem I have with Cousins is the 3 year extension they gave him after one bad year and one pretty good one. Definitely should have waited until after this season to extend him, and well as Zimmer and Speilman.

With all the losses on defense and Diggs on offense, the Vikings are basically in a rebuilding year, which I could handle. However, it doesnt make sense to give your QB an expensive 3 year extension and then blow up the rest of the team.

Edit: I agree Rivers was at one time a very good QB, and I have been a fan of his. He somewhat reminds me of Cousins on steroids though. Always put up great numbers, but somehow could never take his team over the top. At the stage of his career he is in now, though, a good defense should have certainly given him much more challenge than the Vikes did.

Last edited:

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Completely depends on the cost though. I'm glad the WFT moved on from Cousins at his asking price, and clearly he has not come close to living up to it. But good for him because he's set for life and so are generations of his offspring.
Maybe the team should call themselves the Washington Team Football instead. (WTF)

Edit: Just kidding about the name. I used to hate Washington with a passion back in the day. I was a big fan of the Cowboys when Roger Staubach was QB, and the rivalry with Washington was really heated. Now though, since Jerry Jones took over, I would like to see them take the Cowboys down.

Last edited: