Newer Nvidia Forceware Drivers FSAA problem

TC91

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2007
ever since i upgraded the drivers from forceware 169.12 beta, i can no longer force fsaa using the control panel with games that dont support it. i would like to not revert back as crysis plays a bit better on these new drivers. for example, in madden 08, whenever i try forcing fsaa (tried both override and enhance options with tr aa @ super, multi, and off), the game no longer has any fsaa, and the players turn colours, sometimes they all turn black and i dont know who is who and sometimes they turn rainbow coloured. In ut3 or gears or war, forcing fsaa shows no image enhancements, but a loss in performance instead. previously, the fsaa worked, but now it doesnt with games that dont have it built in, but games like aoe3 and crysis that have fsaa built in do work. anyone have the same issue or know a workaround?

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
nVidia's control panel is junk - use nHancer. I have no issues with forcing AA in 169.21.

TC91

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2007
played around with nhancer a bit, it is better than nvidia's control panel and i will continue to use it, however it did not apply fsaa properly to madden 08, ut3, or gears; disappointed with nvidia's new drivers.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Originally posted by: BFG10K
nVidia's control panel is junk - use nHancer. I have no issues with forcing AA in 169.21.

I'm using the 169.25 WHQL driver, and I have to use the Enhance option to get 8xS working in WoW with nhancer. Only game I've tried so far with these drivers, but I didn't have to do that before I upgraded the driver.

Dkcode

May 1, 2005
My control panel is also broken since switched to the latest drivers.

I globally force FSAA in the control panel and i use the custom profiles in UE3 games to turn it off for more performance. The latest driver will not keep the custom profile settings instead it forces FSAA in every game.

Never had this problem using the 169.09 beta's so i switched back.

praesto

Jan 29, 2007
with 169.21's, on XP sp2, I cannot force FSAA in UT3, Bioshock or gears. I know some people think that the unreal engine 3.0 only supports FSAA with dx 10, but that is a straight-down lie. I have seen with my own eyes that FSAA gets applied to both UT3 AND Bioshock aswell. FSAA sure did work with the 169.04 drivers for me, but with the .21's it doesn't seem to :(. And seriously, the jaggies in Bioshock are killing me.

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
Originally posted by: nitromullet

I'm using the 169.25 WHQL driver, and I have to use the Enhance option to get 8xS working in WoW with nhancer. Only game I've tried so far with these drivers, but I didn't have to do that before I upgraded the driver.

How do you enable 8xS mode? I haven't used Nvidia cards in a long time, and I thought the 8-series don't support 8xS mode.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Originally posted by: munky

How do you enable 8xS mode? I haven't used Nvidia cards in a long time, and I thought the 8-series don't support 8xS mode.

You have to use nHancer. Select "combined" in the AA settings.

LittleNemoNES

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I force 4xAA globally and then change AA mode for every game individually w/ enhancer. So that the default is not App pref for AA but 4x multisample

With Nhancer I force 0x AA for Crysis, and App AA for BF2 (8x in the game)

It's kind of tricky but once you get the hang of it, you can get AA to work in EVERYTHING.

If you don't get it, give me the name of the game and I'll try to give you a solution. BTW, I am on Vista x64 w/ 8800GT

TC91

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2007
yah, im pretty ticked off at this newer driver, it technically should not be worse in anyway than the older ones, but i ve 'upgraded' to the 169.12 beta i had previously and now have my fsaa back.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Okay, with more testing I think I've found the issue. For Unreal 3 based games I'm getting AA but the level of AA is the global one, not the profile one.

So for Bioshock and MoH:AA (and likely other Unreal 3 based games like UT3 and Gears of War) you need to set the AA level at the global level. If your global is "off", "application", or "enhance" you won't get AA even if your profile asks for it.

This doesn't appear to be happening in non-Unreal 3 games (I tried Jericho and Doom 3 to confirm).

Originally posted by: munky

You have to use nHancer. Select "combined" in the AA settings.
Keep in mind that 8xS doesn't currently work in OpenGL for 8xxx products.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I've been further testing and it looks like profile AA is broken for all Direct3D titles, though OpenGL seems unaffected.

If you specify an AA level (e.g. 4x) in a profile for a Direct3D game it'll get ignored and the global will be used instead.

Furthermore this problem goes back quite a few driver versions as I erroneously thought the driver was responsible for slowdowns in games like Serious Sam 2 . but now I changed the global value to the profile one and performance went to where it should be.

So as a temporary fix use the global AA value for Direct3D applications; note that AA flags such as HDR and TrAA seem to be working through the profile.

TC91

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2007
thanks to everyone very much for your guy's time and effort with the fsaa testing, greatly appreciate it.