Newb on overclocking!!

Shotalxxx

Aug 2, 2003
HI
brand new to the overcloking proceedure, i have a fair idea on what needs to be done, increasing whatever option in the BIOS setup.
But the probelm is i cant access the FSB multiplicator which is bottom of my first setup screen.

the section of information can not be highlighted as you would do selecting any other option in the BIOS setup!
It is like a different text colour to the rest of the text on the screen....

BIOS VERSION 1.11 (11/05/01)
CPU AMD ATHLON XP PROCESSOR
FSB/MULTIPLICATOR 133*10.5
CACHE 256K
SDRAM SLOT 0 NONE
SDRAM SLOT 1 256 (DDR266MHZ)

how do i access it and also has my PC good potential to increase its overall performance

Shotalxxx

Aug 2, 2003
1600+, might sound sound such a stupid question, how do i find out what motherboard i have????

Slammy1

Platinum Member
Apr 8, 2003
Download the program CPU-Z linked in the sticky. It should help quite a bit with component ID and default settings.

phpdog

Jun 26, 2003
First off ,

Open your computer case and have a look at the mother board for things like :-

Color = somtimes helps to know whats color as some Manufacturer's use there tradmark PCB colors.
Manufacturer = Look for the name of the board it should say it somewhere mabye centre or next to CPU or RAM.
Model = see it theres a model number somewhere on the board.

Shotalxxx

Aug 2, 2003
I downloaded the CPU-Z program, and the info i got form the mainboard tab.....

MANUFACTURER MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD
MODEL MS-6382
CHIPSET VIA KT266/333 REV 0
SOUTHBRIDGE VIA VT8233
SENSOR Winbond W83627HF

I really did'nt want to mess with opening the computer up. Im good with the software part of PC's, but hardware (apart from installing printers,scanners etc....) is a blindspot...

I hope this helps you, to help me :)

Tetsuo316

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2000
I browsed MSI's website and came up with this as your board. I went mainly by the southbridge chipset as the newer kt266a motherboards had the newer vt8235 southbridge.

i'm not sure how well the kt266 overclocks, but anand had some lovely things to say about the board when it was released back in april of '01.
rolleye.gif

i hope that msi really did fix the issues it had with the board and has a stable bios for you.

i would really recommend reading your manual first as we all don't have experience with your motherboard. it may be downloaded here. it will detail to you how to access your bios and any overclocking options it may have.

of course, this is all based on my deduction that the k7t266 pro is your motherboard. i could be wrong. :p your bootup screen should tell you. i'm pretty sure that it is the right one, but someone else might come along and confirm.

good luck

:)

Shotalxxx

Aug 2, 2003
Okay a slight overload in information.....
thanks all the same, ive read all the links you have posted and also downloaded the manual. But i mean what do i do.
What do i do now!!!
Is all true about the VIA KT266 being a poor performer, and if it does that means little to me what do i know. Basically you need to do a step by step guide.
What should i do first, bother updating the BIOS version, EVEN solder an already present resistor to where it should be :confused:
And all i wanted to do is see if i could learn how to overclock my computer!!!!
Pleasa one step ata time....whats first on the 2dolist.

Dack76

Jan 2, 2003
If ya don't want to open your system don't overclock it. At the least your going to have to reset your bios a few times. And a new heatsink is a must with any of the latest computer overclocks.

Dufrane

May 7, 2002
If you have a 1600+, i believe that it is a palamino core. They do not overclock to well. Anyway try and increase the fsb

Tetsuo316

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2000
If you have a 1600+, i believe that it is a palamino core. They do not overclock to well.

not necessarily true. my 1600+ hits 2000+ speeds. that might not be as great as a new barton 2500+, but it's not too shabby either.

now, Shotalxxx, about overclocking... you will have to open your case. you just will. trust me, it's not that scary. if i had never opened my case i wouldn't know any of the stuff i know now. in fact, the original reason i opened my first computer was to overclock it. just opo your case open to see what everything looks like and see where everything goes. it's informative.

now, about that article. it was written two years ago and msi i'm sure has addressed many problems the original board or bios may have had. is your computer new to you or have you had it for a while? if you've had it for a while i'm sure you would have run into some problems by now if they were to happen at all.

according to the manual, you should have a program called fuzzy logic on the cd that came with your motherboard. this program allows you to overclock your *system while in windows. i've never used this program, but use it in good faith i suppose. apparently you may suggest a fsb speed to the program and upon reboot the computer will set itself to that speed. this method would allow you to overclock the system without messing with the bios or opening your system.

the tried and true method is through the bios. access the bios by hitting the [delete] key when the post screen instructs you to.

*select Hardware Monitor Setup. cpu fsb clock should be 133 already as you have a 1600+ cpu.

*in the field for cpu fsb/pci overclocking, you should be able to select or enter a number up to 164. of course this can all be found on page 26 of the third .pdf
document that you downloaded and read. ;)

*keep the cpu ratio on auto. if you're unable to overclock very high, you might add a little juice by selecting a higher vcore level in the next field down. the defauilt for the 1600+ palomino is 1.75v, but be careful - adding more electricity adds to the heat. you should keep an eye on how hot the chip is getting. this can be done by booting into windows and doing you normal surfing, gaming etc for ten minutes or so and then rebooting and entering the bios again, selecting Hardware Monitor Setup and check the temperature. if your cpu is 50 degrees celsius or less than it's ok. that fuzzy logic program should also have a temperature reading.

*as you increase fsb, the speed of your ram increases as well. it may need a little more juice to add to the stability of your system and that can be done in the ddr voltage field. again - electricity adds heat so be careful.

that should do it. if at any point when you're trying to overclock the system refuses to power up, you've set the settings to aggressively and you'll have to reset the cmos. don't panic. this happens. it's not a big deal. we've all had to do it. this however is when you'll need to open your computer and switch a jumper the location of which is on page 28 of the second .pdf document in the manual. simply turn off your system. unplug it from the wall. find the cmos jumper (it's labelled) and move the jumper off of pins 1-2 and put it back on 2-3. leave it there for ten seconds then movie it back to 1-2. plug your system back in and turn it on and you should be back up and running. this clears any custom settings you've made in the bios so you'll have to go back in there again and reselect whatever you want.

that's about all i've got to say. most everything was in the manual. if what i've said freaks you out, than i'd recommend not overclocking. if you're afraid to get your hands dirty, then this isn't for you. if you still want to then great. read those anandtech articles on overclocking. they're instructive. post any more questions here.

i'm off to vegas so someone else has to take over for me.

cheers! :)

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
If you are afraid to open your case, I wouldn't try overclocking yet. You need to read and get educated first. Read those articles on those links and also read some newb overclocking articles at Overclockers.com.

Learn about your motherboard and how to edit your BIOS and clear CMOS. Overclocking is easy but it's an art and requires some knowledge of computer hardware. Trial and error. Don't be afraid to get your hand dirty.

Shotalxxx

Aug 2, 2003
thanks for the feedback guys. I really, really apreciate it.
I just wish it was as simple as everyone says it is....
but just as i thought its turned out to be a big drag, but...........im still going to look into it more, im going to open my computer up sometime this week, have a nose around, you know. Visit the websites posted, and get to grips with the hardware part of the computer. I was hoping to add more ramm to the thing and maybe i can after i have a better understanding of the insides of the machine.
So thanks alot guys youve really helped alot, im just glad i did'nt do anything to hasty or silly b4 knowing what was going on.