Question Newegg now selling 12th gen CPUs and motherboards.

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
Intel now only release it performance high wattage 125W line of CPUs. Anybody know when Intel is going to release their 65W line of desktop CPUs?

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Reactions: Harry_Wild

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Why exactly?

It's only a few months, and if the 18 months or so we've been dealing with Covid related delays has taught us, it's not that big of deal. It was near impossible to find many computer components in stock for a very long time.

Be thankful you can usually find things toilet paper and cleaning products in stock. Glass half-full mindset FTW.......

Reactions: geegee83

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
Why exactly?

It's only a few months, and if the 18 months or so we've been dealing with Covid related delays has taught us, it's not that big of deal. It was near impossible to find many computer components in stock for a very long time.

Be thankful you can usually find things toilet paper and cleaning products in stock. Glass half-full mindset FTW.......
Might just switch to AMD 5600X! 65W CPU! Just have to find a motherboard that has the X570 and micro atx 9.61" X 9.61".

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
I'll probably stick with AMD, but it'll be interesting to see the reviews. 12900k is priced just below 5950x, curious how well it's going to against it.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
Yup, early adopters ALWAYS pay the penalty.

Even the CPUs are priced over MSRP.

Gotta pay to pay dearly to be among the first posters on PCPartPicker and computer forums showing that bling, lol.
I'm probably going to skip Z690 and 12th gen - same with AM5 when released. Too many new things at once (new CPU, new PCIe, new DDR5). I'll wait until they mature a little more - not as painful with GPU situation.

Reactions: Ranulf

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Might just switch to AMD 5600X! 65W CPU! Just have to find a motherboard that has the X570 and micro atx 9.61" X 9.61".
I'd wait until official reviews hit, and then decide what you want to do.

For me, I never preorder any new tech (especially before it's actually reviewed from legit sources). It's always overpriced, and there are always bugs/issues that need ironed out in software/driver/OS.

For me, the real value always ls with the prior generation CPUs/boards, as most retailers offer some decent discounts to reduce their inventory. Unless the Intel 12th gen turns out to the immaculate CPU, the 11th gen Intel CPUs should be attractive to many buyers (if they wanted to stay with Intel products). If the 12th gen is great, AMD will likely lower prices as well, so you could jump ship if so desired.

I can never remember if I'm an Intel or AMD shill (it depends on the day of the week around here :p;)), so just buy whatever fits your needs.

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
For me, the real value always ls with the prior generation CPUs/boards, as most retailers offer some decent discounts to reduce their inventory.
Previous generation, 11th generation components discount do not take place until the following year according to cameliers Amazon pricing charts. It begins in January 2022 but the bottom is in April and the price head up again to close to there highs from the previous year. That is looking at 2021 info!

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Previous generation, 11th generation components discount do not take place until the following year according to cameliers Amazon pricing charts. It begins in January 2022 but the bottom is in April and the price head up again to close to there highs from the previous year. That is looking at 2021 info!
Those price trackers don't take into account combo discounts / discount codes at places like Newegg and BH Photo.

Reactions: Ranulf

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Hm, I have to say that I'm not a huge fan of Intel's move here to release the product for sale before outlets are allowed to share their results. The LTT video from today suggested that they've had it for around a week so far, so it's not like there hasn't been enough time. Albeit, I'm considering an upgrade from an i9-9900k, so it's not likely that worthwhile anyway. Although, given the shift in processor design, I am curious to see if it is more worthwhile than I expect!

The other hard part for me is that I'd rather just buy a motherboard with 10Gbps Ethernet built in, which is what my current motherboard (ASRock Z370 Professional Gaming i7) has. Unfortunately, that leaves me with two options from Gigabyte priced at $470 and $900. Given that I have a 10Gbps Intel card lying around, I'd probably just be better off using that, and going with a simpler board. Although, awkwardly enough, the DDR5 is selling out quite quickly too. I was perusing Corsair's store this evening, and at one point, all they had was the 64GB kit left for ~$600, but now that's gone too.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Hm, I have to say that I'm not a huge fan of Intel's move here to release the product for sale before outlets are allowed to share their results. The LTT video from today suggested that they've had it for around a week so far, so it's not like there hasn't been enough time.
Both AMD and Intel do that, and have for a long time now. Anyways, the Newegg listings are preorders, so officially it's not for sale in the traditional sense.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Both AMD and Intel do that, and have for a long time now. Anyways, the Newegg listings are preorders, so officially it's not for sale in the traditional sense.

I guess it depends on whether there will also be sufficient stock on the actual release day. If that's the case, then I don't care too much. Essentially, let those that will buy it regardless... well... buy it regardless. :p

As another side bonus of not upgrading, not all companies release an official PCI-E 4.0 riser for their cases. You can get third-party units that profess to work with your case, but they don't always fit the mounting mechanisms properly. Since I'm still using a PCI-E 3.0 board, I don't really have to worry about it.

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
Looks like the sellers are using the scarcity tactic in this product release! Apple is the ultimate king of using this tactic to not only create bigger demand but to cause urgency in buying ASAP! o_O :eek:

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I'm torn about trying out this new generation or waiting a year. I would love to do a build with the Asus Z690 GLACIAL but it will probably be impossible to find one.