Discussion NFL Divisional Round thread + poll

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Make your picks!

• Bengals

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Titans

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • 49ers

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Packers

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Rams

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Bucs

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Bills

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • Chiefs

Votes: 8 36.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Bengals vs Chiefs

49ers vs Rams

Not that excited for the SB anymore...:rolleyes:

I do believe we watched the real 2021/22 Super Bowl tonight.

Remember it happened nearly EVERY year in the 1990's though so don't feel too bad. (just with the NFC)

Reactions: Saylick

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I do believe we watched the real Super Bowl tonight.
I wouldn't count out Aaron Donald taking over games. Now, if the Rams manage to bungle it against San Francisco, the Super Bowl is for the Chiefs' taking.

Chiefs D is weaker than the Titans' though...if the Burrow and Chase connection works, even they could be upset by the Bengals.

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
They really ought to change the OT rule about "first to score a TD wins". I mean, if in the post-season the OT rules are that if the score is still tied that there be another OT round, why not just let the teams play until someone comes out ahead by the end of the play clock?

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Not a good night for Butker or Succop. Succop couldn't get bailed out while Butker barely was. One is the current Chiefs' kicker while the other is the former Chiefs' kicker.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
They really ought to change the OT rule about "first to score a TD wins". I mean, if in the post-season the OT rules are that if the score is still tied that there be another OT round, why not just let the teams play until someone comes out ahead by the end of the play clock?

maybe a soccer-type touchdown shootout

best out of 5

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
maybe a soccer-type touchdown shootout

best out of 5
I'd honestly be cool if they just did 15 minutes of OT and if the score is still tied, they go for a field goal shootout. Start at 15 yards and just move 5 yards back until one team misses.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Drama much?, Allen is not why they lost, the coin toss is why they lost.
I could've sworn the Bills lost because they allowed a game-tying FG with just 13 seconds on the clock. The defense on the play before the tying FG was particularly egregious, they had 3 DBs downfield guarding the end zone.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Buffalo gave away their instrument of success to another. And they have now been blocked every time by said player.
For some reason or another they thought Tyrod Taylor was a long term solution, he was not. Allen is as good as it gets but in these high-power offense shootouts it's more often than not who gets the ball last, when KC lost in OT to the Pats KC was wining for months about how unfair the rules were for OT play but they did have a point, very good offense's will gas out any defense through 4Qtrs.

Reactions: jman19

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
I could've sworn the Bills lost because they allowed a game-tying FG with just 13 seconds on the clock. The defense on the play before the tying FG was particularly egregious, they had 3 DBs downfield guarding the end zone.
Fair point, I thought why not kick it to the 5 and make KC burn off some of that 14 seconds. Maybe the relative ease of Hill burning them for a TD just 1.5 minutes prior might have made them a bit gunshy.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Yup. This pisses me off way more than losing the coin toss. 13 fucking seconds and you play against the hail mary when the Chiefs have 3 timeouts and only need 3? And you don't squib the kickoff? Ugh.

Reactions: digiram

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Yup. This pisses me off way more than losing the coin toss. 13 fucking seconds and you play against the hail mary when the Chiefs have 3 timeouts and only need 3? And you don't squib the kickoff? Ugh.
It didn't make any sense. Based on the field position, everyone knew the Chiefs were trying to pick up enough yards for a long FG attempt. Failing that, the Chiefs would've then gone for a Hail Mary. I think they would've had Butker kick anything up to 60 yards.

But the Bills defensive alignment was for the final play of the game rather than the second to final play. :mad:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
McDermott learned from one of the best at mismanagement of clock, Andy Reid. ;)

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
It didn't make any sense. Based on the field position, everyone knew the Chiefs were trying to pick up enough yards for a long FG attempt. Failing that, the Chiefs would've then gone for a Hail Mary. I think they would've had Butker kick anything up to 60 yards.

But the Bills defensive alignment was for the final play of the game rather than the second to final play. :mad:
That logic works for pretty much every team but the Chiefs. They are totally capable of scoring a TD on any play if you give them the room to do so. In hindsight, where the Bills messed up is punting to the end zone instead of keeping the ball in play. Even then, it's hard to fault the Bills because they must have run the mental math and thought that the odds of Tyreek Hill returning the ball for a TD were higher than the Chiefs scoring a FG with 14 seconds left. Tons of teams would've made the same decision because the want to kill the chance of a kickoff return TD.

Point is, we can go on and on about where the Bills messed up. I think the only thing we can truly conclude is that even with 14 seconds, the Chiefs are a major threat.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Point is, we can go on and on about where the Bills messed up. I think the only thing we can truly conclude is that even with 14 seconds, the Chiefs are a major threat.

With KC almost no lead is safe.... even with time for only one play they can kill you.

And the Bills are not far behind in that regard. I suspect we'll be seeing this matchup in the post-season again!

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
With KC almost no lead is safe.... even with time for only one play they can kill you.

And the Bills are not far behind in that regard. I suspect we'll be seeing this matchup in the post-season again!
The Bills will be no longer a serious threat after two years when Mac Jones fully blooms into fruition and the Patriots restore themselves to the throne of the AFC East.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
That logic works for pretty much every team but the Chiefs. They are totally capable of scoring a TD on any play if you give them the room to do so. In hindsight, where the Bills messed up is punting to the end zone instead of keeping the ball in play. Even then, it's hard to fault the Bills because they must have run the mental math and thought that the odds of Tyreek Hill returning the ball for a TD were higher than the Chiefs scoring a FG with 14 seconds left. Tons of teams would've made the same decision because the want to kill the chance of a kickoff return TD.

Since you're a Niners fan, I'll forgive you for not understanding football strategy. j/k

The Hail Mary is low probability, on average about 10% are converted. It's the play you call when you have no time and options left. When the Chiefs had the ball with 8 seconds left, they were trying to get a chunk play of 15-20 yards and then kick a tying FG. Because this is more likely than hitting a Hail Mary. The announcers were actively discussing how long of a field goal attempt Butker could attempt.

The Bills had the wrong defense called and easily yielded 25. You're right that Mahomes is very special, but coaches must understand game situations. I understand the defense was tired, but they were put into a position to fail by the DC.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Since you're a Niners fan, I'll forgive you for not understanding football strategy. j/k

The Hail Mary is low probability, on average about 10% are converted. It's the play you call when you have no time and options left. When the Chiefs had the ball with 8 seconds left, they were trying to get a chunk play of 15-20 yards and then kick a tying FG. Because this is more likely than hitting a Hail Mary. The announcers were actively discussing how long of a field goal attempt Butker could attempt.

The Bills had the wrong defense called and easily yielded 25. You're right that Mahomes is very special, but coaches must understand game situations. I understand the defense was tired, but they were put into a position to fail by the DC.
I dunno, perhaps they thought if Mahomes saw the back end close in he might fire one over their heads and bye-bye goes the cheetah, again. more egregious to me was not forcing KC into taking the kickoff from the 5 or from a squib kick, they get it at the 25 with not one second burned off. I hope the Bengals kick the snot out of KC next week, no one is giving them a chance and that's a mistake IMO.

Reactions: digiram

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

Vegeta always gets lit up by Goku, even imposters. Bills are football's Vegeta. And the Chiefs/Mahomes are the Goku to that Vegeta.

Embrace the status of the Bills as being mere appetizers.