next big mmo?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

xantub

Feb 12, 2014
I don't know how serious, or how tongue in cheek this post was, but sadly, I think it's probably true.

The next "big" mmo, one that has a crazy amount of subscribers, will probably be a vr mmo.

2019 is probably an ambitious start date for something like that. I'm thinking 2025 :D
Nothing tongue in cheek, I was totally serious. My estimate went something like... 2016 the year enthusiasts get VR and show their friends. 2017 the year many get VR, great VR (not MMO) games start popping out and media start seriously covering it, not just as a curiosity. By 2018 VR devices are commonplace. MMO VR is announced and hype is hysterical. Hmm... ok, perhaps beta would be in 2019 and release on 2020.

Last edited:

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
Everyone finally got the message that it's throwing money down a pit.

My 8yr old asked me if she could be a paid member on Animal Jam, a browser based kids mmo. I nearly spit my drink out. Like hell if I'm going to support her by paying 7 bucks a month lol for a silly mmo. It's crazy how they are going after kids these days.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
Uhh... Final Fantasy XIV seems to have not been mentioned in this thread. It's been out for a while but is still pay-to-play

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
There will never be another WOW simply because the market has changed. In 2004 what was state of the art? Crash Bandicoot? There were a ton of other elements to WOW which made it successful besides the mmo part and those have already been adopted by other games.

I think you can see WOW's influence in how games like Battlefield now have progressive unlocks you can "earn" the longer you play the game.

xantub

Feb 12, 2014
That's not what I have in mind about a VR MMO. That's more like a MMO that supports VR. I'm talking about a real VR MMO, one where your character is not just a 'toon'. You define an avatar, and you see everybody's avatar in VR in first person, walking and running with them, where you see your companion casting spells to your right, and you're shielding your healer behind you looking at a creature 3 feet in front of you. In other words an MMO designed exclusively for VR instead of just supporting it... much more immersive.

Like I said, this won't happen for at least 5 years (probably more like 7). First VR has to become commonplace, then the game has to be developed which takes years. But that's how I see MMOs coming back, with something revolutionary. The age of WoW clones is over.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
It bombed out and they canned the project. They salvaged what they could from the work they'd done and made that Overwatch FPS with the remnants.

Damn! That's really sad. I was looking forward to Titan, i knew the news around it had died down but i thought they'd be working on it under wraps or something like The Last Guardian or something and that one day they'd just unveil it randomly. Sad.

Mandres

Jun 8, 2011
The Koreans and the Chinese are pushing the genre forward now. Unfortunately they rely on a business model that most Western players find distasteful and it usually takes years upon years to bring the games out over here.

Archeage is going strong and I consider it the most advanced MMO currently available over here, but it's already what 4-5 years old in Korea? Blade & Soul looks really fun but it's also already 4-5 years old. Black Desert is actually being released here in a timely manner and is going to be a huge hit if they can avoid the P2Win stigma that hurt Archeage so badly.

In terms of western developers the only thing on the horizon is Camelot Unchained. It's looking good, but still a long way out.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Archeage is an inferior RIFT. And RIFT came out first and its American.
And both are now available from the same service.
:hmm: