Nexus 7 2012 feeling slow these days.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
My Nexus 7 2012 seems to be lagging a lot these days. I figured with the addition of TRIM a while back, and the more streamlined and supposedly memory efficient kit kat, it should feel faster, but if anything it feels slower than before. Occasionally there will be lags of a couple of seconds here and there. Not quite as bad as my 4.1 dual-core RAZR HD, but still noticeable.

Has anyone noticed anything similar? It is not due to lack of storage, since I currently have over 11 GB free on this 16 GB model. Are the Google apps like Chrome just getting bigger? The 2012 Nexus 7 only has 1 GB RAM.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
My Nexus 7 2012 seems to be lagging a lot these days. I figured with the addition of TRIM a while back, and the more streamlined and supposedly memory efficient kit kat, it should feel faster, but if anything it feels slower than before. Occasionally there will be lags of a couple of seconds here and there. Not quite as bad as my 4.1 dual-core RAZR HD, but still noticeable.

Has anyone noticed anything similar? It is not due to lack of storage, since I currently have over 11 GB free on this 16 GB model. Are the Google apps like Chrome just getting bigger? The 2012 Nexus 7 only has 1 GB RAM.

Mine was getting a little laggy under 4.3, but I did have all the storage almost entirely full. I gave it a factory reset just prior to it getting the KitKat ota. Still has the occasional stutter, and no its no where near as fast as my Note 8. But I wouldn't call it unusable.

There's some variations in the NAND speeds on the N7 2012, making some devices degrade quicker.

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
How much free space do you have? Anything less than 3 GB and performance falls off a cliff. At least that is what happened to mine and my friends awhile back.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
My N7 (2012) got slower over time even with TRIM. I suppose the NAND was not up to the task as it gets filled. I restored the stock image before selling it, and it felt as snappy as it was on day one. Not sure who's more responsible, the OS or the NAND. My Nexus 4 has held up fine to date but there isn't much data in there. (It's a $200 8GB version)

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
How much free space do you have? Anything less than 3 GB and performance falls off a cliff. At least that is what happened to mine and my friends awhile back.

11 GB free.

My 2013 N7 and S4 do that too sometimes, like once a day. It's Android.

It happens several times a day now and it is noticeably worse than it was several months ago when I only had around 3-5 GB free.

My N7 (2012) got slower over time even with TRIM. I suppose the NAND was not up to the task as it gets filled. I restored the stock image before selling it, and it felt as snappy as it was on day one. Not sure who's more responsible, the OS or the NAND. My Nexus 4 has held up fine to date but there isn't much data in there. (It's a $200 8GB version)
I'm thinking I may just have to factory reset it even though I have 11 GB free. It is just a PITA though since there is no true native restore function. Mind you if I did a complete restore I'd possibly run into the same problem so maybe that's a moot point.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
It happens several times a day now and it is noticeably worse than it was several months ago when I only had around 3-5 GB free.

Ok, that is not normal.

Do you have root access so you can clear the Dalvik Cache?

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
And don't forget Tegra 3's 32-bit single channel memory which maxes out at 6.4 GB/s in theory. In practice the bandwidth is probably half that. The more stuff is running in the background, the worse things get. Run task manager or something of the sort and see how many things are vying for resources.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Do you have root access so you can clear the Dalvik Cache?
Not rooted. I had even more problems (stability, battery life) when I was rooted, due to a few third party apps that require root.

And don't forget Tegra 3's 32-bit single channel memory which maxes out at 6.4 GB/s in theory. In practice the bandwidth is probably half that. The more stuff is running in the background, the worse things get. Run task manager or something of the sort and see how many things are vying for resources.
OK good idea. In the meantime I've been just killing apps manually and/or rebooting periodically.