Next Grand Prix?

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c394/jimohio123/a42baaf3.jpg

The new Commodore has been engineered from the get-go to be left-hand drive and comply with all world safety standards. Even the fuel tank is ahead of the rear axle -- changing that for the GTO was one of the reasons GM couldn't spend more money giving the Monaro coupe more Pontiac style. The new Commodore is a clean-sheet car, so it looks fresh, contemporary, and muscular. GM's head of NA car design, Mike Simcoe, knows the vehicle intimately: An Aussie, he oversaw all the initial work on the new Commodoe in GM's Melcbourne, Australia, design studio before being promoted to Detroit. A relatively simple front fascia change incorporating the Pontiac split grille, plus the usual Pontiac branding details and official U.S. safety certification and emissions calibration are about all this car needs to be ready to roll on U.S. roads. Holden sources estimate the work could be completed for a mere $15 million. Building the new Grand Prix in Australia also would help Holden maximize production efficiency of its assembly plant in Elizabeth, South Australia. Until recently, this plant was running three shifts a day to meet demand, but high gas prices (Australians are paying about $4.30 a gallon) have hit Commodore sales hard in the past 18 months--sales of the runout model were the lowest in 12 years. Export marker sales also have been hit. Getting a Pontiac Grand Pric into production would probably take the best part of 12 months, by which time initiial demand for the new Commodore will have eased. A Grand Prix version could take up the slack left by decreased local demand.

i think it looks great with that badge on it :D

and well, the interior is drop dead gorgeus.

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
Hot, but looks like a prototype. Wait till we see the production model.

It kind of looks like a lowered Mazda 6 with AutoExe body kit and RX-8 wheels.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
ford and gm should just drop all the crap they currently sell domestically and sell the australian line up. and mercury should drop the crap they sell domestically and use ford's european line up.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: sniperruff
Originally posted by: ElFenix
mercury should drop the crap they sell domestically and use ford's european line up.

that is actually a very good idea.

i know. it's copyrighted, btw. i should patent it too.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
I'd love to have a Grand Prix as my next car.... But there's no way I can afford it. I'll probably get something used just to go to work and back.

Soccerman06

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
Originally posted by: FrankyJunior
I'd love to have a Grand Prix as my next car.... But there's no way I can afford it. I'll probably get something used just to go to work and back.

kinda sad that you aspire to have a Grand Prix.