Newbie o/c Core i7

NoM8s

Feb 20, 2009
Hi
This is my first post so please go easy on me. I'm a 57 year old noob overclocker.
I have just built my first rig and have decided to overclock it, after reading lots of forums. I have got a stable overclock of 3.6GHz on i7 920, ran prime95 for two hours and the temps were as follows(max according to core temp and RealTemp)
Core #0 72
Core #1 70
Core #2 70
Core #3 68
The cooling is air, when playing COD4 or 5 online for a couple of hours the temps max out at 58.
Are these temps ok, according to the sages of this forum?
Thanks in advance

pm

Elite Member Mobile Devices
Jan 25, 2000
Out of curiousity - what did you set the voltages to the core and memory? I just got my i7 working but haven't tried to overclock it.

I'm not much of an overclocker, so I'll leave the temps question for other experts.

PCTC2

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2007
Those temps are fine. Since you aren't going to be doing distributed computing (are you?), you won't see prime95 temperatures. Seeing 58C on everyday usage is perfectly fine. If you want more overhead, you can just pick up a tower cooler if you feel the need, but if that's fine for you, then it's A-OKAY.

NoM8s

Feb 20, 2009
Originally posted by: pm
Out of curiousity - what did you set the voltages to the core and memory? I just got my i7 working but haven't tried to overclock it.

I'm not much of an overclocker, so I'll leave the temps question for other experts.

In the bios just changed the CPU Ratio Setting to 20 and the BCLK(Base clock setting) to 180, and left everything else on Auto.... bit of an anti-climax really...I was expecting loads of grief....hopefully that will come in the future as I get more adventurous!!!!

And thanks for the swift replies too.

PCTC2

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2007
You might want to pull your vCore and QPI off of auto. Boards have a notorious habit of overvolting on Auto. Try vCore @ 1.275-1.3 and QPI @ either default (the lowest value) or a small bump of voltage. You might also want to set the PLL voltage at a slight bump over the 1.8v default.

NoM8s

Feb 20, 2009
Originally posted by: PCTC2
You might want to pull your vCore and QPI off of auto. Boards have a notorious habit of overvolting on Auto. Try vCore @ 1.275-1.3 and QPI @ either default (the lowest value) or a small bump of voltage. You might also want to set the PLL voltage at a slight bump over the 1.8v default.

I'll check the voltages and let you know what they are, It'll be interesting to see if the P6T is guilty of the same as other boards i.e. upping the voltage too much.

NoM8s

Feb 20, 2009
I've checked the voltages with the supplied software program TurboV, and they correspond with the voltages in the bios, which are

V.Core 1.27500V
QPI 1.2125V
PLL 1.8V

And as I said earlier these are the voltages that the Auto setting produces, so it looks like they can remain set at these values, do you agree? Or would you still increase the PLL voltage a little?
Bye the way this forum is the best I've visited, theres no talking down to members like myself who are learning the "DARK ART". I really feel that I have no problem with asking really stupid questions in the future....so look out!!!!

PCTC2

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2007
Welcome to Anandtech, BTW. :p
Yeah. If your computer is stable, those voltages are fine. Just keep them where they are.