newt's 3 fold plan to drop gas prices

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

quest55720

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: BlinderBomber
I'm hoping that the idea of using super-capacitors to power cars will get some more federal funding and, eventually, could replace most of our automobile traffic. Centralizing our power production to nuclear, solar, and wind power plants could help make this country much 'greener' over the next fifteen years.

That is so far off it is not even funny. Batteries in any form will have to be 50x better than they are now at a minimum for the northern states. I don't think we will ever get an electic only that is viable in northern states in my life time. Once you kick in a heater and defroster at night the battery will just be sucked dry.

Newt is 100% correct but since so many hate him who are in power it will never come true. No way the dems ever implement anything newt suggests even if he is on the money. It is really sad that both sides are to busy playing politics to come up with a real solution.

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
Originally posted by: quest55720
Originally posted by: BlinderBomber
I'm hoping that the idea of using super-capacitors to power cars will get some more federal funding and, eventually, could replace most of our automobile traffic. Centralizing our power production to nuclear, solar, and wind power plants could help make this country much 'greener' over the next fifteen years.

That is so far off it is not even funny. Batteries in any form will have to be 50x better than they are now at a minimum for the northern states. I don't think we will ever get an electic only that is viable in northern states in my life time. Once you kick in a heater and defroster at night the battery will just be sucked dry.

Newt is 100% correct but since so many hate him who are in power it will never come true. No way the dems ever implement anything newt suggests even if he is on the money. It is really sad that both sides are to busy playing politics to come up with a real solution.

This is something to important to allow buisness as usual. email and phone calls to congress until they get the message, that each side needs to give a little for the common good.

Bury them in emails.
find your reps

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
So basically we deplete our reserves while never truly kicking our drug...I mean oil habit and pretend we are gonna someday kick our drug....I mean oil habit by "investing in alternate fuels" but never fully committing to any substantial change and hope that the oil lobby doesn't put up a political front to block this "alternative fuel investment".

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Don't think we should do #1, but if we were to do 2 and 3 tomorrow, the price would have collapsed on the world market within a week.

BigJelly

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2002
Originally posted by: lupi
Don't think we should do #1, but if we were to do 2 and 3 tomorrow, the price would have collapsed on the world market within a week.

I would only do #1 if we did all three; otherwise it would be worthless.

#1 would punish the speculators quickly and harshly. This would also prevent future speculation to get as bad as it is now. Secondly the oil could be bought back within 2 months--AT A DISCOUNT. In reality, doing #1 is just to get revenge on the speculators for screwing over the American public, because #2 would also hurt the speculators--but not as swiftly and completly as #1.

#2 would be the complete knockout punch to the speculators--given that the speculators are speculating that America will not tap the reserves that could make ourselves almost completely energy independent. Furthermore, America would stop buying $1.5 billion dollars on oil EVERY day from other countries.

#3 is the near future and distant future but it isn't today. There is already a huge incentive to come up with alternative fuels but the technology isn't here today so you don't gut the economy today because we don't have the technology yet. So you continue to research them because of the financial benifits one would gain from the replacement of oil. Furthermore, when alternatives begin to replace oil, oil will become less of an inelastic/monopolized product and naturally drop in value and we would have not been able to sell our supply of it. Only government can convince people it is better to not to sell our product now for a higher price and then sell it later when it is worth less and the demand for it is less.

Sadly, nothing will get done because if government actually got things done, it wouldn't be government. It's far eaiser for politicians to blame OPEC, Bush, etc. than to fix the problem but as this video shows the problem is with congress/government/politicians.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
if only he would have kept it in his pants, I think he would be/have been pres. he is a very smart man. I would still vote for him.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
We need a draft for civil service in an non military army core of engineers to build solar and wind and other alternatives, rebuild the electric grid and retrofit for efficiency. All young people should have a chance to serve their country doing something that makes it better and doesn't kill people doing it.

That's an awesome idea!

I'd be on board with that!

Also, we should release the reserves to punish the speculators ... When oil is cheap again then we can replace it.

Problem solved!

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Let me tell you guys why #1 has a good chance of succeeding. Futures market is mostly leveraged. That means you deposit $10k and you get to trade $100k of oil (10x leverage). So if you are long oil and prices drop 10% you are completely wiped out and your position is closed. If the government plans a release of 1/3 of the SPR with a flood of sell orders, prices will PLUMMET and leveraged speculator positions will get WIPED out and you effectively kill most of the speculators. Of course this would have to be planned in secret and done with a hard blow.

LK thoughts on my analysis?

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: JS80
Let me tell you guys why #1 has a good chance of succeeding. Futures market is mostly leveraged. That means you deposit $10k and you get to trade $100k of oil (10x leverage). So if you are long oil and prices drop 10% you are completely wiped out and your position is closed. If the government plans a release of 1/3 of the SPR with a flood of sell orders, prices will PLUMMET and leveraged speculator positions will get WIPED out and you effectively kill most of the speculators. Of course this would have to be planned in secret and done with a hard blow.

Never Happen with an idiot at the helm. He'd rather watch the nation get tanked and go to war with Iran.

Typical WarMonger screw the american public, he's on a one braincell agenda.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
The number one thing I think the government could do is set a price floor for oil. Say they will not let oil drop below $120/barrel. This will mean that companies looking to mine oil shale our get oil in hard to reach places will fill secure that in 5-10 years when they bring the production online that the price per barrel hasn't tanked to $40. What will happen is that if oil is say $110/barrel the government will impose a tax of $10/barrel for any oil consumed in the US. This extra money will be used to invest in alternative energies.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: ericlp

Never Happen with an idiot at the helm. He'd rather watch the nation get tanked and go to war with Iran.

Typical WarMonger screw the american public, he's on a one braincell agenda.

Soooo...how are your chinese investments doing?

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

I love that plan, shame we don't have a government that works for us instead of against us.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Strategic Reserves are called that for a reason. They're for times of extreme emergencies, not because people have to pay more for oil. Leave that alone.

As for drilling in those other places, we need to balance them with other concerns. We can't abuse the environment for short-term gains.

Alternative solutions got a good start after that oil crisis in the 1970s.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
I can't believe how insular Americans can be. High oil price isn't due to speculation. It's due to other countries importing more of the stuff. It's due to other countries subsidizing the stuff. It has far more to do with demand than speculation. You people will look like complete asses if we use our strategic reserves and oil keeps going up and up. China and India are using a lot of oil. Indonesia and Malaysia subsidize their oil to the point of 10-15% of their GDP . THAT's a lot of money. If they take away their subsidies, their oil prices will rise, which would lower demand. That would, in turn, lower the price of oil.

So. stop thinking that every problem is a domestic problem. Believe it or not, there are other countries out there and they influence what you pay for various items.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Yes...Yes... Stop thinking... Just sit back and do nothing. Ignore the problem, somehow if we just don't do anything we soon won't have a problem!

:p

What's your -short- term solution? Don't tell me. Off Shore Drilling? That will take years to see any effect.

quest55720

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
Yes...Yes... Stop thinking... Just sit back and do nothing. Ignore the problem, somehow if we just don't do anything we soon won't have a problem!

What's your -short- term solution? Don't tell me. Off Shore Drilling? That will take years to see any effect.

It won't take years to take affect. The second they start floating rigs out there the price of oil will drop. A new stable safe supply is just what it will take to get the price down. They can get rigs up and running in 18 months in the gulf of mexico thanks to the infrastructor already in place.

We can not afford to do nothing especially when the winter hits. I don't like the thought of people having to freeze or starve to death because of the price of heating a home went up 40% in a year. The sooner we start drilling the sooner prices come down. We need oil now until that magical alternative is invented.

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: quest55720

It won't take years to take affect. The second they start floating rigs out there the price of oil will drop. A new stable safe supply is just what it will take to get the price down. They can get rigs up and running in 18 months in the gulf of mexico thanks to the infrastructor already in place.

We can not afford to do nothing especially when the winter hits. I don't like the thought of people having to freeze or starve to death because of the price of heating a home went up 40% in a year. The sooner we start drilling the sooner prices come down. We need oil now until that magical alternative is invented.

The pundits on fox news said it would only lower gas prices by a few dollars a barrel.