Newly-Built Computer Issues

JackSpadesSI

Jan 13, 2009
I apologize in advance for the LONG post, but I could REALLY use everyone?s help on this.

Here is the list of the problems I?m having, read the long post for any details:
Once computer goes to ?sleep? it can?t be awoken
Windows occasionally hangs on ?Shutting Down? when restarting
Occasional errors on startup ? even after shutting down normally
E8500 only running at 8.5x under 100% load
Changing to 9.5x in BIOS caused boot issues
Changing back to 8.5x in BIOS kept boot issues

Could this all point to a voltage issue with the RAM or CPU?

This past Saturday I built my computer with the parts in my signature. It seemed to run well initially and I began the arduous task of updating every single part in the machine. After that, I installed and updated Crysis and went on my merry way playing that for several hours. However, I did notice the weird issue that if I walked away from the computer and it went into sleep mode that I couldn?t ?awaken? it ? I?d hit buttons on the keyboard and the fans and lights would start up only for a second and die off again. Any time I hit a key it was like it was trying to come back but couldn?t.

Sometimes when I selected ?restart? from the start menu the computer would hang indefinitely on ?Shutting Down? and I?d have to hold down the power button to shut it off ? this happened several times.

Also, sometimes when the computer seemed to be running perfectly fine and I restarted it would claim that Windows wasn?t properly shut down and asked if I wanted to boot in Safe Mode. However, no keys on my keyboard were able to do anything on screen and (because it is default) the computer would boot up normally after that ? this happened several times. I don?t think there is a keyboard issue; because my keyboard CAN access the BIOS prompts on startup (I use a Razer Lycosa Mirror, if that matters).

On Sunday I first ran CPU-Z and it told me my E8500 was only running at 6.0x 333 MHz = 1998.0 MHz. After some Googling I realized that is the power-saving feature of the CPU and it should still hit max. I ran Prime95 and found that the max could only get to 8.5x 333 MHz = 2830.5 MHz. After MORE Googling I found that I could just go into the BIOS and change the multiplier (I thought that was only possible with ?extreme? CPUs).

My BIOS has two lines for the multiplier (I?m typing this from memory) one for the integer and one ?fine? for the decimal. Those two lines read 8 and 5, respectively. I changed it to 9 and 5 respectively, saved, and it rebooted. Things looked good. The computer booted up and CPU-Z displayed either 6x or 9.5x (depending on whether I was running Prime95).

The computer did restart once more after that just fine, but the next time it just kept rebooting in a loop ? only getting as far as the Windows logo and then starting over. I went into the BIOS and changed the 9 back to an 8 and it didn?t help. I couldn?t boot back up. However, this morning it booted up just fine (still with 8.5) after having changed nothing. I turned it off soon after, though.

I just want my computer to run stable at 9.5x? I didn?t think that was too much to ask for when I bought an E8500!

JackSpadesSI

Jan 13, 2009
Anyone who can help me here I?d greatly appreciate it! Just from reading other people?s posts I?ve got some vague ideas of what to do here, but no clue how to do them (if they are even the right things to do at all).

Here are things that come to mind:
Is this a voltage issue to the CPU or RAM?
Is the CPU bad?
Is the RAM bad?
Is it a BIOS version issue (possible, but it shouldn?t be since even the original BIOS version on the GA-EP45-UD3P supported the E8500)?

Why should I have to raise the multiplier in the BIOS just to get up to stock speeds? That worries me! Is that indicative of a bad CPU that isn?t natively capable of 9.5x (3.16 GHz)?

Again, I?d REALLY appreciate some help here!

Flipped Gazelle

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2004
This should probably be posted in the "General Help" section rather than the "CPU" section. You might get more help there.

JackSpadesSI

Jan 13, 2009
Ok, I copied my posts in this thread to the "Computer Help" section. I just figured that with several similar posts in the "CPUs and Overclocking" section that mine would fit in.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Originally posted by: JackSpadesSI

Could this all point to a voltage issue with the RAM or CPU?

something is not getting enough voltage to run properly.

45% of the time its your RAM.

Can you go into bios, and set Optimized Defaults.

Its gonna make your cmos go back to stock and see if your system handles properly in stock.

EDIT:
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P, Corsair Dominator 4GB (2x2GB)

Meh... update your bios for the UD3P. The new bios handles 45nm chips better.

JackSpadesSI

Jan 13, 2009
Is it possible that I got a CPU with a "bad multiplier"? I'm not sure if that is possible, but I'd like to know ASAP if I have to RMA the CPU since Newegg's return policy is quite short on time.

If I'm posting in the wrong place, please let me know so I can ask another group. I really can't afford to get stuck with a bad $187.99 processor!

CoinOperatedBoy

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2008
There's no such thing as a "bad multiplier". You can have a faulty chip that is not capable of stock speeds and it incidentally relates to the 9.5 multiplier in that way. But in general, my experience has been that CPUs are "all or nothing" in that they either work properly or they don't unless there is physical damage to pins or a core. They may lose some overclocking capability over time, but that's it.

More likely is a mobo, RAM, or PSU issue. What is your CPU's reported VID in CPU-Z? What about its Vcore in BIOS and as reported by CPU-Z? Have you reset your CMOS?

JackSpadesSI

Jan 13, 2009
After work last night I was all ready to RMA my installed processor and order a new one with rush shipping. At the last minute, for whatever reason, I decided to play around in the BIOS first. It was then that I noticed a prompt that said something along the lines of ?Load Optimized Settings?.

After selecting that and rebooting my computer ran with a 9.5x multiplier (under load) like it should! The BIOS showed a 9 for the integer multiplier and a 0.5 for the ?fine? multiplier. This was then confirmed when I ran Prime95 with CPU-Z and CPU-Z showed the correct 9.5 multiplier.

I assume that means my CPU is fine and doesn?t need to be RMA?ed? PLEASE let me know on this as I?m running out of time to RMA if I do have a bad CPU!

That doesn?t mean that I?m done, though. I still have some other issues to resolve. BEFORE loading optimized settings in the BIOS I ran CPU-Z and saw some odd activity. While the processor was saving energy with its 6.0x multiplier the Core Voltage was all over the place. It ranged from 1.072V to 1.216V. While the processor was under load at 8.5x multiplier (again, before I looked at the BIOS) the Core Voltage was perfectly steady at 1.200V.

Does it imply any sort of system instability to have the Core Voltage fluctuate like it did while saving energy? Tonight I?ll see if it still fluctuates at 6.0x now that the BIOS is configured for optimized settings.

AFTER configuring the BIOS for optimized settings I looked at the BIOS?s option called something like ?PC Health Status?. This is the information I found there (again, AFTER configuring the BIOS for optimized settings):

Vcore = 1.236V (occasionally the integer would flicker so quick I couldn?t read the change, but otherwise steady)

DDR18V = 2.096V (occasionally the integer would flicker so quick I couldn?t read the change, but otherwise steady)

+3.3V = ranged 3.296V to 3.312V

+12V = 12.175V

Current System Temperature = ranged 47C to 48C

Current CPU Temperature = ranged 42C to 43C

CPU Fan = ranged 1355 RPM to 1363 RPM

Are any of those figures a concern?

I Googled more on the issue I have with bringing my computer out of sleep mode and some people think it is just an inherent problem with the motherboard. As the sleep function isn?t really that important to me (should it be?) I just disabled it in Windows and figure I can live without it.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I think it's fine. The voltages never stay at a rock solid steady setting, they fluctuate. Are you sure nothing was running in the background when you saw the voltage vary? Have you tried setting the multiplier to 9 and .5 and the fsb to 333 manually, and entered your ram voltage and settings manually? I have the same exact set up, mine runs at 9.5 x 425fsb without changing the voltage from auto in the bios, I suspect yours should at the very least run at it's rated settings trouble-free.
If you are concerned about the multiplier turn Speedstep off and let it run full speed all the time, although I wouldn't do that because in 2d I don't need it full speed.

JackSpadesSI

Jan 13, 2009
n00ky, thanks for the reply!

Windows Vista, the trial version of Norton Internet Security, and whatever other start-up programs I have were running in the background when I ran CPU-Z to see those fluctuating Core Voltages. Those same programs were running in the background, though, when I loaded the CPU with Prime95 and saw no Core Voltage fluctuation.

When you first put your computer together did you ever check to see what the multiplier was before doing anything else in the BIOS? Am I the ONLY one that had it come up as 8.5x initially? As I said, the multiplier got corrected to 9.5x when I loaded the optimized settings, but it still bugs me that it didn't know it was 9.5 on its own.

Should I have to enter any voltages for the CPU or RAM or should "auto" take care of those by themselves?

Finally, unless I'm mistaken (which I often am about these things) SpeedStep only alters the multiplier in Windows at idle for energy savings and would have NO impact on the 8.5x multiplier I had been seeing in the BIOS before I loaded the optimized settings.

For me, my multiplier goes to 6.0x at idle and that is NOT what I'm talking about when I say my multiplier was low. I was talking about my previous max of 8.5x (down from the true max of 9.5x for the E8500).

JackSpadesSI

Jan 13, 2009
n00ky,

I am curious, though, which CPU fan/heatsink you use to run at 425 MHz * 9.5 = 4.04 GHz stable? What CPU temps and system temps do you see with that configuration?

Are my temps too hot for stock cooling at idle loads?

Thanks!

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Actually I'm at 450 x 9.5 on the stock voltages, my bad. It will do 475 x 9.5 with some bumping up of the voltages, but the speed increase isn't even noticeable over the 450 x 9.5 and I can keep the voltages on auto.
I did have to manually set my multiplier in the bios, that and my memory voltage were the first things I did at first boot.
I use the Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro, my first choice was out of stock and it seems to be doing well. My first choice was the Xigmatek Red Scorpion, I think now I'd go with their new one, the Black Knight I think it's called?
It seems each cpu varies in it's abilities, I built a friends computer and couldn't get it to 4.5 with the Xigmatek to save my life, but mine does it easily.
I think your temperatures are in line with what I've seen on the web, mine run a tad bit cooler but it also depends on your case/cooling and how well your cpu is contacting the heat sink and thermal paste etc. I have a 120 mm fan right above my cpu fan blowing air out.