NFL offseason thread

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
No discussion here so I thought we should start a thread.

Tom Brady confirms he isn't going to be back in NE
Stefon Diggs becomes a Bill
Texans mind-baffling trade of DeAndre Hopkins for David Johnson
Vikings extend Kirk Cousins
Amari Cooper signs $100 million contract
Dolphins aggressively assembling a new secondary
Bears sign washed-up TE Jimmy Graham for three times what he is probably worth

Discuss?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Cousins are doing for the Vikings exactly what he did for the Redskins. He gives you a glimmer of hope but in the end can't get it done. The only difference is the Redskins saw this and didn't pay him the outrageous money he wanted. And now the Vikings have extended him. And Diggs is gone.

The Cooper signing with Dak looking to make a ton of money is interesting. That is a lot of money to pay Cooper and they will have to do something with Dak, and obviously Zeke very soon too.

Nov 8, 2012
Everyone I see on Facebook is still dumbfounded on that Texans trade.

Oh well. Shit team gon' stay a shit team. Blowing 24pt leads in the playoffs, etc...

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Bill Obrien will be fired after this season. He's a decent coach (maybe) but he's trying to do too much with the GM role, and completely fucking it up. Trading a receiver that is arguably the best in the NFL while he's in his prime is just really stupid.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Cousins are doing for the Vikings exactly what he did for the Redskins. He gives you a glimmer of hope but in the end can't get it done. The only difference is the Redskins saw this and didn't pay him the outrageous money he wanted. And now the Vikings have extended him. And Diggs is gone.

The Cooper signing with Dak looking to make a ton of money is interesting. That is a lot of money to pay Cooper and they will have to do something with Dak, and obviously Zeke very soon too.
Just curious, if you don't consider Cousins a good QB, how many QBs do you think there are in this league who "can get it done?"

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
The DeAndre Hopkins for David Johnson trade makes NO sense. I read it and was like WTF, did they forget to mention the 3 other players they traded with DJ for Hopkins? Horrible trade.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
i also heard he is going to either bucs or chargers for 30$ million (or more)
I cannot see him going to the Bucs. Chargers are more likely. They've also mentioned the Raiders as a possible landing spot. But I can't see him signing with a team that isn't playoff bound with a chance to win the SB. I was sort of hoping he would come to the Titans for 1-2 years, but that's not going to happen with the signing of Ryan Tannehill.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
lol, this the first I've heard of Hopkins for Johnson. what a horribly stupid trade. Has Johnson ever played more than 1 full season? Even if he wasn't in the top 1% of the most injury prone, he's basically on the expected downcline for his age/position. what a terrible value

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
lol, this the first I've heard of Hopkins for Johnson. what a horribly stupid trade. Has Johnson ever played more than 1 full season? Even if he wasn't in the top 1% of the most injury prone, he's basically on the expected downcline for his age/position. what a terrible value

No joke. WTF was Houston thinking?

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
Dolphins aggressively assembling a new secondary
Discuss?
Lots of other things too so this one will go under the radar. As a Steeler fan I can say that Minkah Fitzpatrick is a freaking awesome player. So not Miami is trying to rebuild their secondary after trading away a great player.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Hopkins is damn good, i'm not against trading him at all but they should have gotten something other than a broken down David Johnson for him.

Reactions: zinfamous

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
i also heard he is going to either bucs or chargers for 30$ million (or more)
In reality he never wanted to leave NE, he asked for a multi-year contract last time around, a one-year deal was all that was offered. He took the $20 million for the one year deal but insisted he could not be franchised when it expired. Lst season his weapons were not that great, Edeleman is a premier slot guy but not a wideout, Josh Gordon went full Josh Gordon, (again), Antonio Brown would have been the chip he needed, but was could not keep his ego in check for 2 weeks straight. Sanu came over from the Falcons for a (gulp) 2nd round pick but tweaked his ankle and could not gain separation from anyone after that, Gronk was gone and no other TE they put out there did much of anything. It won't be easy for Brady though, he'll have to learn a different offense for the 1st time in 20 years and he's not exactly very mobile.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
In reality he never wanted to leave NE, he asked for a multi-year contract last time around, a one-year deal was all that was offered. He took the $20 million for the one year deal but insisted he could not be franchised when it expired. Lst season his weapons were not that great, Edeleman is a premier slot guy but not a wideout, Josh Gordon went full Josh Gordon, (again), Antonio Brown would have been the chip he needed, but was could not keep his ego in check for 2 weeks straight. Sanu came over from the Falcons for a (gulp) 2nd round pick but tweaked his ankle and could not gain separation from anyone after that, Gronk was gone and no other TE they put out there did much of anything. It won't be easy for Brady though, he'll have to learn a different offense for the 1st time in 20 years and he's not exactly very mobile.

dude should have retired, but it will be interesting to see, for the first time, Brady-less Belichick and Belichick-less Brady. I think the former will be the most successful...

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
dude should have retired, but it will be interesting to see, for the first time, Brady-less Belichick and Belichick-less Brady. I think the former will be the most successful...
Yea, I kind of agree, not that he can't throw anymore, it's the league trending towards faster and faster defensive players making an immobile QB even more of a target.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Phil Rivers signs with the Colts. Sigh....
Yea, he looked really wreckless last year with the chargers, the Colts have one of the premier offensive lines in the game, maybe that will help?. Brady apparently going to Tampa, warm weather and no state income tax. Now that he seems to be over the 199th pick his new angle will be "so I needed a stranger to offer me $30 mil because you didn't". I'll predict he'll do better in Tampa than Bill B will do with an Andy Dalton type QB as a replacement. Hey!, maybe we can get Brisset back now!.https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28918640/qb-tom-brady-expected-sign-buccaneers-sources-say

Nov 8, 2012
So with Tom Brady going to the Buccs.... I mean... He's basically just being a Brett Favre of coming back for money and not championships, right?

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
So with Tom Brady going to the Buccs.... I mean... He's basically just being a Brett Favre of coming back for money and not championships, right?
I really don't think it's a cash grab, for years he took team-friendly deals to help with the salary cap, it seems he finally wanted one last contract that was somewhat commensurate with his record, he didn't get it last year, he was offered $20 million, he took it as long as the club included a non-franchise tag binder. His TB 12 brand does well as does his supermodel wife, he's not exactly strapped for cash.