Newegg has 7970s in stock

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Panopticon

Dec 27, 2011
Seems after the initial wave xfx and sapphire got more cards into the hands of retailers then the others. I think we will see a second wave of cards this week because a lot of retailers just began listing their cards tonight. I hope stock is healthy like originally reported and everyone who wants a card can get one through conventional retailers and not get relegated to buying from ebay price gougers.

Larnz

Dec 15, 2010
I have 2 x 6950's but I really want to get away from Xfire / noise of multiple cards. Just not sure if it's quite worth it.. im on the fence! Perhaps I should wait for some non-ref designs to come out... grrrrr decisions, decisions...

Arzachel

Apr 7, 2011
I have 2 x 6950's but I really want to get away from Xfire / noise of multiple cards. Just not sure if it's quite worth it.. im on the fence! Perhaps I should wait for some non-ref designs to come out... grrrrr decisions, decisions...

I'd say wait for a decent non-reference one and clock it as far as it goes. That should meet or beat your 6950 crossfire.

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
it's a great card, but way outta my budget, for that money I can probably build an entire computer!

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Last little check on Egg-business for tonight shows less than 10 Sapphires, and now Diamond is sold out.

Looking like steady demand.

Anxious for mine tomorrow.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Hmm, does the 7970 come with DP to mini-DP adaptors?
I think one of them does. Otherwise you should be running miniDP straight to your monitor anyhow as miniDP is the defacto connector on the source side as far as the VESA is concerned.

Oyster

Nov 20, 2008
I think most of them do, I know the sapphire board does.

I picked up my Sapphire 7970 from Newegg's will call yesterday. Apparently, I was the first one here in Orange County. Didn't get a chance to post earlier because I have been drooling over this thing... was up all night playing Batman AC.

Pretty much all the manufacturers, except Sapphire, are missing a lot of accessories, taking price gouging to the next level. The Sapphire card has like $50 worth of accessories - an HDMI cable, DVI to VGA adapter, mini DP to HDMI dongle, mini DP to SL-DVI active dongle, and HDMI to SL-DVI Adapter. There are also a couple of power adapters.

Don't need to overclock it yet. I have an older processor, but I was getting close to 80-85 fps in Batman AC, maxed out at 1920x1200.

On to Ivy Bridge next...

Last edited:

ddarko

Jun 18, 2006
Pretty much all the manufacturers, except Sapphire, are missing a lot of accessories, taking price gouging to the next level.

Good for Sapphire but I'm not someone who's going to use any of them so I don't really mind that they're not provided by the other vendors. It's nice in a theoretical sense to have the flexibility but really, what am I going to do with a DVI to VGA adapter? Obviously if you do have a setup that uses some of these adapters, the Sapphire gives you good value for money but warranty and customer support are more important to me personally than accessories I'll never use.

BTW, the Gigabyte model is in stock at Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125408

Last edited:

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
I picked up my Sapphire 7970 from Newegg's will call yesterday. Apparently, I was the first one here in Orange County. Didn't get a chance to post earlier because I have been drooling over this thing... was up all night playing Batman AC.

Pretty much all the manufacturers, except Sapphire, are missing a lot of accessories, taking price gouging to the next level. The Sapphire card has like $50 worth of accessories - an HDMI cable, DVI to VGA adapter, mini DP to HDMI dongle, mini DP to SL-DVI active dongle, and HDMI to SL-DVI Adapter. There are also a couple of power adapters.

Don't need to overclock it yet. I have an older processor, but I was getting close to 80-85 fps in Batman AC, maxed out at 1920x1200.

On to Ivy Bridge next...

does it come with a mini-DP to DP adapter?

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
For those who purchased from less-generous AIBs, there's always monoprice.com for your cabling/adapter needs. They have a mini-DP to DVI cable:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10246#1024604

I actually ordered one not realizing the Sapphire had the adapter included. The monoprice cables are 1.1 spec. I cannot find anyone that has single 1.2 spec cables. I've found bulk vendors and that is it. Not that it really matters since it's all backwards compatible, but I do like to future proof when I can.