NFL offseason thread

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
Well duh just look at his production. But when you give him a contract like the Eagles did, you believe that he will be that person so picking a QB early in the draft leaves people scratching their head.

I think Wentz can be productive, but circumstances (injuries, and a divided locker) hasn't been kind to him. He's proven with the right personnel grouping, he can be a top 5 QB or just outside of that.

But as you said, when you give someone a $100 million dollar contract, you expect him to be THE MAN. Drafting a QB in the 2nd round when you have a $100 mil QB who is 27 or 28 screams out that you do not trust the QB. If you don't trust him, why give him the contract?

Furthermore, there were a lot of other players that could have helped out the Eagles. We need to replenish our aging O-Line. We need linebackers, corners, and safeties. There were just too many needs to draft a backup QB this high. This is one of the most damning quotes I heard on sports radio, in an ideal year for the Eagles, Hurts will never play a single relevant down at QB. Think about it. You are drafting a player who you hope will never play a single important down for you when you have so many holes to fill.

Hurts will be playing wr/rb/gadget qb a lot in his first year

I will forever love the Philly Special, but if you're hoping for trick plays to help you win the game, that doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Which would scare you more, the team that got lucky and won a game or two they shouldn't because of a few trick plays, or the one that says I'm going to sucker punch you, and proceeds to do that.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I think Wentz can be productive, but circumstances (injuries, and a divided locker) hasn't been kind to him. He's proven with the right personnel grouping, he can be a top 5 QB or just outside of that.
He can be productive. If he can stay healthy.

Same with Jordan Reed.

Same with Darius Guice.

Same with Chris Thompson.

Same with RG3.

I mean you don't have to tell me that I have way more experience as a fan of a team with that problem than most people. The problem is he can't stay healthy and that is a huge problem. The contract was retarded of the Eagles to give him and they will be hindered because of it. Cowboys are going to be next in line after they give mediocre Dak Prescott a huge contract.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
He can be productive. If he can stay healthy.

Same with Jordan Reed.

Same with Darius Guice.

Same with Chris Thompson.

Same with RG3.

I mean you don't have to tell me that I have way more experience as a fan of a team with that problem than most people. The problem is he can't stay healthy and that is a huge problem. The contract was retarded of the Eagles to give him and they will be hindered because of it. Cowboys are going to be next in line after they give mediocre Dak Prescott a huge contract.

I don't totally disagree with giving Wentz the big contract, and outside of a cheap shot helmet to helmet hit to the back of his head, he played the whole year. So those are positive signs.

But it's still a head scratcher for the Eagles to draft a QB in the 2nd round when you've just given your starting QB a $100mil + contract, and you had many positions of need. Either you believe in Wentz, or you don't. If the Eagles did not believe in Wentz, they should have just played out the 5th year, then see where it goes from there. I don't feel that pick made them any better.

Jordon Reed never impressed me that much in the NFL. Darius Guice has done diddly squat due to injuries. I think the closest comparison to Wentz is RG3, and not because both are QB's. It's because both showed legitimate flashes of being a great player, before injuries happened.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I don't totally disagree with giving Wentz the big contract, and outside of a cheap shot helmet to helmet hit to the back of his head, he played the whole year. So those are positive signs.

But it's still a head scratcher for the Eagles to draft a QB in the 2nd round when you've just given your starting QB a $100mil + contract, and you had many positions of need. Either you believe in Wentz, or you don't. If the Eagles did not believe in Wentz, they should have just played out the 5th year, then see where it goes from there. I don't feel that pick made them any better.

Jordon Reed never impressed me that much in the NFL. Darius Guice has done diddly squat due to injuries. I think the closest comparison to Wentz is RG3, and not because both are QB's. It's because both showed legitimate flashes of being a great player, before injuries happened.
You clearly did not see Jordan Reed play much when healthy if you say he didn't impress you much. And I don't really blame you because he was on the Redskins. He would have been in competition for the #1 TE in the league EASILY if he stayed healthy during most of his years.

I also can see why you say that about Darius Guice too, for the same reasons and because of injury. I mean if you watch the run he got injured on in preseason of his rookie season, and aren't impressed, then you simply don't like football. He showed flashes of that regularly in the limited time he played.

His speed burst through the hole, then the madden spin move to break a tackle, then stiff arm, then took 3 people to get him down. I mean you can't really ask for much more. And again, he showed flashes like this often while healthy.

I'd put Wentz ahead of RG3 easily because he actually looks like a QB playing QB. RG3 looked like a mashup of positions playing QB. He had zero pocket presence/awareness too. The thing they both do have in common though is neither of them know how to protect themself.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
I don't pay attention to the Redskins much outside of haggling some 'Skins fans while in Ocean City MD (all in good fun, they're friends), and taking a basic look at their roster before they play us. Usually that's from national media, and not local media. I do understand local media will give you the best coverage, and give you insights not normally found from the national talking heads.

I don't really hate the Redskins. I just pretty much laugh at them, as does the rest of the world. I'm sure Redskins fans are either laughing, or crying, or probably both.

The team I really really hate is Dallas. So many supposed "Dallas fans" up here who have never set foot in the state of Texas. I've actually lived in Dallas for a few months. I have worked with people from Dallas (a few companies my job deals with) and they're generally nice people. But the idiots up in the Northeast, who decided they like the star, and because Dallas was winning championships 25-30 years ago are insufferable.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I can tell you for the past 2-3 years or so, the smart Redskins fans have been LOL'ing at the organization. Like my buddies will come over for games and we EXPECT them to fuck up all the time, blow 3rd and 15 constantly, get into RZ and kick a field goal, etc, etc, etc. I haven't gone to a game since before RG3 was drafted because I'm not paying the stupid outrageous prices to watch such a shitty product that literally takes up a whole sunday because of the stupid location of the stadium.

But the direction they are headed now with Bruce Allen being gone gives me some hope.

I agree about Dallas fans. The only ones worse are your Eagles fans lol. :p

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
The Bungles have cut Dalton...something that should have been done LONG ago.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005

But as you said, when you give someone a $100 million dollar contract, you expect him to be THE MAN. Drafting a QB in the 2nd round when you have a $100 mil QB who is 27 or 28 screams out that you do not trust the QB. If you don't trust him, why give him the contract?

Furthermore, there were a lot of other players that could have helped out the Eagles. We need to replenish our aging O-Line. We need linebackers, corners, and safeties. There were just too many needs to draft a backup QB this high. This is one of the most damning quotes I heard on sports radio, in an ideal year for the Eagles, Hurts will never play a single relevant down at QB. Think about it. You are drafting a player who you hope will never play a single important down for you when you have so many holes to fill.

I will forever love the Philly Special, but if you're hoping for trick plays to help you win the game, that doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Which would scare you more, the team that got lucky and won a game or two they shouldn't because of a few trick plays, or the one that says I'm going to sucker punch you, and proceeds to do that.
the NFL is a steal your ideas league, they saw what Taysom Hill did, or maybe they are hoping that Hurts can be moulded into a more reliable passer ala Lamar Jackson?

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005

Lions have tried their damnedest to get Mitch an extension the last 3 times they played (9 td's 1 int)

Reactions: zinfamous
Mar 11, 2004
the NFL is a steal your ideas league, they saw what Taysom Hill did, or maybe they are hoping that Hurts can be moulded into a more reliable passer ala Lamar Jackson?

What has Hill actually done though? I have to imagine they want more out of Hurts than the Saints have gotten out of Hill so far.

Honestly I think he might already be more reliable passer than Jackson. Hmm, not sure, their college stats were closer than I thought, and Jackson hasn't regressed as a passer in the NFL.

Lions have tried their damnedest to get Mitch an extension the last 3 times they played (9 td's 1 int)

Mahomes hammered that nail in the coffin after he punked the Bears at Soldier field and then won the Super Bowl. I liked the Yahoo Sports article reminding people the 49ers passed on Mahomes as well. Its really not said enough that they fucked up too. And that's what you see the Bears were aiming for, is to be the 2019 (and 2012) 49ers. And you see why that doesn't work out as its tough to have an all time great defense that can overcome mediocre QB. I have to imagine teams are rethinking things, which is why Philly went for Hurts. Not that they view Wentz as mediocre but they're being prepared in case that turns out to be the case.

Alex Smith making noise about Kaepernick.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Not only that, Wentz takes a beating, can't say why exactly, don't watch much Philly games but he's had serious injuries in his relativly short tenure.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
Wentz is a talented QB and when at the top of his game, he's a top 5 QB or right at the edge of top 5. Proved it in 2017 before he got hurt, and proved it when he took a team with no WR's in 2019 and took them to the playoffs.

The problem is with his physical gifts. He has "superman syndrome" and tries to do too much and winds up holding the ball too long trying to make that big play. That extra second or two seconds means the difference between avoiding a hit, and taking a beating. Holding the ball too long is also the source of his fumbling problems, which he has had a history of.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005

Earl nearly got the McNair treatment

"after finding Thomas and his brother, Seth, “naked in bed with other women” at a nearby rental home"
'That's when Nina admits she pulled out the gun and put it to Earl's head -- stating "that she took out the magazine thinking that the gun could not fire."

But, cops say Nina was "unaware that the gun had a round in the chamber."' 'Cops say one of the women in the house shot cell phone video of the incident ... which they say shows Nina pointing the gun at Earl's head "from less than a foot away and it can clearly be seen that Nina's finger was on the trigger and the safety is disengaged."'

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
"Instead of talking about us, just keep us in y'all prayers," Thomas says. "Stuff like this happens. We try to live the best lives we possibly can. Sometimes it doesn't go as planned."

I'd say things didn't go as planned. You planed to commit adultery and get away with it. Your wife found out.

I feel bad for his wife. I don't know if she's crazy or what, but it just seems like a pissed off wife finding out her husband is having an affair. If she removed the magazine, then she probably really thought there was no more bullets in the gun and it really was just to scare him.

Anyone who understands gun safety knows there may be a round in the chamber. Even if you are 100% certain there are no bullets in the gun, you should NEVER point a gun at someone you don't plan to kill. Matter of fact, when one of my cousins first got his carry permit, a cop gave him that very same advice. Don't point your gun at someone, but if you ever do, and if you ever need to, shoot to kill.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Will be an interesting year. I think he (Newton) still has a lot of talent. Obviously more physically gifted than Brady. How he will get along with Bellichek will be the key I think, and they are pretty thin on offense too. Newton's running ability will be a big asset, considering the lack of receiver talent.

Reactions: BUTCH1 and KMFJD

woodman1999

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2003
lol as long as he is still on a Vegan diet anyone is fucking moronic for signing that dipshit.

That's the reason he sucked last season - and it will be the reason he continues to suck if he doesn't give up such a stupid fantasy.
For the league minimum, it's worth it. Our other options weren't exactly stellar and at least he might be able to pass on some knowledge about being a running QB, as Stidham's mobility is a step or 10 above Brady's. If he pans out and somehow regains 80% of his early years, it'll be a steal and a half. If he is still hurting, he's gone by the time the season starts and it didn't cost us much.

Reactions: KMFJD and zinfamous

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
For the league minimum, it's worth it. Our other options weren't exactly stellar and at least he might be able to pass on some knowledge about being a running QB, as Stidham's mobility is a step or 10 above Brady's. If he pans out and somehow regains 80% of his early years, it'll be a steal and a half. If he is still hurting, he's gone by the time the season starts and it didn't cost us much.

The contract is pure Bellichek wizardry. All up side, limited to no down.

Reactions: zinfamous

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
lol as long as he is still on a Vegan diet anyone is fucking moronic for signing that dipshit.

That's the reason he sucked last season - and it will be the reason he continues to suck if he doesn't give up such a stupid fantasy.
Yet the man who left, you know, that guy Brady, is a vegan. Has been for a long time too.

• Haha
Reactions: KMFJD
Nov 8, 2012
Yet the man who left, you know, that guy Brady, is a vegan. Has been for a long time too.

Looks like most of his superbowl wins were prior to even talking about Vegan - and it doesn't look like he is in anyway a committed vegan.

Quick google tells me all kinds of things - starting in 2014.... starting in 2017.... also some saying he is 80% vegan.... some saying he rotates it like being vegan for 9-months and then 3 months off....

Yeah that's not vegan lol.

And no - that isn't "a long time"