nf2 board stopped turning on ??!!?

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
i had this problem with a dfi lanparty board just before i returned it
but now it's happening with my abit nf7-s 2.0
i tryed clearing the cmos and using the insert key trick but it just won't start the post process

is my only option to buy a new bios chip here ??

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
well i just ordered a bios survival kit from excaliberpc were i got my board from
hope this helps

anyone else have a fix for this problem ??

it did this after attempting 220fsb from 211
what a bummer

leeperpsu

Jul 10, 2003
make sure that the jumper to reset the CMOS is in the right position. i had that problem once where i thought my mobo was blown but it was only my stupidity.

good luck it really sucks that your having all these problems with so many mobos.

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
geez i just got it to boot with one module
lucky me

welp i already ordered the bios replacement kit and the extractor
ohh well i'll prob need it some day anyways

woohooo
now i'll still be able to do my vdd mod tomarrow

i wanna hit these 220 to 235 fsb speeds that i keep hearing about

i just added custom cut copper heatsinks to the nb and sb with 40mm fans today
that let me reach 211 but i think more voltage is needed to get higher

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
i just payed over 400 bucks for 2 sticks of mushkin black hi perf level2 pc3500
it is rated at 217 222-6
i can run it in dual channel at those timings up to about 220 on 1.8v
but the chipset itself isn't liking anything over 211 for the fsb for some odd reason

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I've saved a couple boards that did the no post after overclocks by pulling the power cord, removing the battery and CMOS jumper, unseating the bios chip, and letting it sit for 10-15min then reseating the bios chip, putting everything back and holding the insert key. It didn't work the first time on either but the 2nd time each fully recovered.

I would first make certain your case power button isn't flakey by shorting the pins with a screwdriver though. Also, it's a good idea to only change a few settings at a time when in the bios and let the board boot to the desktop then reboot and change a few more, especially overclock settings. Many have nuked their bios by "going for the throat" but I've seen a great deal less of that with newer bios revisions on NF2 boards. Another cold boot issue I've seen is due to the system trying to use the default mutiplier and vcore to boot regardless of what you set in the bios and the CPU simply can't handle the resulting speed with those settings in which case pulling the power cord and battery for a minute resolved it or in some cases just turning the power switch off long enough to kill the 5v standby.

jswjimmy

Jul 24, 2003
Originally posted by: DAPUNISHER
I've saved a couple boards that did the no post after overclocks by pulling the power cord, removing the battery and CMOS jumper, unseating the bios chip, and letting it sit for 10-15min then reseating the bios chip, putting everything back and holding the insert key. It didn't work the first time on either but the 2nd time each fully recovered.

I would first make certain your case power button isn't flakey by shorting the pins with a screwdriver though. Also, it's a good idea to only change a few settings at a time when in the bios and let the board boot to the desktop then reboot and change a few more, especially overclock settings. Many have nuked their bios by "going for the throat" but I've seen a great deal less of that with newer bios revisions on NF2 boards. Another cold boot issue I've seen is due to the system trying to use the default mutiplier and vcore to boot regardless of what you set in the bios and the CPU simply can't handle the resulting speed with those settings in which case pulling the power cord and battery for a minute resolved it or in some cases just turning the power switch off long enough to kill the 5v standby.
yay i did that with my old p2 whin i oc to 480 or so with a 350 saw some smoke it shutdown wouldent turn back on took it appart put it back together the next day and it worked and it still does(but its sitting in my closet)

Rafael

May 11, 2001
Had the same problem here. But at my first boot! :(
RMAed the board today, I gonna wait till next week to get the new one.
Is it just the Abit boards or the other brands seems to happen this same problem too?

Raf

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: render
Originally posted by: beatle
Wow, $400 for ram... you are out of control!

You gotta hit at least 220FSB, otherwise you are wasting your ram.

yeah i think i am wasting my money
cause i got two sticks of 512mb that are rated at 2-2-2-6 @ 217mhz
but that is just their single channel rated performance
dual might make them run slower

i was hoping i would be able to hit 230 or more with slower timings and a bit more voltage

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Rafael
Had the same problem here. But at my first boot! :(
RMAed the board today, I gonna wait till next week to get the new one.
Is it just the Abit boards or the other brands seems to happen this same problem too?

Raf

no it seems like many nf2 boards do this
I had to rma my dfi lanparty cause of this issue

ohh well i ordered a backup bios replacement kit for my abit board so i should never have to worry bout it