NFL offseason thread

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
ApNcrP0.jpg

DaBears

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
I was a fan of both when they were with the Pats. However, I kind of wish Gronk had stayed retired after going out on top. Dont see what he has to gain really, except for getting injured again.
We'll see, if Tampa is smart they'll use him a bit less than NE did, keep in mind he's still the best run-blocking TE to ever play and although he's not as fast he's good at using his body and catch radius effectively. Will make the opposing defense take playing the run and/or the play fake seriously.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
We'll see, if Tampa is smart they'll use him a bit less than NE did, keep in mind he's still the best run-blocking TE to ever play and although he's not as fast he's good at using his body and catch radius effectively. Will make the opposing defense take playing the run and/or the play fake seriously.
OJ Howard is a former #1 and a decent enough blocker and they also have Brate who was just given an extension and is likely traded now i would assume? they've got some nice skill players for Brady that is for sure..

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Please someone call up the Lions and take the #3 pick from them (unless Washington passes on Young)

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
OJ Howard is a former #1 and a decent enough blocker and they also have Brate who was just given an extension and is likely traded now i would assume? they've got some nice skill players for Brady that is for sure..
Yea, they will have to pay Gronk the final year of his contract from his Patriot days, $10 mil for the season, the Bucs will undoubtedly move one of those guys.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Yea, they will have to pay Gronk the final year of his contract from his Patriot days, $10 mil for the season, the Bucs will undoubtedly move one of those guys.
Probably will trade one, but they could run a two tight end offense a lot, with one backup for when Gronk gets hurt.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Last pic of G looked like he was down about 30lbs. Regainable but still.

At this point, I don't care. Give me some hope of football.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Grading drafts days after the draft ends is almost as dumb as doing mock drafts. I realize they need to fill time to talk about stuff but it's just 100% speculation.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Grading drafts days after the draft ends is almost as dumb as doing mock drafts. I realize they need to fill time to talk about stuff but it's just 100% speculation.
I agree its highly speculative but any chart that says fuck the Packers is worth discussing.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Probably will trade one, but they could run a two tight end offense a lot, with one backup for when Gronk gets hurt.
If they're smart Gronk won't be asked to catch a lot of balls over the middle, he's so valuable as a blocker it would be smart if the punishment a TE takes catching a lot of seam-type passes can be avoided.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
Still scratching my head, wondering WTF the Eagles are doing drafting a QB with a 2nd round pick.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
IMO, Wentz is yet to prove himself as a consistent winner.
Well duh just look at his production. But when you give him a contract like the Eagles did, you believe that he will be that person so picking a QB early in the draft leaves people scratching their head.

woodman1999

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2003
I know nobody here likes the pats, so this will probably be good news for a lot of people, but James Develin just retired. While losing Brady was the biggest loss for the team, make no mistake that this is far and away the 2nd biggest loss this offseason. I know people don't put a lot of stock in FB's, but the Patriots run game is essential this year and has looked terrible whenever Develin was out of the lineup.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
I know nobody here likes the pats, so this will probably be good news for a lot of people, but James Develin just retired. While losing Brady was the biggest loss for the team, make no mistake that this is far and away the 2nd biggest loss this offseason. I know people don't put a lot of stock in FB's, but the Patriots run game is essential this year and has looked terrible whenever Develin was out of the lineup.
Well, I am one of the few who likes the pats. I agree, the loss of Devlin will hurt. He was out most of last year, and that was part of the problem on offense I think. Losing both him and Gronk took a lot away from the blocking.

Mar 11, 2004
They obviously won't, but the NFL should test the shit out of Gronk. A year off where he dropped a ton of weight/mass and championed pot? I'm sure he'll be clean as he gets back into NFL shape. Oh that's right him and Tom are just gonna be clean eating. Will be interesting to see how things go, but I won't be surprised if we see Peyton Manning 2.0 part II where the NFL does everything possible to ignore and enable so they can get a wonder year from their wonderboy.

Hill just received a 3 year - 21 million contract

then they sign Jameis as backup to Brees...

Remember when people were bitching that Brees was fucking the Saints with his too expensive contract? Granted he's getting old and missed a chunk of games last year (I don't recall if he's missed many other recent years). Which, I guess you could argue he still is as he's making the Saints spend a ton extra on backups for him now too.

Possibly develop a quality backup in-house?.

Yeah this sounds like Andy Reid logic. Develop a guy, if you need him use him, if not trade him for picks as QB needy teams take a chance (where-in few QBs have the same success without Reid). Still surprising they took one that high, but it kinda makes sense as rookie contracts should be cheap. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they do something crazy and look to trade Wentz, looking to ride the cheap QB on rookie contract wave that some people think is the main/smart way to a Lombardi trophy. If I were them I'd try to sow some chaos on Dallas and call them and see if they'd be interested, then leak the response in the media (even if they resoundingly made it clear they weren't interested, it'll still be a story).

Maybe there's something they know about Wentz that would indicate he might not last long. Or maybe they're just hedging their bets after Andrew Luck.

That sounds like them trying to fluff things to not spook their fickle (shithead) fanbase. There's also a LOT of teams doing revisionist history claiming they were super duper high on Wilson. Same shit with Mahomes.

Which I have no clue how they'll swing his contract. Unless they have like some secret contract promising him some huge guaranteed payout if he's willing to roll on his rookie contract to keep as much of the team together as they can. Most seem to assume that Chris Jones will be gone but they seem to want to keep him. I'm still surprised they kept Watkins.

Speaking of Reid, this was his highest drafted RB? Seems like an odd move as they drafted one fairly high last year, signed one of Mahomes former teammates in college, and then after Williams balled out in the playoffs. But should be a good fit. Seems like they're still trying to replace Kareem Hunt. There was one article saying that if Ruggs had still be available in the 20s the Chiefs would've traded up to get him. But then seems you can't have too many speedy options (especially since Hill and Watkins have both missed time).

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
They obviously won't, but the NFL should test the shit out of Gronk. A year off where he dropped a ton of weight/mass and championed pot? I'm sure he'll be clean as he gets back into NFL shape. Oh that's right him and Tom are just gonna be clean eating. Will be interesting to see how things go, but I won't be surprised if we see Peyton Manning 2.0 part II where the NFL does everything possible to ignore and enable so they can get a wonder year from their wonderboy.

just an fyi but they (NFL) will no longer be testing for weed

• Love
Reactions: zinfamous