Next Steps to Take to Fix 'Systemic Racism' - As Told by a CIS-Gender male with White Privilege

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Because those studies are crap. Black people are more likely to lie about drug use than white people. Studies testing people for drug use after wards show black people are more likely to have lied about their drug use when answering no to drug use than white people. Also, is it racist that more black people end up in the ER or hospitals for drug overdose relate to Marijuana, Crack, Meth, or Cocaine than white people at much higher rates across the country? I mean hospitals must be racist for that right? White people are more likely to OD on shit like perscribed pain killers, a LOT more likely, and the opiod epidemic in this country has killed far more white than black people. Guess the hospital system is racist there too right? I mean we have to have equal outcome in everything to end racism right?

Those studies look for data to support their idea instead of looking for answers based on data. Police arrest far more blacks for every other crime as well. Do you think murder rates are racist too? I mean black people are arrested for murdering people more often than white people. Just because the data doesn't show equal outcome it doesn't mean the answer must always be racism. Too many researchers start with that answer and look for the data to support that. This is why actual racism persists in this country today.

The only recent racist drug "laws" which were removed retroactively in 2013 were the ones on crack use. Crack is used far more by certain black communities than anywhere else. It also had harsher penalties than for no other reason than to target those communities. That could be construed as racism, however those communities also had far more criminal problems than crack usage. It could be construed as a bad tool to force a clean up of the communities kind of like broken window policing policies.

There isn't any institutional or systemic racism in this country any more. People are looking for ways to make it so. Heck, some people keep pestering Merriam Webster to change the definition of racism because the current definition they don't like since it destroys their arguments.

And don't move the goalposts like some other idiot in another thread did to me. I am not saying there hasn't been institutional or systemic racism in our past. Nor that those policies may still be having an affect, whether large or small, on some people still in this country.

If anything, more studies are showing that cops, lawyers, and judges are all going out of their way in this country to do the exact opposite in the last few decades to seem not racist. There has been a massive trend to lower criminal penalties and give massive amount of "second" chances to black people that get convicted of crimes regardless of the crime.

Stupid ass data assessments like comparing cops killing unarmed black vs white people based on per capita are rife in the main stream media as more bad examples of studies looking for data to support their answers first. But you eat that shit up all the time.

Holy shit you’re now directly linking to white supremacist websites.

As for the studies your white supremacist website links to I went and read the very first one. It not only found no statistically significant difference between self reported marijuana use and a positive test for marijuana use, it found that African-Americans were MORE likely to have claimed they used marijuana recently but still got a negative test, meaning it explicitly works to disprove your argument. It also links to other tests that show no reporting discrepancies based on race. All of this of course goes unmentioned in the article you linked, because, well duh, it’s a racist website.

Lol. Nice job owning yourself yet again.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
A racist means I think my race, white, is superior to some other race. Please quote where I've said anything of the sort. You made the accusation, so back it up.
Why a narrow specifically chosen definition. I wonder why. You do know that dramatically more to racism than "whites are superior to blacks?" Just start with the dictionary if that isn't too heavy a lift for you.

Even better, how does your prior statement refuting your racism of "I married a brown woman and traveled" (my summary) even contradict your own definition?

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I find it funny how only one of OP's responses contained more than five sentences, but the last "sentence" didn't have a period, so I guess it doesn't count.
OP in this thread "I won't respond to replies with less than five sentences. Those are troll posts and don't add productively to the conversation."
Also OP in this thread *only responds to posts with less than 5 sentences, writes mostly troll posts himself*

Reactions: snoopy7548

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008
Why a narrow specifically chosen definition. I wonder why. You do know that dramatically more to racism than "whites are superior to blacks?" Just start with the dictionary if that isn't too heavy a lift for you.

Even better, how does your prior statement refuting your racism of "I married a brown woman and traveled" (my summary) even contradict your own definition?

Racists tend to quote the technical definition because that's how they try to absolve themselves of any guilt. It's like saying, "I am not wearing my white hood today, so I'm not a racist."

Reactions: TheVrolok

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Holy shit you’re now directly linking to white supremacist websites.

As for the studies your white supremacist website links to I went and read the very first one. It not only found no statistically significant difference between self reported marijuana use and a positive test for marijuana use, it found that African-Americans were MORE likely to have claimed they used marijuana recently but still got a negative test, meaning it explicitly works to disprove your argument. It also links to other tests that show no reporting discrepancies based on race. All of this of course goes unmentioned in the article you linked, because, well duh, it’s a racist website.

Lol. Nice job owning yourself yet again.

Attack the messenger. Another one of your great logic fallacy usages again.

When it comes to crack/cocaine use, blacks more likely to admit to it than whites. When it comes to marijuana, blacks more likely to lie than whites about it. Again, the studies you cite are horrible self reporting surveys.

Looking at death rates by the drugs, blacks are far more likely to die by cocaine/crack than whites.

Whites are slightly more likely to die by heroine and opiods. More so for prescription opiods. Alcohol abuse also is more prevalent in whites than blacks.

Meth is far more likely to be used and kill black people as well.

As far as emergency visits

124,333 ED visit for black people and 257,127. When clumping all illicits, 356,291 for black people, and 586,237 for white people. Looking at per capita rates of 100,000 that is:

Cannibis black = 282
Cannibis white = 103

Illicit all black = 810
illicit all white = 235

Black people are in the emergency room for illicit substances, to include cannibis, at almost three times the rate of white people. These are hard numbers and not some shitty self reporting survey.

But oh noes! Some website you don't like reported those numbers so it must be white supremacy! Grow the fuck up. Look at studies that do hard testing. That article I linked is linking to its references. Like the artciles about veterans and drug usage where black veterans were far more likely to lie about drug usage. Which incidentally matches with other
such studies. That blacks are more likely to self report on cocaine usages correctly but lie about marijuana usage and it is the opposite for whites.

Wish the TANF tests posted their results by demographics but they don't unfortunately. That would be interesting data to see in this context.

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Attack the messenger. great.

When it comes to crack/cocaine use, blacks more likely to admit to it than whites. When it comes to marijuana, blacks more likely to lie than whites about it. Again, the studies you cite are horrible self reporting surveys.

Looking at death rates by the drugs, blacks are far more likely to die by cocaine/crack than whites.

Whites are slightly more likely to die by heroine and opiods. More so for prescription opiods. Alcohol abuse also is more prevalent in whites than blacks.

Meth is far more likely to be used and kill black people as well.

As far as emergency visits

124,333 ED visit for black people and 257,127. When clumping all illicits, 356,291 for black people, and 586,237 for white people. Looking at per capita rates of 100,000 that is:

Cannibis black = 282
Cannibis white = 103

Illicit all black = 810
illicit all white = 235

Black people are in the emergency room for illicit substances, to include cannibis, at almost three times the rate of white people. These are hard numbers and not some shitty self reporting survey.

But oh noes! Some website you don't like reported those numbers so it must be white supremacy! Grow the fuck up. Look at studies that do hard testing. Wish the TANF tests posted their results by demographics but they don't unfortunately.
I referred to the very first study your own white supremacist source cited and showed how the results ran contrary to your argument. It also showed how the author conveniently left out contrary information, presumably hoping that no one would actually read them.

As for your latest sad attempt at using statistics, black people are less likely to be insured and more likely to use the ER than white people. As their raw number of visits per capita is higher, their raw number of visits where it was detected they were using marijuana would be higher even if usage rates were equal. Durrrrrrrr. In addition, your own source said they don’t provide the per 100k figures you just made up because race and ethnicity information in ED sites is often missing and is therefore unreliable.

Why you continue to attempt to use statistics when you are so utterly incompetent is beyond me.

I have no interest in discussing this further with you as we all know how that will go. You owned yourself and outed yourself as someone who gets their information from white power websites.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
I referred to the very first study your own white supremacist source cited and showed how the results ran contrary to your argument. It also showed how the author conveniently left out contrary information, presumably hoping that no one would actually read them.

As for your latest sad attempt at using statistics, black people are less likely to be insured and more likely to use the ER than white people. As their raw number of visits per capita is higher, their raw number of visits where it was detected they were using marijuana would be higher even if usage rates were equal. Durrrrrrrr. In addition, your own source said they don’t provide the per 100k figures you just made up because race and ethnicity information in ED sites is often missing and is therefore unreliable.

Why you continue to attempt to use statistics when you are so utterly incompetent is beyond me.

I have no interest in discussing this further with you as we all know how that will go. You owned yourself and outed yourself as someone who gets their information from white power websites.

Hispanics use the ER far more than any other race. Hispanics use Primary Care doctors less as well. They don't have the same rates of reported drug use as blacks at all in those ER visits. Its a non relevant statistic to what is being actually tested there. But nice deflection.

And if you just look at overdose data, meaning there isn't a choice by the person. black people over represented here as well.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Apparently typing 5 sentences IS SO HARD! Christ, and you wonder why tensions still exist :rolleyes:

The intelligence level of this forum can easily be displayed based on my original post. Pathetic. Fucking. Pathetic. Keep proving my point.

Reading is hard, yo!

Sometimes followups, comments, or input can be done in less than 5 sentences. Being wordy is not a sign of intelligence.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Hey OP, will you watch Dave Chapelle's new special posted 2 days ago?

I suppose you'll just tell him "to shut up and make you laugh," right?

You refer to him a lot. I take that you think he is always "on your side." Which is hilarious, as I also get the distinct impression that you've never actually listened to a word of his.

As with everything Chapelle, it's the best 30 mins on the topic at hand ever. He's a helluva intelligent person who is not afraid to speak his mind and to say what he feels (and intelligently defend it). That special was a pretty moving.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Hispanics use the ER far more than any other race. Hispanics use Primary Care doctors less as well. They don't have the same rates of reported drug use as blacks at all in those ER visits. Its a non relevant statistic to what is being actually tested there. But nice deflection.

You attempted to generate statistics that your own source said it couldn’t do due to reliability concerns. You then attempted to use them to prove something else without controlling for obvious confounds. You are incompetent.

And if you just look at overdose data, meaning there isn't a choice by the person. black people over represented here as well.

Has nothing to do with marijuana. Irrelevant.

Anyways, from now on I will be sure to mention that you get your information from white power websites any time you comment on racial issues. Thanks for that!

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002

Because those studies are crap. Black people are more likely to lie about drug use than white people. Studies testing people for drug use after wards show black people are more likely to have lied about their drug use when answering no to drug use than white people. Also, is it racist that more black people end up in the ER or hospitals for drug overdose relate to Marijuana, Crack, Meth, or Cocaine than white people at much higher rates across the country? I mean hospitals must be racist for that right? White people are more likely to OD on shit like perscribed pain killers, a LOT more likely, and the opiod epidemic in this country has killed far more white than black people. Guess the hospital system is racist there too right? I mean we have to have equal outcome in everything to end racism right?

Those studies look for data to support their idea instead of looking for answers based on data. Police arrest far more blacks for every other crime as well. Do you think murder rates are racist too? I mean black people are arrested for murdering people more often than white people. Just because the data doesn't show equal outcome it doesn't mean the answer must always be racism. Too many researchers start with that answer and look for the data to support that. This is why actual racism persists in this country today.

The only recent racist drug "laws" which were removed retroactively in 2013 were the ones on crack use. Crack is used far more by certain black communities than anywhere else. It also had harsher penalties than for no other reason than to target those communities. That could be construed as racism, however those communities also had far more criminal problems than crack usage. It could be construed as a bad tool to force a clean up of the communities kind of like broken window policing policies.

There isn't any institutional or systemic racism in this country any more. People are looking for ways to make it so. Heck, some people keep pestering Merriam Webster to change the definition of racism because the current definition they don't like since it destroys their arguments.

And don't move the goalposts like some other idiot in another thread did to me. I am not saying there hasn't been institutional or systemic racism in our past. Nor that those policies may still be having an affect, whether large or small, on some people still in this country.

If anything, more studies are showing that cops, lawyers, and judges are all going out of their way in this country to do the exact opposite in the last few decades to seem not racist. There has been a massive trend to lower criminal penalties and give massive amount of "second" chances to black people that get convicted of crimes regardless of the crime.

Stupid ass data assessments like comparing cops killing unarmed black vs white people based on per capita are rife in the main stream media as more bad examples of studies looking for data to support their answers first. But you eat that shit up all the time.
Using amren.com as a source?
American Renaissance (AR or AmRen) is a monthly white supremacist online publication founded and edited by Jared Taylor.[1][2][3][4] It is published by the New Century Foundation, which describes itself as a "race-realist, white advocacy organization".[5][6]

Not that it means anything but I'm on my third passport.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

rac·ism
/ˈrāˌsizəm/
noun
prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.
The belief that different races possess distinct characteristics, abilities, or qualities, especially so as to distinguish them as inferior or superior to one another.

So. Please quote where I've said anything of the sort. You made the accusation, so back it up.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
rac·ism
/ˈrāˌsizəm/
noun
prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.
The belief that different races possess distinct characteristics, abilities, or qualities, especially so as to distinguish them as inferior or superior to one another.

So. Please quote where I've said anything of the sort. You made the accusation, so back it up.

You literally just proved my point. You chose the second definition and ignored the first. You even listed them right there.

You suggested earlier in this thread that black on black crime is higher.. because they're black. That's racist. I don't know how it could be any clearer.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
You literally just proved my point. You chose the second definition and ignored the first. You even listed them right there.

Please provide a quote of mine that supports your accusation that I believe "that different races possess distinct characteristics, abilities, or qualities, especially so as to distinguish them as inferior or superior to one another.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Please provide a quote of mine that supports your accusation that I believe "that different races possess distinct characteristics, abilities, or qualities, especially so as to distinguish them as inferior or superior to one another.
I did, above. Again, why are you cherry picking a definition and ignoring the other one you literally just posted? (we know exactly why, a poster above articulated it)

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I did, above. Again, why are you cherry picking a definition and ignoring the other one you literally just posted? (we know exactly why, a poster above articulated it)

I just quoted the the one you said I ignored, the first definition (because YOU said "You chose the second definition and ignored the first.), and asked you to support your claim. Which you havent, and wont. Because you cant.

Its all good think what you want of me, unsubstantiated. Rage on man.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I just quoted the the one you said I ignored, the first definition (because YOU said "You chose the second definition and ignored the first.), and asked you to support your claim. Which you havent, and wont. Because you cant.

Its all good think what you want of me, unsubstantiated. Rage on man.

Again, I literally just posted it above. You suggested black on black homicide rates are higher.. because they're black. That's prejudice.

This is so simple I don't know why it's confusing you. I'm also not raging in the slightest, is that perhaps more projection? Maybe you want to pull the "I have a black friend" card again?

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Again, I literally just posted it above. You suggested black on black homicide rates are higher.. because they're black. That's prejudice.

This is so simple I don't know why it's confusing you. I'm also not raging in the slightest, is that perhaps more projection? Maybe you want to pull the "I have a black friend" card again?

What the actual fuck. So statistics are racist now? lmao

Stating a statistical fact isnt racist. It in no way refers to blacks as inferior to anyone. Also, I didnt say its because theyre black.

In case you forgot, heres my post:

I dunno do you have any thoughts about why the offending rate among black on black homicide is eight times higher than white on white?

Its a statistic.

LOL

Oh. And speaking of projecting. I didnt say I have a black friend. YOU did.

edit: Look. Either provide supporting evidence Im a racist or STFU.

Last edited:

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
What the actual fuck. So statistics are racist now? lmao

Stating a statistical fact isnt racist. It in no way refers to blacks as inferior to anyone. Also, I didnt say its because theyre black.

In case you forgot, heres my post:

Its a statistic.

LOL

Oh. And speaking of projecting. I didnt say I have a black friend. YOU did.

edit: Look. Either provide supporting evidence Im a racist or STFU.

Sigh.

I'm not talking about the statistic, I'm talking about what you're using it to suggest. If you're argument is now "you can only be racist if you say you are superior to other races!" welp, ok.

I didn't say you a had a black friend, I put it in quotation marks for a reason and was referring to your "I married a brown woman" earlier, we already talked about this.

Explaining obvious things to you is exhausting.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Sigh.

I'm not talking about the statistic, I'm talking about what you're using it to suggest. If you're argument is now "you can only be racist if you say you are superior to other races!" welp, ok.

I didn't say you a had a black friend, I put it in quotation marks for a reason and was referring to your "I married a brown woman" earlier, we already talked about this.

Explaining obvious things to you is exhausting.

Not as exhausting as asking you to provide evidence Im a racist. All you give is a word salad.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
It's my fault for engaging, I know.

No its your fault for not doing what should be a simple thing. Post something I said that is racist. And all you posted was 1. a statistic, and 2. a misquote from YOU.

This is public forum. If youre going to accuse someone of something like being a racist, but cant provide evidence, youre the tool.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
No its your fault for not doing what should be a simple thing. Post something I said that is racist. And all you posted was 1. a statistic, and 2. a misquote from YOU.

This is public forum. If youre going to accuse someone of something like being a racist, but cant provide evidence, youre the tool.
Eski asked you why blacks are arrested more frequently than whites for MJ, his suggestion is that it's racial bias (and the data demonstrates this).

Rather than answer his question you respond with your own question asking why black on black homicide is higher. There are only two reasons for you to respond this one, one is that you simply don't understand the rhetorical process which may very well be the case, the other, and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, is that you see it as some sort of refutation of his point. The only way it would refute his point is if your example is not related to systemic bias (which of course it is), but then you're implying its due to what, exactly? Well, you don't say anything other than what you said, that they're black. We're left to assume your counter point is that black on black homicide is higher.. because they're black.

Now, if you want to up your rhetorical game, feel free. But don't say dumb shit and whine about being called on it.

As far as a misquote, I did no such thing. You argued that you couldn't be racist because you married a "brown" person, I chided you that that is the same thing as saying, "I have a black friend." That is what I was referencing, which is plainly obvious.

Now, let's see some more ranting from you.

"you're the tool"

lol, come on man. I'm an optimist, you can do better.