newb question regarding basic website shopping cart functionality with PHP

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Turbonium, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Turbonium

Turbonium Golden Member

Just as a start to learning PHP, I want to add basic shopping cart functionality for a fake online store. I'm assuming I would be using MySQL and PHP to do this, correct?

Is this a difficult first project in terms of coding it from scratch? I feel it's probably on the easy end if anything.

2. Turbonium

Turbonium Golden Member

- deleted: started new thread instead -

#2 Turbonium, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  3. Cerb

Cerb Elite Member

Assuming you're not worried about having any meaningful security--IE, just as a proof of concept learning project--you should be good to go. PHP and MySQL would be fine., working from scratch. For anything to actually use, I'd take advantage of something others have worked on for some time, that's been proven by handling actual people's money.

4. Turbonium

Turbonium Golden Member

Yea, it's just for a proof of concept. I'm the type of learner who needs to set projects/goals to be able to learn something. Otherwise, I have nothing to work towards and I flounder and get nothing done.

I figure a shopping cart for a fake online store I've already made is a good place to start with PHP.

5. Acrisc

Acrisc Junior Member

in my experience, often starting a project from scratch is much easier than redoing a ready-made code. So you can try some basic open source shopping cart editions as the starting point.

#5 Acrisc, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013