Nexus 7 Rooting: why?

kevinsbane

Jun 16, 2010
It seems that the Nexus 7 has been rooted (for a while now). I am wondering... why do people root the Nexus 7? What can you do with a rooted Nexus 7 that you can't do with an unrooted one?

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
ROMs, kernels, backing up applications, themes...

The only thing I would root mine for is to get into the tablet mode UI as opposed to phablet.

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
For me...

AdAway (adblocker)
Titantium Backup Pro (apps and data backup)
Stickmount (USB OTG)
AOSP Browser (best browser for playing Flash for me).

I may flash a custom kernel later and over clock.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
So you can do whatever you want with it. Besides more advanced stuff like custom ROMs and kernels, there are a plethora of very useful apps that require root. Why the hell would you want to be limited in what apps you're allowed to use?

kevinsbane

Jun 16, 2010
ROMs, kernels, backing up applications, themes...

The only thing I would root mine for is to get into the tablet mode UI as opposed to phablet.

ROMS? kernels?

Can you not back up your nexus without rooting it?

USB OTG capability.

I'm guessing this is for expanding the storage capacity?

I may flash a custom kernel later and over clock.

Overclocking a tablet D: I think I'll avoid that personally heh.

So you can do whatever you want with it. Besides more advanced stuff like custom ROMs and kernels, there are a plethora of very useful apps that require root. Why the hell would you want to be limited in what apps you're allowed to use?

What do custom ROMs and kernels allow you to do? From Ravynmagi, he said you can overclock. What else do they let you do that you can't do without rooting it?

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Hmmm... the OP raises a valid point though. I thought the whole point of rooting was to do stuff you're locked out of doing on your device. And I thought the whole point of the Nexus line was bare Android with none of those restrictions. If you still have to root to do what you want, how is a Nexus device different from any other?

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
What do custom ROMs and kernels allow you to do? From Ravynmagi, he said you can overclock. What else do they let you do that you can't do without rooting it?

They can add tons of tweaks that improve performance and battery level life built in. Extra options in settings. Updated drivers for things like WiFi and GPS. Also newer Android versions before OTA updates. Remove bullshit apps, or at least give the user the ability to delete shit like Facebook or whatever.

Hmmm... the OP raises a valid point though. I thought the whole point of rooting was to do stuff you're locked out of doing on your device. And I thought the whole point of the Nexus line was bare Android with none of those restrictions. If you still have to root to do what you want, how is a Nexus device different from any other?
Nexus is stock android. It doesn't have the custom stuff like Touchwiz from Samsung or Sense from HTC etc.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002

I think you misunderstand what Nexus is. It's simply Google's vision of Android and is updated directly by them. That's it. Nexus is not perfect device with limitless functions. There are things missing that people want. Rooting gives them a way to add the missing features or functions.

I rooted the Nexus 7 so I could install StickMount, Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper, Flash, and the missing stock browser so I can play Flash videos. Stock browser is still the fastest browser and best at playing Flash.

I'm tempted to flash custom kernel to try to solve the standby battery drain issue. My Nexus 7 has trouble going into deep sleep because my router keeps waking it up. This is my first Android device with that problem.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
You can't play video off external flash yet with Stickmount, can you?

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
^ pretty sure you can.

i rooted to install paranoidandroid which lets me have my music and maps apps extra large for in car use, while keeping my other apps nice and crisp.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
I only rooted mine because I bought the 8gb version not thinking I'd need more space. Stickmount & USB OTG solved that problem right away. I haven't really messed with it except to stream moveis onto it for my daughter and let her use it read e-books etc.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
^ pretty sure you can.

i rooted to install paranoidandroid which lets me have my music and maps apps extra large for in car use, while keeping my other apps nice and crisp.

Have you tried it? I ask because the first reports specifically reported you couldn't. You had to copy the video files over to play them. You couldnt directly play them iff external flash. I was wondering if that was fixed yet.

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
Have you tried it? I ask because the first reports specifically reported you couldn't. You had to copy the video files over to play them. You couldnt directly play them iff external flash. I was wondering if that was fixed yet.

I tested it, copied an MP4 video that play fine from the local storage to the micro SD card. Gallery freezes up when trying to open it, MX Player fails and says it can't play the video. Mobo player says it can't open the file.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002

That was fixed over a month ago when Chainfire updated his Stickmount app. Everything works like it should now on Nexus 7, same as the Galaxy Nexus. I tested a movie on my thumb drive and DicePlayer found the movie and played it perfectly off the thumb drive. There's now even kernel that supports NFS.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I think you misunderstand what Nexus is. It's simply Google's vision of Android and is updated directly by them. That's it. Nexus is not perfect device with limitless functions. There are things missing that people want. Rooting gives them a way to add the missing features or functions.

I rooted the Nexus 7 so I could install StickMount, Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper, Flash, and the missing stock browser so I can play Flash videos. Stock browser is still the fastest browser and best at playing Flash.

I'm tempted to flash custom kernel to try to solve the standby battery drain issue. My Nexus 7 has trouble going into deep sleep because my router keeps waking it up. This is my first Android device with that problem.

I understand why it's done, but I'm more questioning why it HAS to be done. As in, if it's already stock and not locked down by anybody, why does it have to be rooted before that custom stuff can be done?

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
I understand why it's done, but I'm more questioning why it HAS to be done. As in, if it's already stock and not locked down by anybody, why does it have to be rooted before that custom stuff can be done?

The Nexus *is* stock but it is *still* locked down so certain functionality is still impossible. Rooting it unlocks it essentially. Think of the Nexus as free of carrier bloat and carrier customizations. It's pure Google. But it's still locked down.

For example, at least on the Nexus, the goddamn battery indicator on the upper task bar is just downright dumb. There's no percentage indicator, and when the icon looks to be 75% full it's actually closer to 50%. I would love to replace that indicator icon with just percentages so I know exactly how much battery I have left.

On stock Nexus the upper taskbar is locked and you can't edit it because you need root access in order to edit that part of the OS. When you root your phone, you gain access to edit that part and can then proceed to replace that f*$*ing battery icon with something that's not dog S@*#&.

Last edited:

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
So, what's the easiest reliable root method?

How hard is it to install NFS support?

If I'm to get a Nexus 7, I'm not entirely keen on installing a new kernel for this. I'd rather just root and stop there.

Chocu1a

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2009
Used WUGS on my N7. As of right now, I am unlocked & rooted. Everything else is stock.
I used root to install & backup my app with TB, install StickMount for usb otg, & installed flash & stock browser from my G.Nex.
No need for kernel or custom rom at this point.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Hmmm... Any drawbacks to the unlock/root? I was thinking of waiting until the iPad mini and the Acer Iconia Tab A110 were out, but it turns out Staples here may have some of these in stock, so I might just forget about waiting.

The iPad mini makes more sense in terms of iCloud, etc. since I'm primarily a Mac/iPhone household, but that's not a deal killer. The A110's microSD is very welcome, but a rooted Nexus 7 with Stickmount is a reaonable compromise, and the Nexus 7 likely has a much better screen and better battery life. (Too bad neither have NTFS support.)

My usage will be mainly:

1. Surfing
2. Yahoo! email
3. Netflix
4. MKV playback
5. Viewing my IP cameras. Apparently there are apps that support my cameras.
6. Angry Birds of course.

phantom404

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2004
Use mine mostly for an app called Sixasix Controller....lets me connect my ps3 controller by Bluetooth and use it to play some games in the play store along with all the classics using emulators(nes, snes, etc...)