cbrsurfr

Golden Member
Jul 15, 2000
I'm beginning to question the validity of resellerratings.com.

I had a "slightly dissatisfied" experience with Newegg back in 2003, and I posted my comments on RR. I left my comments to share my experience about Newegg, I expected nothing out of it. Shortly after posting Paul from Newegg cust. service contacted me. He basically said Newegg would give me a refund but only IF I edited my review first. I emailed back saying I didn't care about the money (it was a small amount anyway) and that it wasn't very ethical of them to ask me to change my review before they would give me a refund.

Long story short they decided to give me a refund regardless of what I did. Sounds pretty darn nice of them right? Especially since I had already turned it down. So I eventually edited my comments saying they did contact me and explained the whole situation with refunding only after editing, and also that in the end they just decided to refund anyway.

Fast forward to now: I decided to pull up my review and was surprised with the results. Somehow my review was completely deleted, maybe intentionally? Since they get so many reviews I don't see why they needed to cover up my review because it was quickly buried and I didn't think it was very damaging or anything.

So now this leaves me wondering how often people's reviews are deleted and why? Has it happened before? With other companies? Makes me also wonder how accurate companies are rated using resellerratings.

** Got my review reinstated by contacting RR cust service.

Corsairpro

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2001
newegg has a strong marketing dept. and I'm sure that if they "caught" your comments on RRs then they most likely (as part of their marketing depts corporate image plan) intend to keep their "super best greatest on RRs" status. So sure, they may influence RRs decision to delete/hide comments, thats business. Do you have a subscription to RR? Then they don't owe you anything. Newegg is still a very high quality company regardless of what their marketing dept does.

brigden

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2002
Good observation. I suggest contacting resellerratings.com for an explanation.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
heh, i still love newegg regardless. just like i love microsoft, and mcdonalds, and every other big name company thats wronged thousands

cbrsurfr

Golden Member
Jul 15, 2000
Originally posted by: brigden
Good observation. I suggest contacting resellerratings.com for an explanation.

I'm writing them right now.

I'm not particularly mad at Newegg or anything. Hell i've spent thousands there since that review. But it does concern me that it was deleted.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Did you let Newegg know about your "slightly dissatisfied" experience" with them before you posted on RR?

cbrsurfr

Golden Member
Jul 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Dr Smooth
Did you let Newegg know about your "slightly dissatisfied" experience" with them before you posted on RR?

No I didn't. Why should I? So they could offer me something so I wouldn't tarnish their image? I didn't want nor did I expect anything from them, I just wanted to post my experience...that is what RR is for ( people to post their experiences with various companies). I was slightly dissatisfied because at the time their refurb disclaimer had a line it it that said something to the effect, "We do not ship out physically damaged goods." I was later told this again in an email from Paul.

Well, I was shipped a completely useless physically damaged good. And no it is not possible that fedex damaged it, it was extremely well wrapped and the box had no damage. So it was already broken from Newegg and clearly at that. They screwed up plain and simple, any physically damaged goods are supposed to be pulled and not sent on to the customer. Then the USPS lost it and I didn't have insurance so it was my fault for not being able to complete the RMA process (I did have the receipt and DC). I would have left the slightly dissatisfied review regardless of whether or not the RMA was completed....because if they hadn't shipped out a physically damaged good in the first place then I wouldn't have had to RMA it.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: cbrsurfr

No I didn't. Why should I? So they could offer me something so I wouldn't tarnish their image? I didn't want nor did I expect anything from them, I just wanted to post my experience...that is what RR is for ( people to post their experiences with various companies). I was slightly dissatisfied because at the time their refurb disclaimer had a line it it that said something to the effect, "We do not ship out physically damaged goods." I was later told this again in an email from Paul.

Well, I was shipped a completely useless physically damaged good. And no it is not possible that fedex damaged it, it was extremely well wrapped and the box had no damage. So it was already broken from Newegg and clearly at that. They screwed up plain and simple, any physically damaged goods are supposed to be pulled and not sent on to the customer. Then the USPS lost it and I didn't have insurance so it was my fault for not being able to complete the RMA process (I did have the receipt and DC). I would have left the slightly dissatisfied review regardless of whether or not the RMA was completed....because if they hadn't shipped out a physically damaged good in the first place then I wouldn't have had to RMA it.

Why should you? If you had contacted Newegg, you probably would have gotten you wanted right away. I think Newegg realizes it is good business, particularly in an internet\mailorder business, to have satisfied customers and probably would have done anything to make you happy.

cbrsurfr

Golden Member
Jul 15, 2000

Why should you? If you had contacted Newegg, you probably would have gotten you wanted right away. I think Newegg realizes it is good business, particularly in an internet\mailorder business, to have satisfied customers and probably would have done anything to make you happy.

But I didn't want anything... I never once asked for a refund in talking to Paul. There is nothing they could have done to make me happy. I didn't even want an apology. I felt strongly that I had an unsatisfactory experience and I shared it on RR. They said right in their disclaimer that they don't ship out physically damaged goods yet they did...that is why I was dissatisfied. Making me happy was being able to freely post about my experience on RR. They got their way anyway by having it removed.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003

But I didn't want anything... I never once asked for a refund in talking to Paul. There is nothing they could have done to make me happy. I didn't even want an apology. I felt strongly that I had an unsatisfactory experience and I shared it on RR. They said right in their disclaimer that they don't ship out physically damaged goods yet they did...that is why I was dissatisfied. Making me happy was being able to freely post about my experience on RR. They got their way anyway by having it removed.

You are the bane of merchants everywhere. You are impossible to satisfy and when offered compensation for a company's wrong you turn it down and continue to bash the company.

prvteye2003

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Feldenak

You are the bane of merchants everywhere. You are impossible to satisfy and when offered compensation for a company's wrong you turn it down and continue to bash the company.

I disagree. Newegg broke policy by doing what they did. He is right in that that is what resellerratings.com is for. What I don't agree with is that you should have contacted them first to see what could have been done about the problem in the first place. I've been using newegg for years and like you have spent thousands of dollars there. I've only ever had to send something back one time and that's because they sent me the wrong part in the first place. They paid my shipping back plus gave me an extra $5 for my time. Not much but they didn't have to do it. Everything I've ever gotten from them(and I do mean everything) still works and have never had a problem with anything I've ever gotten from them. They are, imo, the best online seller for computer parts in the business right now and I will continue to deal with them until I feel otherwise.

screw3d

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Have you considered that it could have been the shipper (FedEx?) that damaged the goods, not Newegg?

cbrsurfr

Golden Member
Jul 15, 2000
Originally posted by: screw3d
Have you considered that it could have been the shipper (FedEx?) that damaged the goods, not Newegg?

I answered that earlier before anyone else asked it. No, fedex could not have damaged it. There was no damage to the box and it was wrapped in several layers of bubble wrap.

cbrsurfr

Golden Member
Jul 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Feldenak

You have to also look at the way they offered it....they originally offered a refund only if I would change my review! Very shady IMO. But all is good because my review was just reinstated.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
It seems to me that you didn't let your "experience" reach it's natural end. Your "experience" wasn't over because Newegg wasn't given a chance to make sure everything is ok. Responding to problems is part of customer service, and you didn't let them do that.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: TallBill
heh, i still love newegg regardless. just like i love microsoft, and mcdonalds, and every other big name company thats wronged thousands
I would think that you, of all people, would feel compelled to contact the Attorney General and BBB about this!

I was surprised at the number of threads popping up about the behavior of Newegg lately:I was more surprised that none of these issues were showing up at ResellerRatings. Guess I know why now...

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Heh. I attribute ALL Newegg problems to one of three things:

People buying refurb hardware. Retailer refurbishment is the WORST quality EVER. Factory refurbs are generally EXCELLENT quality. Newegg does NOT do factory refurbs.

n00blets who blow up their hardware on the first boot and blame Newegg for shipping DOAs

This one I'm not sure about. It seems to me that Newegg has a non-english speaking shipping staff. It seems that once you've spent a certain amount of money over history, your orders get processed by someone that speaks the language.

To this day, I've never seen a long-time customer get shafted by Newegg with non-refurb hardware. Also, guess what - from time to time, even brand new hardware is bad from the factory. It's not always Newegg's fault.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You chose to ignore the links above, with buyers getting sent refurb crap, when they paid for new equipment. Why is that?

Dragnov

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Uh, I gotta side w/ cbrsurfr on this one.

Why the hell should he contact Newegg BEFORE writing his reseller rating review? When I order a new product, I expect a new product. If they send me a product not as described, then that is THEIR fault.

Give them a chance to correct it? Sure, once they do correct it, only then would I adjust my review/rating. Absolutely shady, to ask him to change his review first. Even still then, I would dock some points for the hassle/trouble/time.