NFC/RFID Authentication Flow

ISAslot

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2001
Our facility just got upgraded with new door readers that can use NFC through cards or phones to grant access. I'd like to also use cards or phones to provide authentication to our instrument use system. Could anyone direct me to information on how I would securely set this up? We were provided some NFC readers to test with. They are USB. When you plug them in and scan they emulate a keyboard and type a number. I could associate this number with users but this doesn't seem very secure. Shouldn't there be some key exchange during this process?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
The code is supposed to be checked by the keycard access control system. I don't quite get what you are asking.

ISAslot

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2001
The code is identical each time. How would this 'check' take place? What's stopping someone from obtaining the code and programming an identical NFC card?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
It's very old tech, like 1980s. Just because you use your phone instead of a card doesn't change that fact. All the reader does is read the code. The control system check the code against access table of that particular lock. If it is within allowed time. It unlocks.

It doesn't care who holds the card, why do you think it will care if it is the same code every time?

Last edited: