Newbie Help Setting Up External Ethernet DSL Modem on XP

vcarpio2

Feb 10, 2002
I currently have an internal DSL modem supplied by my ISP (Citlink.net). I am trying to replace it with the:

• Speedstream 5260 ADSL Ethernet Modem (external)

so I can install a router later. I cannot get it to work in WinXP. All front-panel lights on the modem turn solid green so it looks like there's nothing wrong with the modem or phone line. I configured my connection in Win XP using the PPPOE option that requires a login name and password. However, when I try to connect to it and type in my password, the modem lights blink a couple of times but eventually WinXP will display the message saying something like the remote host is not responding.

Is my ISP preventing me from using a modem that they did not supply? I called them asking for the "Host Name" or "Service Name" to use, and said try "citlink.net" and added they would not support my modem because I did not purchase it from them. Thanks.

vcarpio2

Feb 10, 2002
I thought installation was a snap. (It was with the Speedstream USB 4060.)

Are there a couple of gotchas with external DSL ethernet modems? Are there websites that have tutorials on installation? Thanks.

bozo1

Diamond Member
May 21, 2001
Are you sure the one you purchased is compatible with your ISP's DSL? There are different flavors of DSL and your hardware has to support the same. (CAP or DMT in most cases)

Kazi

Jun 7, 2001
*whoops hit enter when i put my login info in (DoH!)*

Ok, i have the same modem you have. I didnt have any trouble with it but im also using a router. It looks like your ISP is blocking you from connecting or you have some software conflict problems. You could always call them and ask their *opinion* on which external ethernet modem to buy or that is compadible with your internet service. If your a gamer, dont go USB because it adds 50-100 ms to your ping. I went from a external USB 4060 to a external 5260 ethernet and dropped my latency down by 100 ms :Q. Good luck, also check their site.. I found the settings for mine on SWBells page.

-Kazi

vcarpio2

Feb 10, 2002
Thanks for all the input. Didn't know about DMT and stuff before. I'd look into vendor specs and make comparisons. If I can't get it to work because of incompatibilities, I'd sell it on e*ay and bid on another brand until I get one that's compatible.

Kazi, your experience looks promising because I can connect with the 4060, too. If you can connect with the 5260, then maybe I should be able to, too. I disabled Norton Internet Security but maybe I need to totally uninstall it. I'll try again tomorrow. Thanks again!

Kazi

Jun 7, 2001
I got it to work with the router and without it so Im betting you will get it to work :)