Newegg: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SSD $80

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artista

Jan 7, 2011
Anyone jumping on this? I am tempted, though I would rather have a 256Gb drive. Dollar is king.

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
Even though these are OCZ, these particular ones are good drives. Great price!

Blueychan

Feb 1, 2008
Wow awesome price, bought one, been looking for a good deal on SSD for my new build. Thanks OP!

The Vertex 4 SSDs are OCZ performance drives, comparable to the intel 520s and Samsung 830s. The only reason people are reluctant on buying OCZ is because of past reputation, but keep in mind these come with newer driver and for this price, worth the risk imo.

Here is the review on this drive for anyone interested:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6074/ocz-vertex-4-review-128gb/3

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
Wow awesome price, bought one, been looking for a good deal on SSD for my new build. Thanks OP!

The Vertex 4 SSDs are OCZ performance drives, comparable to the intel 520s and Samsung 830s. The only reason people are reluctant on buying OCZ is because of past reputation, but keep in mind these come with newer driver and for this price, worth the risk imo.

Here is the review on this drive for anyone interested:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6074/ocz-vertex-4-review-128gb/3

Keep in mind that the benchmarks you see only apply when the drive is half full or less. It's a firmware trick that Anandtech was frankly not critical enough of:

OCZ's new performance mode in the Vertex 4's firmware is pretty unique. While the specifics of what's going on internally are unknown, (somewhat) dynamically switching between performance states depending on the amount of space used on the drive is an interesting idea. I don't know how practical it is for the majority of users (I tend to run most of my drives well above 50% capacity), but innovation should always be encouraged. In this case, it's innovation that's the direct result of having complete access to the controller's firmware - an important step for OCZ in its evolution as a drive maker.

This is a "feature" people who actually put data on their drives won't be able to use. I don't think that's "innovation", as Anandtech put it. I call it a workaround for purposes of review benchmarks.

Truth is, I'm not crapping on the deal - it's a fine price for even a mid-range 128GB drive. But I wouldn't buy it for this reason.

Last edited:

Artista

Jan 7, 2011
I see a lot of stuff going on about these drives. Ok so ocz used to have crap quality.

What about this drive right now?

How does the performance look over 50% filled? (The worst of all drives or just average?)

Status
Not open for further replies.