Newbie Video Capture Question....

Mitzi

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2001
I haven't asked a stupid question in a while :) so...

I have a MSI GeForce4 4600.

Information off the MSI specification page...

Video Output Function
TV-out (S-Video connector)
Video-in
DVI Connector

I am currently using an ancient Matrox Mystique Rainbow Runner PCI card to capture video from my camcorder via S-Video connector. Can I use the S-Video port on the GeForce4 to capture video? The Matrox uses its own proprietry (sp??) software for capture, what capture software would I need for the GeForce - My GF4 card was OEM so I didn't get the software bundle.

Cheers!

joinT

Lifer
Jan 19, 2001
K, you can only use the "Video In" port on your card. You don't specify if it's S-Video or Composite in, but I'm assuming composite since it has S-Video out. This means you need to use the Composite Video in. You can't just use the S-Video port as an in port if it's an out port.

As for software, well you could try TMPGEnc, it's free.

Mitzi

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: joinT
K, you can only use the "Video In" port on your card. You don't specify if it's S-Video or Composite in, but I'm assuming composite since it has S-Video out. This means you need to use the Composite Video in. You can't just use the S-Video port as an in port if it's an out port.

As for software, well you could try TMPGEnc, it's free.

Whoo! Quick reply. Cheers.

I've just found
this link which says...

The MSI G4Ti4600-VTD is fitted with a standard VGA monitor connector, DVI & mini-DIN connector that splits down to an RCA in/out conector and an S-Video in/out connector for VIVO so you can use the card for video capture.

The MSI G4Ti4600-VTD package includes an S-Video cable and 9-pin to 4 port Video connector.

Sorry, you'll have to forgive my ignorance, the names of these connectors don't mean much to me :eek:. So... I have a camcorder, it has a S-Video out port as well as red, white and yellow connections (composite??) - I usually connect these red, white and yellow ports up to a SCART adaptor-thingie (showing my expertise again, ain't I?) cable which is connected to the back of my TV.

Can I connect a S-Video cable from the camcorder to the S-Video port on my GeForce???

I have used TMPGEnc to encode my Matrox created AVI files to produce VCDs. I wasn't aware it can do video capture too.

Cheers!