NewYorkTimes Attacks Lolo Jones!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
My bad, I mixed up two articles I was reading. So, I apologize for saying hes a Christian. However, you are wrong that he is Anti-Christian. Just because he slammed Lolo doesnt mean he is against Christians...actually, he did a really wonderful article on a devout Christian athlete A Runner’s Belief: God Is His Coach

Thats SEVEN whole pages + time spent with the subject who seems to talk about God all day.

Yep, he seems like a bigot to me. I think he is more annoyed that people are focusing on Lolo's looks rather than he athletic prowess..actually, two women from the USA Track and Field team went on NBC the other day and said that it wasnt fair that Lolo is being focused on so much...especially after they both brought home Gold medals for the US and she didnt bring home anything...seems like favoritism..but they werent as good looking as her either, so :)

What? You mean Incorruptible is full of shit as usual? THAT CAN'T BE!

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Incredibly stupid article obviously written by a moron. She didn't get added to the Olympic team for her looks, she EARNED her way onto it. She's also the American record holder in the race and has won a ton of tournaments. Hardly someone with no accomplishments.

Just your typical NYT scum writer, writing stupid articles.

What an idiot, any reputable organization would have fired him.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
The writer is saying she has gotten far, far, far more publicity than other female athletes because of her looks, her sexy advertisements etc and that is not fair to the other athletes.

So what?

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005

Exactly, it's like some whiners out there (including her teammates who whined about it after the race) are jealous of her getting the attention because she's more attractive then they are. Someone call the whaaaaaambulance!

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
I don't think the author has a problem with Christians. In context, he seems to be suggesting that it's hypocrisy to present yourself as a virginal Christian but pose nude and play up your sexuality for fame and fortune. That is certainly at least a plausible argument.

I'm not all that thrilled about the article though. If she's taking advantage of her looks and sexuality to some extent, she is just taking the opportunities that are given to her. If people didn't care so much about her looks, she would not be able to do that. If pervs made Anna Kournakova famous, that is the fault of the pervs, not her. Maybe if Jones wasn't trying hard I could see the criticism, but the author has no evidence that this is the case.

The merits of the article aside, Olympic atheletes are not, nor should they be, immune for criticism any more than anyone else who voluntarily makes herself a public figure.

- wolf

Last edited:

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
I don't think the author has a problem with Christians. In context, he seems to be suggesting that it's hypocrisy to present yourself as a virginal Christian but pose nude and play up your sexuality for fame and fortune. That is certainly at least a plausible argument.

That is way too much thinking for members of the right on this forum. Look at those words that they'd have to understand.
This is typical from the christian right that likes to pretend they are being persecuted.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
This Longman writes a very long winded version of "get back in the kitchen", the guy needs to lighten up. Let a girl run some hurdles, she's fast enough to make it back in time for a quick bj and sandwich before you leave for work.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Exactly, it's like some whiners out there (including her teammates who whined about it after the race) are jealous of her getting the attention because she's more attractive then they are. Someone call the whaaaaaambulance!

That drove me nuts. They are jealous of someone who's attractive and successful. Why can't they just be happy with their own success without trying to tear others down?

nanette1985

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2005
After watching as much Olympics coverage from NBC as I can stand, I can't believe any of you think the media has any actual interest in Olympic competition - it's so much attention-mongering.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
That drove me nuts. They are jealous of someone who's attractive and successful. Why can't they just be happy with their own success without trying to tear others down?

Her teammates weren't jealous of her because shes pretty. They were upset because the Media played favorites and ignored the accomplishments of the other teammates. They bought home two Gold medals for the US and Lolo placed 4th in her event...meaning she won nothing.

In a way, maybe some of this hype about her is about her beauty...for an Olympic year that the media has hailed as one of the greatest for the US..I find it interesting to ignore Gold Medals on the US Track and Field team to talk about Lolo.

I don't think she deserves to get slammed in the NYT but her team deserves recognition too. Its not a beauty contest, its sports.

Apr 27, 2012
Incredibly stupid article obviously written by a moron. She didn't get added to the Olympic team for her looks, she EARNED her way onto it. She's also the American record holder in the race and has won a ton of tournaments. Hardly someone with no accomplishments.

Just your typical NYT scum writer, writing stupid articles.

What an idiot, any reputable organization would have fired him.

Well said. The NYT is a horrible newspaper

stlc8tr

Golden Member
Jan 5, 2011

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
I am , it still doesn't justify the insults, it shows you have nothing else to talk about

Honesty is telling the truth, even when confronted with the fact that it may not be pleasant.

I would say of all of the posters that post regularly here in P&N you rank as probably the 3rd or 4th most dis-honest.
You have also proved time, and time again that your 4th grade level reading comprehension, critical thinking and spelling skills are ill suited for trying to discuss political topics in a rational, adult manner.
Until one of the following 4 things happen I will continue to insult you, and the things you post.

1. You leave of your own accord.
2. You get banned for trolling.
3. The moderators feel I step over the line in calling you out on your crap and give me a vacation.
4. The very rare chance you post something and attempt to discuss it in a normal, non persecuted Christian, non Islamophobic manner.

Apr 27, 2012
Honesty is telling the truth, even when confronted with the fact that it may not be pleasant.

I would say of all of the posters that post regularly here in P&N you rank as probably the 3rd or 4th most dis-honest.
You have also proved time, and time again that your 4th grade level reading comprehension, critical thinking and spelling skills are ill suited for trying to discuss political topics in a rational, adult manner.
Until one of the following 4 things happen I will continue to insult you, and the things you post.

1. You leave of your own accord.
2. You get banned for trolling.
3. The moderators feel I step over the line in calling you out on your crap and give me a vacation.
4. The very rare chance you post something and attempt to discuss it in a normal, non persecuted Christian, non Islamophobic manner.

But I am being honest though, Christians were getting attacked and you felt it was alright.

When did I say I was Christian, according to you leftists I was a Jew

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I would have thought she would have been savvy enough to avoid news stories days leading up to her Olympic performance. Although I disagree it was the reporters opinion. Athelites get stuff written about them all the time. If you are going to be in the spotlight you gotta suck it up and be smart.

BTW - she is very cute and an accomplished athelite.

Apr 27, 2012
I would have thought she would have been savvy enough to avoid news stories days leading up to her Olympic performance. Although I disagree it was the reporters opinion. Athelites get stuff written about them all the time. If you are going to be in the spotlight you gotta suck it up and be smart.

BTW - she is very cute and an accomplished athelite.

The reporter has the right to write this, I dont disagree with that. It seems to me he is jealous of her and that's why he wrote the article along with the fact that she is Christian.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The reporter has the right to write this, I dont disagree with that. It seems to me he is jealous of her and that's why he wrote the article along with the fact that she is Christian.

Oh please not the war on religion again! A lot of athelites are Christian. Its more the virgin thing that has people fascinated.

And its not just the virgin thing its virgin along with being hot. If she were butt ugly noone would care.

Apr 27, 2012
Oh please not the war on religion again! A lot of athelites are Christian. Its more the virgin thing that has people fascinated.

And its not just the virgin thing its virgin along with being hot. If she were butt ugly noone would care.

There is a war against Christianity. Yes its true that her being a virgin makes her a bigger target

Agree on your second point, if she was ugly there would hardly be any attention for her

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Apr 27, 2012
As for the war on Christianity when was the last time a town in the US got together and tried to ban a christian church from being built?

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2012/aug/11/mosque-opens-in-divided-tennessee-town/

The people have the right to build that mosque but why is it they only want to obey the Constitution when it suits them.

There are people who oppose the mosque because there genuine racists then there are others who are worried about sharia law and the treatment of women since they sit at the back and leave through the back

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
There is a war against Christianity. Yes its true that her being a virgin makes her a bigger target

Agree on your second point, if she was ugly there would hardly be any attention for her

This isnt a war on her faith, its a war on her image. Lolo likes to be open about her life, a few months back she did an interview where she talked about being a virgin (which nobody needs to know) and how desperate she is to find a man. I don't know but it seem like she was just trying to find a nice guy to pop her cherry so she wouldnt be burdened with being a virgin anymore.

In addition to that, she talks about her faith in God a lot and then goes on to do nude pictures in magazines. Its not her belief that has the guy annoyed, its the fact that she seems to be something of an attention whore. I don't know Lolo, but I think she means well...however, you know for a fact that people get turned on by a good looking woman talking about how desperate she is to find a man and also a woman who is willing to do nude photos for magazines.

Sex sells...and she is getting more attention for being sexy than for being an athlete. Point blank. Thats the issue. Her teammates have said it, some douche at the NYT called her out on it..etc.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
The original article writer at the NYT is being a douchebag. Is she supposed to wear a Burka and walk 10 paces behind a man because she chooses to remain a virgin until she finds the "right guy"?? Seriously the guy is just an asshole looking to make a name for himself at her expense due to her chosen lifestyle and open religious beliefs sadly.

Last edited: