News article on "eco snobbery" when it comes to hybrid drivers/owners...

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bamx2

Oct 25, 2004
Thanks for the information . I don't buy new cars because of general sticker shock, depreciation, sales tax and insurance cost. So I guess a 2-3 year old Corolla ( Fit, Yaris etc ) would be a better buy (assuming fuel prices don't skyrocket) .

"I'm sorry for being short with the Consumer Reports reference, so he's some quotes from the article:

"Six of the 12 affordable hybrids we looked at can save you from about $500 to $4,250, even without tax credits, and pay back their price premium after only one year. They are the Toyota Prius and hybrid versions of the Chevrolet Malibu and Tahoe, Ford Escape, Saturn Vue, and Toyota Camry. For several, you can save even more by taking advantage of federal tax credits.

"It would take many years for most hybrids to pay back their premium price just on fuel savings. But fuel costs are only a relatively small part?25 percent?of the overall owner costs in the first five years. Other factors include depreciation, insurance, interest on financing, maintenance and repairs, and sales tax."

From the article, the Prius saves $2000 in fuel costs over five years verses a Corolla XLE. The depreciation of the Corolla is what makes the Prius break even after a year. Prius' hold thier value quite well."

sapiens74

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2004
My question was always that If a person who drives a Prius who gets 60mpg claims that someone who buys a Hummer is only getting 10 MPG therefore hurting the environment

Can a person who then buys a newer Prius, or say a Chevy Volt when it comes out and it is getting 75MPG, can they claim that the owner of the older Pruis is hurting the environment?
Is Karma based on MPG?

Uhtrinity

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2003
Originally posted by: SSSnail
Yes, and everybody that drives a hybrid know how to rebuild and recycle these batteries and parts...

And what the hell does this has anything to do with computers' batteries? I've never seen a hybrid computer before :confused: The whole point of this argument is that a lot of hybrid drivers are very ignorant.

My point is that there are very few packs even sitting in junk yards and those are being sold and reused for prices as low as 10% new. All the others (which are few) are being recycled through the dealers, so there is little to no waste. Take a look at a site like car-parts.com. You will be lucky to come across 20 - 50 battery packs nation-wide for each model. A vast majority of those 'ignorant' drivers are still under warranty, which means the dealers handle swaps, and those swaps are recycled through the manufactures. That rarely happens in the other markets that use batteries.

If you want to go on a crusade go after the disposable batteries used in smaller devices, by weight they will be magnitudes more than the hybrid market. That is why I mention them.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Wow, we just found perpetual energy in hybrids, seems like their batteries can be recycled to infinity and beyond!

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
Originally posted by: KDOG
I think THEY will be the ones whining in the near future....

Oh please. These little ricers driving around are getting snobby? I laughed hysterically at this article. Lets' get ONE real bad winter season, or some other disaster/event etc. that requires a vehicle that can actually operate on surfaces other than perfectly smooth concrete, and they will see the error of their ways. And lets not even talk about what happens when one of those lunch boxes gets in an accident with something of substantial size.

I'm all for eco-friendlyness, and oil independence (that issue is a big deal with me). I've even thought about building an electric motorcycle or even buying a cheap motorcycle period for short jaunts and nice days But a friggin Prius? No thanks. I have no problem with my Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L I-6 And I sure am going to feel safer in it with more and more matchbox cars running around....

So I know about the SUV haters club here, wheres' the SUV lovers club...

do you even know what ricer means? your tone is condescending and childish- each type of vehicle has its uses, and just because your car is bigger doesn't mean it will do better in the snow. my accord does just fine in it :roll:

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
Originally posted by: ss284
How can a tech forum like this have so much math fail in it?

because of arrogant opinionated assholes who think they are always 100% right and thinks everyone else is an idiot, duh!

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
Originally posted by: Perknose

I'm astounded that here, on a site devoted to tech heads, there would be such monkey boy poo flinging at such amazing technology.

What the hell is WRONG with you guys? Why are you so angry and over the top defensive?

simple, Its because it's the P&N section- and hybrids are seen as very "LIBRUL", so the idiots who follow the party line just sees everyone who drives them as smug tree huggers

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
Hate for the SUV hate for the Hybrid

Why can't we be friends , why can't we be friends:music:

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
It just happens that gas prices rise at the opportune time to make them appear intelligence; prior to that, the argument of savings was moot. So that left us with the "environmental conscious oh look at me I'm a cool hippy that cares about the environment but didn't know how damaging the battery would be" crowd, hence smug, snob, whatever you want to call them.

It's OK though, I'll cling to my gas guzzling car and try to do everything else I can to reduce my carbon foot print instead of running around pretending to care. For instance, I won't fart loudly, this time.
It doesn't "make them appear intelligent" to say something that is correct. Doing something that saves them money IS intelligent. Not doing something that saves you money is your choice, but it doesn't make anyone LESS intelligent than you. Get off your high horse. :roll: I know a hell of a lot more about hybrid technology than you ever will. I also understand the environmental impact of them and traditional cars more than you ever will. But I didn't make any bones about it: I bought a Prius because it was a sound financial decision. I will still run over the hippies walking to Whole Foods who just got out of their Priuses because they can't be bothered to look before crossing the street.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Good for you, notice how I didn't use any conclusive terms in my argument? That would probably leave you and the few on here out of the "most" that I talked about.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Good for you, notice how I didn't use any conclusive terms in my argument? That would probably leave you and the few on here out of the "most" that I talked about.
So you're now admitting that you've concocted some bastard child fallacy combining the worst elements of the hasty generalization and the strawman? Congratulations - you're an idiot. :cookie:

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Originally posted by: CycloWizard
So you're now admitting that you've concocted some bastard child fallacy combining the worst elements of the hasty generalization and the strawman? Congratulations - you're an idiot. :cookie:

WTF is up with the personal attacks? Are you an imbecile?

I simply said MOST of the effin hybrid drivers have no effing clues what the fuck they're doing, or any understanding of the technology besides the "me too" factor and what the commercials telling them about gas savings. You don't need to get your panties in a bunch, be careful before you hurt yourself. Who gives a shit what YOU know or do? I said MOST. Take your hybrid and putter it up where the sun don't shine, please. And do me a favor, get the fack out of the fast lane next time.

Did I strike a nerve somewhere? I thought you were more intelligent than having the thought process and reading comprehension of a 5th grader, for someone who's been alive that long.

Edit: In retrospect, your attitude and the few here does highlight the OP's points.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Vic
The stupidest part of that article is people who own niche cars frequently wave to each other on the road. It's not unique to Prius drivers, no matter how much that article wants to claim it is. I can barely drive to the store and back without getting a wave or peace sign from another WRX/STI driver. Mini drivers are the same.

I own a VW and get waves from other drivers too. Also see bikers doing the 'low wave'. I guess VW drivers and bikers are toolish snobs too.

Originally posted by: Budmantom
Are you as smart as Lowbeam?
I'm smart enough to be able to do basic arithmetic. :roll:

:laugh:

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Okay okay... I shouldn't have used Moonie's math without checking it first... :eek:

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
Okay okay... I shouldn't have used Loonie's math without checking it first... :eek:

12,000 miles / 20 mpg difference = 600 gallons * $4 per gal = $2400 dollars

You didn't ;) his numbers were even worse.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
WTF is up with the personal attacks? Are you an imbecile?

I simply said MOST of the effin hybrid drivers have no effing clues what the fuck they're doing, or any understanding of the technology besides the "me too" factor and what the commercials telling them about gas savings. You don't need to get your panties in a bunch, be careful before you hurt yourself. Who gives a shit what YOU know or do? I said MOST. Take your hybrid and putter it up where the sun don't shine, please. And do me a favor, get the fack out of the fast lane next time.

Did I strike a nerve somewhere? I thought you were more intelligent than having the thought process and reading comprehension of a 5th grader, for someone who's been alive that long.

Edit: In retrospect, your attitude and the few here does highlight the OP's points.
Nope, I generally like to call out idiots who make posts where they don't say anything conclusive. This is a typical formula for a troll. By avoiding any definitive statements, they can easily back away from their position while demonizing their opponents, then claiming that their opponents are personally attacking them when they are called on their tactics. Fits your approach in this thread to a T.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
You seriously are a product of your imagination, borderline delusional. Do you understand the difference when I say MOST hybrid drivers are ignorant vs. your definition of trolling? It would be dishonest of me to say ALL hybrid drivers are idiots, so MOST fits in this case. What I learned (and you should too) is that nothing is ever conclusive. And quit nit picking my words, it's childish, address the issues. Check your ego at the door.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
You seriously are a product of your imagination, borderline delusional. Do you understand the difference when I say MOST hybrid drivers are ignorant vs. your definition of trolling? It would be dishonest of me to say ALL hybrid drivers are idiots, so MOST fits in this case. What I learned (and you should too) is that nothing is ever conclusive. And quit nit picking my words, it's childish, address the issues. Check your ego at the door.
Some things are conclusive. Your being an idiot is one of them. If you want to make sweeping generalizations, then fall back on the inconclusivity of your statements, you leave anyone little choice but to point out your words and tactics. The bottom line is that you made a hasty generalization, I called you on it, and you failed to digress.

KDOG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
This is all a moot point anyway, when that Hadron collider starts smashin' protons, we'll all be sucked down into a black hole of doom anyway.....I'm gonna step out now and go eat a big steak or some other meat based product, just to aggravate the animal luvers.

(check sarcasm meter before responding please)

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Originally posted by: CycloWizard
Some things are conclusive. Your being an idiot is one of them. If you want to make sweeping generalizations, then fall back on the inconclusivity of your statements, you leave anyone little choice but to point out your words and tactics. The bottom line is that you made a hasty generalization, I called you on it, and you failed to digress.

What are you blabbing about now? Oh right, you're the ultimate truth. Keep wallowing in your own drools. What hasty generalization? What I said are based on observed facts around where I live, and I couldn't bare myself to say ALL hybrid drivers are ignorant so I said MOST. But now that you're affirming my beliefs, I'm almost inclined to say ALL are stupid.

Are you stupid? That was a very rhetorical question btw, don't need to answer it.

Edit: Oh, btw, YOU'RE != YOUR. Idiot!

KDOG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Wow, that collider has already started doing its thing cuz this thread has already been sucked down into oblivion, now having nothing to do with the original post.

It is now about Burger King. I just ate one of their steakhouse burgers, I really like them. Anyone else like Burger King?

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Why is it everytime the hybrid payback question comes up, do I always see so many "Chevy Tahoe with a 10,000lb trailer versus Toyota Prius rolling down a hill" mileage calculations to try and make the math work? Those aren't the only two cars available last time I checked, and while the prius doesn't have a direct non-hybrid version to compare, the closet available stand in is most certainly NOT a lifted Jeep Grand Cherokee. :roll:

Uhtrinity

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2003
In the last year I drove my Insight about 10,000 miles, and saved almost $1,000 in gas. This is based on the the Saturn it replaced. The Saturn got 25 - 35mpg, my Insight averages 80mpg. Granted I bought used, so that helped.