Next gen iPhone pre orders sold out first day...

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/15/apple-iphone-4-pre-orders-now-sold-out/

We have no idea how this happened given the insane problems Apple and AT&T have had processing iPhone 4 pre-orders today, but lots of people (including us) are seeing a July 2 ship date at Apple's online store, or about a week after the next-gen iPhone launches on June 24. Frankly, that's amazing -- we can only imagine the kind of sustained rush it took to cause a sellout of a product virtually no one was actually able to order. So that's Apple and AT&T both sold out -- at this point it's looking like standing in line somewhere come launch day is going to be your best bet, but we'll let you know if we hear any better news.

Holy shit....

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
I tried to preorder at 2am PST. I couldn't get the ATT or the Apple page to load.

I tried again at 11am PST. ATT was dead. The Apple store was sort of working. Took me about an hour to get through, but ATT had my account screwed up (had me marked as a business account which is not eligible for the iPhone upgrade), so I couldn't get one.

:(

Maybe I'll take off that morning and try to stand in line.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I don't have the $$$ to afford one so I'm trying my best to pretend that this phone sucks and I don't want it. I think even in B&M stores this phone is going to be very hard to get for at least a month after it drops. I'm glad I don't want this phone... yeah :D

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
I finally got in after four hours of trying. 12am -2am first night didnt work. But about 1230 next day I got an order in.

TheWart

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2000
Yea I finally reserved one and plan on picking it up before heading to work next Thursday.

I just hope launch day goes smoother for AT&T hehe

Phobic9

Golden Member
Apr 6, 2001
I had a preorder but I canceled it later in the day. After carrying my iPad 3G around, I don't think I can use AT&T full time anymore for my phone service. That's a shame since my bill would be $30 cheaper a month than Verizon. :(

Sounds like we're going to have a repeat of the first iPhone launch come activation day.

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Wonder how many are upgrading their 3gs. Bunch of my friends are trying to dump their 3gs now.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Well... I was thinking of preordering even though I know I'd miss all my jailbreak stuff like crazy. I have a 3G that's starting to show its age as far as battery life is concerned. It's still ticking though so I'm not totally screwed yet. Not even sure there's an AT&T store around here anyway.

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000
I dumped my 3GS.. though I will probably get something from the Android family. The new Droid sure looks nice.

TheWart

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2000

SLCentral

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2003
I have mine preordered, and when it comes I'm going to eBay the shit out of it. Only question is if I wait for it to get unlocked/jailbroken or not...

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I have mine preordered, and when it comes I'm going to eBay the shit out of it. Only question is if I wait for it to get unlocked/jailbroken or not...

My guess is that it will be worth a lot more initially because of the apparently low supply compared to demand. By the time it gets jailbroken, supply would have caught up and it won't fetch as much. Plus, who knows if it'll get unlocked in a timely manner either. AFAIK the latest baseband on the current iphones STILL hasn't been unlocked, and hasn't been for a while.

Long story short: sell ASAP

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004
I musta gotten insanely lucky. I logged onto AT&T around 7:45am EST yesterday, order went through, confirmation email by 7:50am, order status changed to processing this morning. I feel bad for the people that waited 12+ hours to order it, just to be told they're not gonna get it til 7/2.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I'm pondering getting one, but I have a 3GS, which means I would have to pay $100 more.

But I still want to know how much faster the new phone is. How much better is the battery life? Does the antenna positioning still suck terribly like it does on the 3GS?

Antenna positioning affects me sometimes when I hold the phone since I have larger hands and I'll tend to "grasp" the phone. The antenna is on the back near the top, and sometimes my hands will begin to cover it and I'll easily notice a degradation in service and call quality goes down considerably (people will actually tell me they can't understand me). Move my hand and all is good.

But all we know is the phone uses the A4, but no one knows how fast the A4 will even be running. Chances are it won't run at the same speeds as it does in the iPad and if I recall, the graphics chip is the same.

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004
I'm pondering getting one, but I have a 3GS, which means I would have to pay $100 more.

But I still want to know how much faster the new phone is. How much better is the battery life? Does the antenna positioning still suck terribly like it does on the 3GS?

Antenna positioning affects me sometimes when I hold the phone since I have larger hands and I'll tend to "grasp" the phone. The antenna is on the back near the top, and sometimes my hands will begin to cover it and I'll easily notice a degradation in service and call quality goes down considerably (people will actually tell me they can't understand me). Move my hand and all is good.

But all we know is the phone uses the A4, but no one knows how fast the A4 will even be running. Chances are it won't run at the same speeds as it does in the iPad and if I recall, the graphics chip is the same.

The antenna wraps around the edges of the new phone. It should be leagues better reception-wise than its predecessors. I believe the A4 is also clocked at 1GHz, but don't hold me to that.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
The antenna wraps around the edges of the new phone. It should be leagues better reception-wise than its predecessors. I believe the A4 is also clocked at 1GHz, but don't hold me to that.

Given how hot iDevices tend to run, I'd assume the 1GHz number of the iPad was designed around it's large surface area and larger internal area (it has a lot of dead space inside because of the surface area of the screen). Based on that, I'm guesstimating that the A4 will see a clockspeed reduction in the iPhone 4.

Because of that, I'd really like to see a performance analysis... hopefully Anandtech will have something up before the phone actually releases next week. I'll probably be able to find one around here somewhere :p.

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004
Given how hot iDevices tend to run, I'd assume the 1GHz number of the iPad was designed around it's large surface area and larger internal area (it has a lot of dead space inside because of the surface area of the screen). Based on that, I'm guesstimating that the A4 will see a clockspeed reduction in the iPhone 4.

Because of that, I'd really like to see a performance analysis... hopefully Anandtech will have something up before the phone actually releases next week. I'll probably be able to find one around here somewhere :p.

I'd personally like to see it modulated... draw more power as needed, but I doubt we'll see that in a phone.

SLCentral

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2003
My guess is that it will be worth a lot more initially because of the apparently low supply compared to demand. By the time it gets jailbroken, supply would have caught up and it won't fetch as much. Plus, who knows if it'll get unlocked in a timely manner either. AFAIK the latest baseband on the current iphones STILL hasn't been unlocked, and hasn't been for a while.

Long story short: sell ASAP

Just listed it on eBay for $749 starting with $900 BIN. We'll see what happens - seems like about what they're going for now.

TheWart

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2000
So the only way to get the new iPhone is to stand in line on the 24th and wait?

Yea, that is the way it looks. The good news is that it appears Walmart, Bestbuy, AT&T, Apple Stores, and maybe even Radioshack will all have at least *some* phones, so you might get lucky going to a less busy store....

Sentrosi2121

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2004
Pre orders are slated to be shipped on July 14th. Can I pre-order the phone and try to get another one by standing in line on the 24th? And if I get the phone on the 24th cancel my order?

Man, that seems like a shyteload of work for a phone.

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
Pre orders are slated to be shipped on July 14th. Can I pre-order the phone and try to get another one by standing in line on the 24th? And if I get the phone on the 24th cancel my order?

Man, that seems like a shyteload of work for a phone.

This is what I was planning on doing. Not sure if it'll work though.

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004
This is what I was planning on doing. Not sure if it'll work though.

How are you guys going to do that? Assuming you preordered a subsidized one, you'll pay full price for the one at the store AND sign a new-new 2 year contract.