Newegg Throwing in Monitors and Motherboards with GTX 1060 and RX 580 Graphics Cards

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
It's a cheesy trick by Newegg, to try to justify their outrageous prices on graphics cards.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Stores like Newegg and Microcenter want to be selling video cards to DIY system builders rather than cryptominers (but will sell them to whoever wants to buy). Everyone is afraid that cryptominers is not a stable market, they will buy a lot of cards now, but they will be gone next year, that if these shortages last too long it will negatively effect their primary market of DIY builders. These companies worked hard to gain market share of that market and they are really afraid this will cost them an entire generation of DIY builders who are going to either move to console, decide they don't really need to upgrade that often, or (most worryingly) find other outlets to buy from.

The idea here is that the DIY market will not handle the huge markup on GPUs that the cryptomarket can obviously handle, but a large percentage of the DIY market often buys several parts at a time to do new builds, so if they can bundle popular parts together they can price for the DIY market while still charging a premium to the Cryptominer market.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
This is pretty standard practice and happens a crapload with Newegg especially. Usually at least one item in the bundle is garbage (pay close attention to RAM, motherboards, and PSUs). Generally not worth it unless you know specifically each item in the bundle is worth it, and even then you're usually exchanging some product you weren't intending to buy for like a $10 discount.

Snarf Snarf

Feb 19, 2015
It's a cheesy trick by Newegg, to try to justify their outrageous prices on graphics cards.

To be fair to Newegg the suppliers increased their prices and us poor retailers are stuck marking up the already inflated cost. The blame lies squarely on crypto-miners that are buying the cards at inflated prices which is a clear signal to retailers that they will buy at any price. I ordered 11 1080ti's for a customer and he was willing to pay $1350 for each card with overnight shipping. As long as people are okay paying those prices they aren't going down anytime soon.

I'm having to do what Newegg is doing, I have a couple of each Pascal card in stock strictly for system builds or if someone buys a CPU/Motherboard combo I'll sell the GPU at my cost just to be able to get gamers a system up and running without losing the sale. Between DDR4 pricing and GPU pricing I'm hardly selling any builds right now and it really sucks for that side of the business but I'm compensating by making more money on crypto-miners ordering GPU's. I covered an entire weeks worth of system sales on those 11 1080ti's and all I had to do was call my OEM supplier and hit buy.