Gigabyte P965-DQ6
Intel C2D E4300
Stock HSF
2GB Corsair XMS2 (4-4-4-12)
Saphire X1950XT

Settings:
FSB: 330 (2970MHz clock speed)
Multiplier: 2.00
Memory: 4-4-4-12 (other settings on Auto)
DDR2 Overvoltage: +0.300V
CPU Voltage: 1.37500

I ran Prime95 & Memtest 86 and Orthos without a problem. Temps (SpeedFan - 32 idle/53 load) I use Speedfan exclusively as it matches the numbers from my Bios. TAT is 52C & Coretemp is 49C at idle. (BTW speedfan fan speeds are way off: 675000 RPM for fans 1 & 3 and 1350000 for fan 2 - anybody have any ideas why?)

I bumped FSB to 333 without changing any other numbers and Orthos gives errors in under 2 minutes. Although everything seems to work fine and windows boots normally.

So the question is: where do I go from here? What do I change to gain stability at this speed?

Thanks for your help!

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004
Whats your memory ratio/speed ?

Are you using the stock HSF?

What are your temps under orthos load?

Your idle temps are pretty high, I'm guessing your using the stock HSF. Your load temps are probably in the high 60's or worse. Your probably at the limit of stock cooling, if you want to go higher get a good HSF and increase the vcore

Vlip

Mar 19, 2007
Thanks for the reply. I stated in my post, the ratio or multiplier is 2.oo (i.e. 1:1) and I am using the stock HSF for now. My load temp (Orthos) is 53C according to speedfan. I'm using the stock HSF because of an article in Anandtech where they ran an E6300 to 3.2 GHz on a stock HSF. Since my temp under load seems to be only 53C, I did not think this would be the issue.

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
Seems that TAT is more accurate, and that Speedfan is assuming an 85C tjunction instead of 100C. What are your load temps on TAT, seems they would be close to 68-70C like GuitarDaddy said, so you are probably at your limit.

Mgz

Sep 21, 2004
vlip, don't use speedfan at all because it only supports up to ITE8717F while the DS3/DQ6, etc uses ITE 8718F . It freaks me out when trustworthy speedfan displays my +12V as +16.07V :eek: then i learn that it didn't support the 8718F yet..phew...
stick with coretemp for now I guess.

<-- long time reader/lurker, first time poster :)

/edit
I got an E4300 today to replace my PenD 915 :), I want to replace the noisy stock hsf of the 915 soo bad,lol :D

Vlip

Mar 19, 2007
Thanks for the responses!
If TAT is "more accurate" then why does it not match the BIOS temp? I was told by Gigabyte that I should go by the temps given in the BIOS but that means I can't monitor temp while running Orthos or Prime95. Rebooting and going into the BIOS every time you want to know your cpu temp is out of the question.

Either way, I will try a new HSF but I am thinking of going with the Sythe Ninja because others (Thermalright Ultra 120, Tuniq tower) require mounting hardware on the backside of the Mobo. My DQ6 has that "Crazy Cool" heat sink on the back that prevents me from using these. Or am I wrong about that?

Jan 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Vlip
Thanks for the responses!
If TAT is "more accurate" then why does it not match the BIOS temp? I was told by Gigabyte that I should go by the temps given in the BIOS but that means I can't monitor temp while running Orthos or Prime95. Rebooting and going into the BIOS every time you want to know your cpu temp is out of the question.

Either way, I will try a new HSF but I am thinking of going with the Sythe Ninja because others (Thermalright Ultra 120, Tuniq tower) require mounting hardware on the backside of the Mobo. My DQ6 has that "Crazy Cool" heat sink on the back that prevents me from using these. Or am I wrong about that?

Speedfan and the bios are reporting temps based on the Tcase value, not Tjunction. What you need to do is add 12-15C to your temps that are reported in your bios/Speedfan or use TAT or CoreTemp 0.95 or higher, as others have stated. My bios does the same thing as yours. I use CoreTemp to manage all my o/c tests.

stevty2889

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2003
Coretemp/TAT don't read the same sensors as bios/speedfan. They are reading the digital sensors that are on the die themselves(Tjunction), while bios/speedfan read the Tcase sensor, which is at the center of the IHS. TAT/Coretemp are reading at the hot spots of each die, rather than just one centralized location.

Vlip

Mar 19, 2007
Ok, I understand now about the different temperature software monitoring tools. I'd like to now restate my original question. What do I need to tweak to get stability out of my system? I ran Orthos again this time with TAT and it quit with errors after 2 minutes, 11 seconds but temp was only 67C. I could be wrong but this does not sound like I've hit my overclock limit on the CPU due to heat.
Also, can someone confirm my suspicion that I cannot use a Thermalright Ultra 120 or Tuniq Tower because of the "Crazy Cool" (Gigabyte's name for it) heatsink on the underside of my P965-DQ6? And, is the Scythe Ninja a good alternative? I have also considered getting the Silenx Ixtrema 120 that I saw in a review with the Sycthe Ninja that seemed to do even better than the Tuniq tower.

Thanks for all the help!

Vlip

Vlip

Mar 19, 2007
What? Did everybody lose interest all of a sudden? Is 67C reported by TAT too hot? Have I reached my limit? If not, should I increase CPU voltage or MCH?

Thanks!
Vlip