nexus 5x bugs... anyone have these issues? why can't google make a phone that does the basics right

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
so i've had apparently the 3 worst nexus devices ever.

anyhow I got a 5x about 4 months ago. I've noticed 2 bizarre bugs with it. sometimes if i connect an aux cable from my car to the phone, the aux output doesnt work. it seems to happen mostly if i connect the usb C port to the car first then the aux port.

I've googled this and found its a weird LG thing? anyone else have this happen. In my case i can either reboot the phone or shut off my car and turn it back on and it fixes it usually.

Another thing i've had with the 5x is .... i am on a lot of conference calls for work. sometimes i have noticed that if i haven't rebooted my phone in a while i can't speak during calls. I can hear everything, but its like the mute button is on. I can't unmute, and no one can hear me. So I have to reboot my phone (sometimes hanging up and calling back has worked).

This has actually led to 2 really embarassing conference calls for me.

Anyhow, so far i've had a galaaxy nexus , nexus 5 and a 5x. and i'd say for the most part they were all kinda mediocre to awful, especially with basic functionality like this. WTF google right?

o306

Mar 23, 2015
Nope, not just you.

I was going to blame your problems on LG since the 5x and the 5 are both made by LG, and the Nexus 4 (another LG) was equally buggy for me and a few other people I know, but then you mentioned the Galaxy Nexus which was made by Samsung.

I never understood why the Nexus/Google phones got so much praise by tech people, they were OK phones, but compared to the competition, nothing special. The only thing they won on sometimes was the price.

People praise it for "pure Android", but "pure Android" has been missing a lot of useful features that almost every other phone manufacturer put into their Android phones.

Finally with Nougat, Google seems to have caught up now with features so the Google phones won't be lacking, but I don't trust the hardware or the overall final package.

Add in the price and the short support window, I'll pass.

Reactions: Lodix

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
well i feel better now , i thought i was just crazy. i'm actually ironically an android developer for work. we just got the pixel phones at work, and i'm selling my nexus 5x (as soon as my moto Z play comes in).

i don't know why i keep getting tempted by google , at least with the nexus phones the phones were cheap if not randomly buggy. but they were cheap. even the nexus player doesnt fully work (we have them at work and all the other android TVs actually implement digital rights management better, go figure).

was playing with a pixel today. honsetly for $700-900. the phones feel like $400 phones. yeah they are fast and have competitive specs. but I've got an S7 on my desk, that i've had as my work phone for 7 months. and its just as fast , and feels twice as expensive . and given their track record of barely tested software for the nexus devices, i'm guessing the pixels will be pretty bad in that regard.

Reactions: Baron Fel

o306

Mar 23, 2015
If I listed out the various problems, fixes, non-fixes, warranty repairs, and out-of-warranty repairs, I and others I know had with the various Nexus phones you would feel even less crazy, but it would take a while and I'd rather forget and move-on.

Even had a battery swell and punch through the back of one of the phones (yay for non-removable batteries...soooo PREMIUM!!!)

The only worse devices out there in the mid-to-high price range are LG phones with the bootloop issues.

Other than that, Nexus phones are over-hyped by the tech community. Regular people wisely ignored (and laughed at once they started those nonsensical commercials) the series of devices.

As far as the Pixel goes, I don't know why anyone would buy one over an iPhone 7 or a Samsung S7. They are lucky that the Note 7 crashed because then the Pixel would be an even worse value than it already is.

Still won't help with sales though, this phone is going to get ignored by the non-tech community as well. Hell the LG V20 is going to be a sales dud (just like the G5 and V10) and they are sold by the carriers.

Pixel that you can't find anywhere but Verizon starting at $649 or go with the iPhone 7, 6s Plus, or Samsung S7 at the same price or even much cheaper depending on where you buy it like Costco with easy-to-get in-store carrier financing?

Keep in mind, I have never owned an iPhone or Samsung phone of any kind so I am no fan of those brands at all.

All phones are lacking in someway, but Google phones seem to lack most-of-all at any particular price point when compared to the competition.

But then again, maybe I'm crazy too and I just can't see the greatness of Google.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Given that your warranty information is old hat; Google's replacement and warranty support has been phenomenal for a full year at the least.

You keep bringing up these other phones without ever once saying what their clear-cut advantage is. While simultaneously forgetting about the 24/7 built-in support and unlimited full resolution photo and video backups. The fact that the Pixel camera is probably the fastest on the market (at least for Android) and one of, if not the best smartphone cameras available right now.

But that's not to say those others don't have advantages, they do. It all boils down to what a user wants and what their preferences are.

You ignore that Verizon is the nation's largest carrier, and that's nothing to sneeze at. Let's not forget that it was Verizon's clout that really put Android in the limelight in the first place. You seem to ignore that the Pixels can be had with interest-free finance plans as well. Just as easily, as Verizon has been doing those for a while as well. And you say only Verizon, but that's wrong. Google sells them directly.

Now, that's obviously not ubiquitous availability, but it still doesn't make you right.

You're ignoring all the reviews that have come out and praised the phone as the best Android phone on the market right now. I mean, keep feeling how you do, I can't stop that. But at least update your information.

Reactions: Red Storm

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
sometimes if i connect an aux cable from my car to the phone, the aux output doesnt work.
I haven't had this problem, but I have noticed that the headphone jack is really hard to plug into properly. You have to push until it snaps. Have you tried pushing harder?

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
I haven't had this problem, but I have noticed that the headphone jack is really hard to plug into properly. You have to push until it snaps. Have you tried pushing harder?

basically i figured out that it happens more if i connect the charger cable first, then the aux cable. i definitely tried plugging it in and unplugging it over and over. never happened on any other phone i've had.

that said, i have a moto z play in my hand now. having had a bunch of motorola phones before i'm guessing this should be fine. plus somehow a snapdragon 625 feels much much smoother than the 808 in the nexus 5x

Seven

Jan 26, 2000
I have learned long ago about Nexus devices being half baked.

Nexus 4 - Great device coming from the Samsung Galaxy SII. Really changed my view about the stock android.

Nexus 5 - Just a meh device that couldn't get into it. Popping speaker, unpleasant hand feel.

2013 Moto X - Best device ever. Owned it for almost 3 years before it basically died. The Motorola software experience is multiple times better than Google stock.

Nexus 5x - Played a couple days with it and returned. Poor performance and overall not much of a difference from the Nexus 5. Did not like it.

Nexus 6P - Could have been great device, but still with tons of issues. It's big, uncomfortable to hold, definitely not pocket friendly (need a purse for that), heavy, scratchy aluminum design (would have preferred lightweight plastic). The stock Google experience has become a cluster shit, unexcited and boring. I no longer care about the Android 7. Not much of a difference from the Lollipop.. Owned it for 4 months before I decided to let it go.

Moto G4 Play - I am using this 5" device while await for the OP3. It's a joy to use and I don't miss a thing from the 6p, maybe a better screen...

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
A lot of your half-baked items are subjective and only apply to you. The others stem from the price of the Nexus phones. They were cheap, you got what you paid for. Lumping Pixel in with Nexus only really works if we talk about software, otherwise take it as it is intended; a new line and not the continuation of the Nexus.

Flip side to that is my three year old N5 still doing great. Camera is a bit garbage, but it was a cheap, powerful phone. Feels better in hand than the 2015 Moto G, at least. That's our backup phone. Had to wait for a new battery.

Anyone complaining about the look of Android is ignorant. It's Android. If you're bored with something, change it. I never once understood the people bagging on the Pixel launcher. It's a launcher, get a new one if you don't like it. That's the whole point of the OS. That was an example. I'm not putting words into anyone's mouth.

Kazukian

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2016
A lot of your half-baked items are subjective and only apply to you. The others stem from the price of the Nexus phones. They were cheap, you got what you paid for. Lumping Pixel in with Nexus only really works if we talk about software, otherwise take it as it is intended; a new line and not the continuation of the Nexus.

Flip side to that is my three year old N5 still doing great. Camera is a bit garbage, but it was a cheap, powerful phone. Feels better in hand than the 2015 Moto G, at least. That's our backup phone. Had to wait for a new battery.

Anyone complaining about the look of Android is ignorant. It's Android. If you're bored with something, change it. I never once understood the people bagging on the Pixel launcher. It's a launcher, get a new one if you don't like it. That's the whole point of the OS. That was an example. I'm not putting words into anyone's mouth.

Exactly, you can tweak the crap out of any nexus, make it what you want.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000

the fact that phone calls randomly mute is not something half baked. i suppose if i just reboot my phone before every single call that would be great.

the nexus phones have been cheaper because they had chepaer components. but the fact that the speakerphone will randomly mute or the aux port doesnt work, or battery life is bad is a software thing that they just never bothered to get right. somehow i'm guessing given its probalby the same people working on it the pixel is going to live to the same level of polish

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Have you considered the fact that your hardware is borked? It even happens to high-end phones.

Phone calls muting just sound more like you hold the phone up to your head weird. I bet the screen is turning on and your cheek is pressing the mute button. So, maybe not software.

Battery life being bad may be a rogue app. Sure, sometimes Play Services goes nuts. But it's not daily. The 5X also has a small battery. So no, it's not all software.

I mean, I know someone with a 5X and not once have they complained about it.

If you haven't exhausted your possible choices, especially in the realm of faulty hardware, dogging on the whole line seems disingenuous at best.

And kudos to you for choosing to blindly ignore the fact that not a single tech blog has disparaged the Pixel to the extent that non-owners on the Internet have.

Sean Kyle

Aug 22, 2016
I only believe that Pixel is only playing and there because of the brand name behind it!

Adam595

Jul 29, 2016
somehow a snapdragon 625 feels much much smoother than the 808 in the nexus 5x
So far the SD625 seems like a real winner, I've seen it being praised for it's performance on the huawei nova and especially on the moto z play. Also, it's very power efficient and seems to be overall a much better soc than the SD615/617. I really want a moto z play atm and I'm super jealous :)

Last edited:

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
If the Pixel works as well as my Nexus 6 I will be quite happy. I haven't had any issues of note to speak of with the N6. Certainly nothing like the OP is talking about so I think blanket statements about 5X problems being representative of the line in general should be taken with a degree of skepticism. I can understand the frustration of having a device that just doesn't work properly however.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I never understood why the Nexus/Google phones got so much praise by tech people, they were OK phones, but compared to the competition, nothing special. The only thing they won on sometimes was the price.

It's because they think "Updates!" is the only thing that matters on a phone. :rolleyes:

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I have owned many a smartphone, and in my experience it is the non Google phones that exhibit the annoying bugs and hardware failures. But that's the thing, that's just what my experience has been.

When my Note 5 had a nonworking GPS, I did not jump to the conclusion that all Note 5's have bad GPS.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I have had multiple Android phones, including a Nexus S, and I've found they were all buggy in one way or another. Some are show-stopping bugs (Galaxy S GPS issues), some are irritating little niggles.