Newer Pontiac Sunfire not compatible with most car stereos?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

wetcat007

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2002
Originally posted by: rbloedow
I can't think of much right off of the top of my head, but here's a few:

2000+ Ford Focus 2-door
Honda Civic Coupe (probably the best econo-coupe available)
Oldsmobile Alero Coupe (still worlds ahead of the sunfire, and it looks good)
A 98-ish Toyota Celica
A 98 Nissan 200sx SE-R
98 Nissan 240sx
97 Honda Prelude

The Alero uses the same frame/engine as the sunfire doesn't it? Well maybe it has an optional V6 or something but it's on the same frame for sure. But i was looking at those too, how much better are tehy than a Sunfire? I know Olds is higher on the chain the pontiac, and pontiac is above chevy.

Preludes are going for like 9500 on carsoup or ebay, and I'm not too fond of how they look. Celica's are also above trhe price range unless they have over 100k miles on them. Those nissans seem to be very rare. The Focus seems to be close in that price range, however I dun like the hatback too much, but I suppose i could settle for a sedan in that case. Another car i was looking at was the Dodge Avenger, does anyone know how well those things run? Also is the Grand Am any better than the sunfire? I believe they use the same engine on the base models.

Thanks for the help keep it comming!

-Mark

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
The make and model does very little after 3 years, give or take, for reliability.

I have seen toyotas that were pretty much gone at 50K and I have seen Pontiacs, which by all the fanboys here say are crap, with over 300K and going strong.

The good thing about a sunfire is they don't hold their vaule very well so you can get a good one for dirt cheap. They were only for 9K-13K new so one as old as you are talking about SHOULD be less then 5K if not more.

When looking at used cars, look at ITS history, not the name as much.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: aircooled
Your car is a Caviler (or J-Body GM). There are adapters made especially for the J-body radios.

it has absolutely nothing to do with it being a j-body. it has everything with it being GM.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: wetcat007
Originally posted by: rbloedow
I can't think of much right off of the top of my head, but here's a few:

2000+ Ford Focus 2-door
Honda Civic Coupe (probably the best econo-coupe available)
Oldsmobile Alero Coupe (still worlds ahead of the sunfire, and it looks good)
A 98-ish Toyota Celica
A 98 Nissan 200sx SE-R
98 Nissan 240sx
97 Honda Prelude

The Alero uses the same frame/engine as the sunfire doesn't it? Well maybe it has an optional V6 or something but it's on the same frame for sure. But i was looking at those too, how much better are tehy than a Sunfire? I know Olds is higher on the chain the pontiac, and pontiac is above chevy.

Preludes are going for like 9500 on carsoup or ebay, and I'm not too fond of how they look. Celica's are also above trhe price range unless they have over 100k miles on them. Those nissans seem to be very rare. The Focus seems to be close in that price range, however I dun like the hatback too much, but I suppose i could settle for a sedan in that case. Another car i was looking at was the Dodge Avenger, does anyone know how well those things run? Also is the Grand Am any better than the sunfire? I believe they use the same engine on the base models.

Thanks for the help keep it comming!

-Mark

Alero and Grand Am share the same platform. Sunfire and Cavalier are different.