Newbie with E6600 needing help on first steps!

duckdown

Jan 14, 2005
Hi all!

New C2D overclocker here wanting to know the FIRST step I should do tonight, so I can prime95 it while I sleep in an hour or two... IMMEDIATE advice/suggestions would be great!!! thanks :)

My FULL setup is:
SCREENSHOT

E6600/stock cooling
GigaByte 965P-DS3 Motherboard
G.Skill Extreme F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ 2GB PC2-6400 DDR2 Kit .. 4x1gb, http://www.gskill.com/en/f2-6400cl5d-nq.html h 5-5-5-15 right now, stock
eVGA 8600GTS Video Card
2x500GB in RAID0

I have been trying to do some reading on my own but still need help pulling the trigger for the FIRST steps on the overclock:( As a good first manual adjustment can someone tell me what they would reccomend I do? So I can set it and then prime95 the hell out of it overnight... My goal is not to achieve the worlds craziest overclock but I wouldn't mind an extra little bit.. I'm willing to listen and learn and definitely appreciate the advice!

Thanks so much for reading & your advice! I hope to try tonight

Cheers!

kenny0813

Jul 4, 2007
If you just wanna do some small overlcocking, then leave everything in the BIOS on manual except for the CPU Frequency

Just change the fsb from 266 to whatever you want.

I'm only saying this because I did that already myself lol. I went in slow increments of 11-12 increases in my fsb at a time, so i went from 2.4ghz to 2.5, 2.6. . . and now i'm at 2.8 (gonna head up to 3.0 soon)

If you wanna go do some hardcore OC-ing, then read around the forum for a more detailed tutorial, otherwise, what i said should get you an easy small oc in your cpu

and P.S. dont try and go higher than 3.0ghz on stock cooling; i dont think it'll be stable at speeds higher than 3.0

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004
IMO your first step should be to find out your max on stock vcore

set vcore manually to 1.35v
set your mem ratio to 2.0 1:1 divider
set FSB to 300

that should boot with no problems at 2.7ghz, test for stability by running TAT for 10-15 minutes on both cores. If that passes no problem then up the FSB to 310 and run TAT again for 10-15min. Rinse and repeat until TAT produces errors or your temps get too high (over 70c)

Once TAT gives errors or your temps go over 70c, back down to your last settings and run orthos overnight.