Newb question: Does higher performance RAM matter if not OCing?

CClyph

Dec 20, 2001
I was configuring a laptop earlier, and I noticed the option to add another $25 and upgrade the RAM to "ultra low latency." It didn't increase the amount of RAM, just the speed. Would there be any performance gains at all, if I know I will never overclock the laptop?

mrzed

Jan 29, 2001
It will offer a small performance advantage, how noticable it will be is debatable. For a laptop, I wouldn't bother.

CClyph

Dec 20, 2001
I was under the impression that the RAM runs on a certain bus speed determined by the motherboard. As long as the RAM is capable of being clocked at that speed, then it is adequate for the system right? Putting anything faster in would just be overkill because you aren't increasing the bus speed to take advantage of it right? Or does the capability to run faster than the current bus speed cut down on errors?

RandySavage

Mar 16, 2003
yes, you can decrease the latency... improving performance

overclocking the ram isnt the only way to make it faster.

but for the most part, I think your intuition is correct... if you have a 800fsb processor/chipset... and you aren't overclocking... get pc3200.

pspada

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002
While a lower CAS latency increases performance, it is unlikely to help on a laptop. There are so many other performance killing compromises built into laptops that spending the extra money for memory that is above spec would be a waste.

Doh!

Platinum Member
Jan 21, 2000
For a laptop, spending the extra $25 for a faster HD (5400rpm vs. 4200rpm) will improve performance more than getting a lower latency RAM.

xDeLiRiOuSx

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 1999
I second the harddrive. However, 5400 RPM harddrives are reported to die within about a year's worth of use :/ is that true/

Thanks
David

CClyph

Dec 20, 2001
Originally posted by: xDeLiRiOuSx
I second the harddrive. However, 5400 RPM harddrives are reported to die within about a year's worth of use :/ is that true/

Thanks
David

Wow, I hope not. I was really set on getting one of those 40 GB IBM/Hitachi GNX drives. With 5400 rpm and 8 MB cache, they reportedly match alot of desktop 7200 RPMs in benchmarks. BTW, I'm aiming to get a desktop replacement laptop along the lines of Clevo (resellers in the US include Alienware, Hypersonic, and Sager). They use desktop processors. Anyway, have people really reported these 5400 rpm drives dying?

pspada

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002
I'm not sure about 2.5 5400 hdds dying within a year, but for certain they consume more power (so your battery dies faster), and generate a good deal more heat. This could indeed lead to a shorter lifespan, but how much effect I don't have enough data to base any estimate on.