Newbie Questions

chronos55

Oct 9, 2009
hi everyone,just signed up today and looking for some info.i have just built a system with an i7-920 DO processor and an asus P6T-SE motherboard.using kingston 1600mhz memory 8-8-8-20 timing and a corsair hx520 power supply all in an antec 900 case.temps at 40 degrees at idle and 67 degrees after 2 hrs on everest test.now when i try to overclock it all goes to sh*t.i have set the memory to xmp setting-that works ok,however when i change bclock ect the memory timings change to 9-9-9-24.tried the asus turbo and turbo evo..no joy.has anyone any initial figures i can put in to get me started.i do not want to do any damage with everything being brand new.sorry for being a bit long winded.thanks in advance

Billb2

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2005
youcouldtryreadingsomestickiesonsomeoftheoverclockingforums.

Generally, when doing "automatic" overclocking, when you speed up the memory, the latencies are raised automatically.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
shhhhh

donttellhimthathecouldofsolvehisownquestionsfasterwithgoogle.

ROFL....

U need to go into bios and manually set your timings.

Which is why bill says u should go check out a guide on how to overclock i7;s.

It will tell you everything u need to go to get started.
The more complicated stuff, i dont recommend you tinkering with, until you learned the basics.

betasub

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2006
Originally posted by: chronos55
i do not want to do any damage with everything being brand new.

It's unlikely anyone's going to suggest you damage it, even if it's old.

i7 overclock guide

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
Originally posted by: betasub
Originally posted by: chronos55
i do not want to do any damage with everything being brand new.

It's unlikely anyone's going to suggest you damage it, even if it's old.

i7 overclock guide

Since i7's have a integrated memory controller, the voltage needs to be upped a little bit on the cpu for maximum performance from RAM. 1.7 Volts is what most people start at.

/sarcasm
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=overclocking+i7+guide&l=1

chronos55

Oct 9, 2009
Sorry for delay in replying,i was working at weekend.thanks everyone for the rather sarcastic nature of replies,however i expected this because of the wording of my original question.i have read the i7 overclocking guide before and used the nehalem calculator.i was hoping for some results without cranking up core voltage and then having to eradicate extra heat.i will continue tinkering and reading posts on forum.some good replies though even the ones with the joiny up writing.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
When determining your maximum overclock, relax the timings of the ram and lower than CPU:Ram ratio. Only after you have finalized your cpu overclock and voltages, should you worry about your memory. There is little to no performance difference between DDR3-1333 and DDR3-2000 on the Core i7 platform. So don't worry about bandwidth.