Next step in pirating: Faking a company (NEC)

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
Hmm well there president (chinas) was just here last week and had dinner with Bill Gates.
Guess there are still a few minor bugs to be worked out.:frown:

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
From the article:

Like hundreds, if not thousands, of manufacturers now locked in a war of attrition with intellectual property thieves in China

the counterfeiters had set up what amounted to a parallel NEC brand with links to a network of more than 50 electronics factories in China, Hong Kong and Taiwan

In the name of NEC, the pirates copied NEC products, and went as far as developing their own range of consumer electronic products - everything from home entertainment centers to MP3 players
Some of the factories that were raided had erected bogus NEC signs and shipped their products packaged in authentic looking boxes and display cases.

NEC said about 50 products were counterfeited, including home entertainment systems, MP3 players, batteries, microphones and DVD players.

Tell me again why we have a free trade agreement with this country?

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Jeez they were even coming up with new products. weird/massive

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: techs
From the article:

Like hundreds, if not thousands, of manufacturers now locked in a war of attrition with intellectual property thieves in China

the counterfeiters had set up what amounted to a parallel NEC brand with links to a network of more than 50 electronics factories in China, Hong Kong and Taiwan

In the name of NEC, the pirates copied NEC products, and went as far as developing their own range of consumer electronic products - everything from home entertainment centers to MP3 players
Some of the factories that were raided had erected bogus NEC signs and shipped their products packaged in authentic looking boxes and display cases.

NEC said about 50 products were counterfeited, including home entertainment systems, MP3 players, batteries, microphones and DVD players.

Tell me again why we have a free trade agreement with this country?

I think this is going to catch up with China eventually. As long as all they are doing is making the cheap junk I buy at Walmart, that's one thing. But when they REALLY start trying to compete in high-tech and other staple industries in the 1st world, they will find themselves in deep trouble. They will block themselves from entering markets where IP is respected, like the US and Europe and a growing part of the rest of Asia, and what's worse, companies with actual ideas and products will refuse to do business with them.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this whole "new China" nonsense is a big bunch of bull. Their current economic rise is due to a number of things that are simply not sustainable in the long run. India has problems as well, but I suspect they will be the major Asian economic power in this century, not China. China will of course have power simply from having a huge population, but a lot of factors work against them.