Next gen console's effect on PC gaming graphics

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
what??? who's crying here? I believe this is a forum for expressing your views. Do not deviate unncecessarily. I've also put in Fifa for guys like you who have to find fault in everything and anything.

What do you want? The names of all the games that have been ported poorly? Or the list of games that could've looked better if not for consoles. Everyone knows that Oblivion and Skyrim have UI's personalised for consoles. And everyone knows Crysis 2 looked much worse than the original. You know why? Consoles!!!!!

I'm just ferrying a point across. You dont have to be a smart mouth and shout "Oh, he mentioned LA noire & GTA IV. He must not know that they were developed by the same company".

Jesus... You got defensive in a hurry. Did a 360 touch your no-no zone? Perhaps a ps3 raped your mother and that's why you're this way. I'm sure you can find a support group for whatever happened to you, little buddy.

Behave yourself; this is a technical forum and that kind of banter is anything but appropriate
-ViRGE

Last edited by a moderator:

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
Did a 360 touch your no-no zone? Perhaps a ps3 raped your mother and that's why you're this way. I'm sure you can find a support group for whatever happened to you, little buddy.

Hahaha what a comeback my friend. And u also spoke of my mother. Now i'm scarred for life. Thanks.
Sarcasm : Off

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
I want better graphics from titles that are trying to be graphically intensive. I think everyone does, especially when they overshoot and it starts looking worse by trying to have too much minor detail for a given level of world detail, or framerates get horrible, or blur AA must be used, etc., etc.. If not trying to be too graphically intensive, just make it look good for its minimum requirements, with no glaring issues, and don't try to sell it as a graphically intense title.

+1
That was brilliantly put.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
it is, but that only applies in 2d. there isn't any directly comparable equivalent in 3d presently. at least not any that directly avoids quantization

implicit surfaces can adapt to camera position to avoid faceted/linear silhouettes, but resolution scaling isnt an accurate analogy.

texturing is a separate function from model format(polygon, nurbs, bspline patch, metaball, or point cloud). Any model not using octrees will still require a 2d mapping to store arbitrary colors not localized to a vertex. Even ptex still stores color on a uv matrix just with thousands of unjoined edges. as long as it is a 2d format, high res textures will be high res. Octrees can circumvent this limitation but come with their own complications when it comes to workflow.

You don't seem to know enough about 3dCG to be making these arguments.

Subdivision surfaces with adaptive tessellation can achieve the non-faceted/camera-scalable surface representation you are hoping for at reasonable performance costs on current hardware. No one has an engine designed for it yet, but it can be done. Regardless, the underlying base mesh will still be vertex/polygon based.

The main problem delaying implementation is the pipeline operator stack and other game interaction properties(collision/sound event/etc) haven't been worked out beyond some limited technology demonstrations.

Until 95% of all gaming hardware(consoles, pc with discrete graphics, mobile devices) are powerful enough to handle a game using 100% subdivision-surface-with-displacement-mapped ingame assets, no developer will make a complete game that scales to all resolution displays.

The adoption of dx11 will be the metric that signals when the shift to subdiv will occur. But since the next nintendo system is only licensing a 4770 design and the next xbox gpu is unclear, it may not happen until the gen after.

Dang man settle down lol. I never said it was anywhere near ready. I said this would likely be the first step before we move beyond the resolutions available today. Higher resolution devices are easily made at this point, but utilizing them isn't quite ready (IMO).