NFL offseason thread

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
I would bet $50 that a Hopkins holdout is coming, and the money he will ask for will be huge. Probably 22-23 mil+.

I guess Quinn can be a good player when he's motivated but I thought Mack was signed to that huge deal to make average (trans: cheaper) D linemen more effective. The Bears are a disaster on the O line. If they were going to overpay it should have been there.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Rivers has always been something of a loose cannon with INTs but it seemed like he knew he was on his way out last season and made some bad gambles on throws. I'm not a Chargers fan but I like Rivers a lot for his passion for the game and his character. Hoping he has a great season in Indy.

Reactions: zinfamous
Nov 20, 2009
Brady to the Fuckaneers!?! What the might hell is that all about!?! He should have retired. Taken a job as trainer, recruiter, or even sports anchor or something. Take his effing health, mooney and woman to the bank and enjoyed the rest of his life. Now he's tempting fate and watch the effer break his neck in Tampa Bay. How can a man with some like Gisele who has an identical twin for a spare, not go looking for retirement?

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Brady to the Fuckaneers!?! What the might hell is that all about!?! He should have retired. Taken a job as trainer, recruiter, or even sports anchor or something. Take his effing health, mooney and woman to the bank and enjoyed the rest of his life. Now he's tempting fate and watch the effer break his neck in Tampa Bay. How can a man with some like Gisele who has an identical twin for a spare, not go looking for retirement?

Yea, I agree. Actually, I think he should have retired after the Pats won their last superbowl against the Rams. Gone out on top with Gronk.
I also have never liked Tampa Bay, especially when they had "Chucky" (Gruden) as their coach. Not really sure why they wanted Brady either. He is best on short to intermediate throws, not that great anymore on the deep throws, which is the passing game Tampa's coach prefers.

Quite a new QB landscape next year (if there even is a season). Hope Rivers and Bridgewater do well. I also like Nick Foles, but was sad to see him go to the Bears, who are in the same division as the Vikings. I really would like to see Rivers win a superbowl, but he seems to have the same problem as the Cousins for the Vikings: good stats, but just cant seem to elevate the team to win the big games.

Finally, I am flabbergasted that the Vikings would give Cousins a 2 year extension. I think they did it to free up cap space, but really was hoping they could get rid of him after next season if he does not take the team deep into the playoffs. Now they are stuck for 3 more years with a QB who cannot seem to win a playoff game, much less the Superbowl.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Why?, he wanted to end it with the Pats but was pissed last year wwhen a multi-year contract was not offered. He's beyond set for $$ the rest of his life so no, a "sports anchor" would not happen no matter what. Tampa has some good talent on offense, a young and good O-line and a D that came together last season. They lost 8 games by less than 10 points and Winston threw 18 picks in those games. Tom won't break his neck, he'll get rid of it one way or the other.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Yea, I agree. Actually, I think he should have retired after the Pats won their last superbowl against the Rams. Gone out on top with Gronk.
I also have never liked Tampa Bay, especially when they had "Chucky" (Gruden) as their coach. Not really sure why they wanted Brady either. He is best on short to intermediate throws, not that great anymore on the deep throws, which is the passing game Tampa's coach prefers.

Quite a new QB landscape next year (if there even is a season). Hope Rivers and Bridgewater do well. I also like Nick Foles, but was sad to see him go to the Bears, who are in the same division as the Vikings. I really would like to see Rivers win a superbowl, but he seems to have the same problem as the Cousins for the Vikings: good stats, but just cant seem to elevate the team to win the big games.

Finally, I am flabbergasted that the Vikings would give Cousins a 2 year extension. I think they did it to free up cap space, but really was hoping they could get rid of him after next season if he does not take the team deep into the playoffs. Now they are stuck for 3 more years with a QB who cannot seem to win a playoff game, much less the Superbowl.
Cousins impressed me last season and oh, it seems you missed this rather big game, as a wild card team they knocked the Saints out of the playoff's last year so he HAS won a playoff game. They were simply outclassed on the road against the 49'ers, a new QB is not what the Vikings need.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010

Did you not see them beat the Saints in New Orleans in the playoffs last year?

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Did you not see them beat the Saints in New Orleans in the playoffs last year?
Did you ever hear of "The exception that proves the rule?"

If you look at his overall history, he has a very poor record in big games, and even against teams with winning records. One game does not disprove that. In fact IIRC, he came up with a couple of stinkers in very important games toward the end of the season when the Vikings had a chance to greatly improve their playoff seeding and get home field advantage for some of the playoffs.

And yes, maybe the Vikings were "outclassed" against the 49ers, but Cousins certainly did nothing to lift his team to the occasion. There are plenty of times when great QBs have led a team that was "outclassed" (see Brady multiple times with the Patriots for one, along with many others) to playoff or even SB wins.

I like Cousins; I think he is a hard working, dedicated QB with a very good arm. He certainly seems like the kind of person who will not get in trouble off the field. He just has not consistently proven able to win big games, play well under pressure, or lift his team up when they are playing poorly. He was terrible his first year here, and there were rumors that he did not get along well with some in the locker room. Last year was an improvement. I would simply have liked to see whether the coming year is a continuation of that improvement or a regression to the Cousins who plays poorly in big games. At the end of the year, *then* either offer him an extension or let him become a free agent.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
e61komqg1in41.jpg

yet another experiment destined for failure

• Haha
Reactions: BUTCH1

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Phil Rivers signs with the Colts. Sigh....
Yeah, I was hoping he would land with a good team.

Oh well, the Colts will be markedly better next year with him at QB, there's no doubt about that.
The Chargers are one of the crappiest franchises in sports. Hated to see him land there to begin with, and to stay there all those years. Dude has put up HOF numbers mostly with crap teams.
I still imagine if he and Big Ben would have been reversed....the Steelers would have at least one additional Super Bowl with Rivers there.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Yeah, I was hoping he would land with a good team.

Oh well, the Colts will be markedly better next year with him at QB, there's no doubt about that.
The Chargers are one of the crappiest franchises in sports. Hated to see him land there to begin with, and to stay there all those years. Dude has put up HOF numbers mostly with crap teams.
I still imagine if he and Big Ben would have been reversed....the Steelers would have at least one additional Super Bowl with Rivers there.
Hope Rivers still has enough left in the tank to make a good run with the Colts. He had a bad year last year (by his standards), even though it seemed there was a lot talent on the team. He seems to have the same deal that Cousins has, puts up great numbers but can never seem to put his team over the top.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Brady is gonna get killed this year in Tampa. He is really pushing his luck.

Nick Foles to the Bears is to do what....?

All these bad teams picking up players past their prime.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Brady is gonna get killed this year in Tampa. He is really pushing his luck.

Nick Foles to the Bears is to do what....?

All these bad teams picking up players past their prime.
Foles can atleast throw the ball in the receivers vacinity, unlike the Mitch

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Did you ever hear of "The exception that proves the rule?"

If you look at his overall history, he has a very poor record in big games, and even against teams with winning records. One game does not disprove that. In fact IIRC, he came up with a couple of stinkers in very important games toward the end of the season when the Vikings had a chance to greatly improve their playoff seeding and get home field advantage for some of the playoffs.

And yes, maybe the Vikings were "outclassed" against the 49ers, but Cousins certainly did nothing to lift his team to the occasion. There are plenty of times when great QBs have led a team that was "outclassed" (see Brady multiple times with the Patriots for one, along with many others) to playoff or even SB wins.

I like Cousins; I think he is a hard working, dedicated QB with a very good arm. He certainly seems like the kind of person who will not get in trouble off the field. He just has not consistently proven able to win big games, play well under pressure, or lift his team up when they are playing poorly. He was terrible his first year here, and there were rumors that he did not get along well with some in the locker room. Last year was an improvement. I would simply have liked to see whether the coming year is a continuation of that improvement or a regression to the Cousins who plays poorly in big games. At the end of the year, *then* either offer him an extension or let him become a free agent.
Tough to lift your team" when they cannot run block, (21yds, entire game) or pass block, (6 sacks allowed). You give zero viable options as to who the Vikings would get as a replacement who would give them a better chance of winning than Cousins, here's a hint, THERE ARE NONE that are free agents. Vikings much better off going after some help on that horrible O-line.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Tough to lift your team" when they cannot run block, (21yds, entire game) or pass block, (6 sacks allowed). You give zero viable options as to who the Vikings would get as a replacement who would give them a better chance of winning than Cousins, here's a hint, THERE ARE NONE that are free agents. Vikings much better off going after some help on that horrible O-line.
One major problem with Cousins is that he holds the ball *way, way* too long, resulting in guess what, sacks and fumbles.
Again I am not saying Cousins is a terrible QB, he just hasnt proven that he plays consistently (or even occasionally unless you count one game as "occasionally") well in big games.
And it doesn't matter who is/was available as a free agent this year, because we were stuck with a 20+ million dollar guaranteed contract for Cousins. Instead of that, now though, we are stuck with 3 more years at 20+ million per year. They should have let him finish the current contract, then either let him go, offer an extension, or even franchise him, based on what happens this year.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
One major problem with Cousins is that he holds the ball *way, way* too long, resulting in guess what, sacks and fumbles.
Again I am not saying Cousins is a terrible QB, he just hasnt proven that he plays consistently (or even occasionally unless you count one game as "occasionally") well in big games.
And it doesn't matter who is/was available as a free agent this year, because we were stuck with a 20+ million dollar guaranteed contract for Cousins. Instead of that, now though, we are stuck with 3 more years at 20+ million per year. They should have let him finish the current contract, then either let him go, offer an extension, or even franchise him, based on what happens this year.
He was already under contract for next season, he completed 69% of his passes last year with 26 TD's and 6 int's. those are pretty good numbers, "let him go" my ass, he's playing well, you want Flacco?, he's available.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
He was already under contract for next season, he completed 69% of his passes last year with 26 TD's and 6 int's. those are pretty good numbers, "let him go" my ass, he's playing well, you want Flacco?, he's available.
As was Phillip Rivers, Teddy Bridgewater, Nick Foles, Cam Newton, Jameis Winston, Andy Dalton and others. Would any of them have done better? Impossible to say. Point is, none of them were a reasonable option because Cousins has a huge guaranteed contract. Now, even if he has a bad year, we are stuck with a huge contract for an additional 2 years.

Last edited:

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
As was Phillip Rivers, Teddy Bridgewater, Nick Foles, Cam Newton, Jameis Winston, Andy Dalton and others. Would any of them have done better? Impossible to say. Point is, none of them were a reasonable option because Cousins has a huge guaranteed contract. Now, even if he has a bad year, we are stuck with a huge contract for an additional 2 years.
Rivers sucked last year, tons of picks and he's old, Foles got a big $$ contract from the Jags but he sucked as well. Jameis?, 33 TD's but 30 int's, he's gone, replaced by Brady, Cam's beat to hell and he's been replaced by Bridgewater. Dalton might be OK with a decent team around him, I really think you will be pleasantly surprised how Cousins will play going forward, he's tasted playoff action now and pulled off a huge upset on the road, I think he will do well from here on out.