How come when anybody starts a serious topic that will cause a good debate, people get mad at them?

FrogDog

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2000
I don't get it. Why is doing that such a bad thing? If you don't like it, don't go in the thread! I mean really, what exactly would this forum be if it was all just about CS, cars and "OMG, My member's golden!"

So let people debate on religion, and other intersting topics...I don't see the harm in it.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Damnit, you know better than to ask this. I'm really p!ssed now. :| :| :|

:p

I don't think people get angry about the question, they get angry at some of the responses. In addition, the religion and abortion issue has been beaten to death over and over.

Fearlss1

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2000
I think mostly if you look at the topics one very similar or one in the same were just discussed the days or two before..
ie.. Do you believe in Evoultion??? topic one on 2/1/01
How do you feel about Evolution taught in Schools??? Topic two on 2/5/01
Theses are just examples and I am at work so I wanted to answer anything I could hence that I am sooo bored :) :p

Noriaki

Lifer
Jun 3, 2000
There is no way to "debate" Religion really...in order to have a debate you have to discuss and argue and counter each other. Religion is all about what someone believes, and alot of times it's very hard to put that into words, and even if you do, people of conflicting beliefs won't accept your beliefs as a rational argument. So it ends up as a flame war...human nature I think...besides, I think if you read those religious threads most people are pretty reasonable, it's just a few that flare up and make it get rather ugly.

FrogDog

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2000
Guys, I'm not talking about the people that get angry during the debate. I'm talking about the ones who say "Way to start a flame war, dingus!" "Do you know what you're starting? Take it somewhere else!".

Noriaki

Lifer
Jun 3, 2000
Oh damn...and here I was trying to be profound well you sure f***ed that up for me ;) hehheeh j/k

I see what you're asking now. Probably because most of them know how threads like that will turn out. I know how they will turn out and try to stay away from them...not that I dislike a serious conversation but there are too many infantiles running around that turn them all into flame wars.

JW310

Golden Member
Oct 30, 1999
How come when most threads get archived after 90 days, threads such as this don't?

JW

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
NART! oh wait, this isnt another religion thread!

well, reason why i added my 2 cents was i would like to add posts to my post count.

basically looking to become a lifer before the mid of this year.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
I like threads that stir up debate, especially those that ask truly ambiguous cultural questions like "is it wrong to eat dogs, and if so, why" and "why is incest wrong" (loved that thread!) I think everyone views the world through their own versions of rose-colored glasses, and people get upset when someone comes along and tries to shatter them.

alm4rr

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
Originally posted by: FrogDog
I don't get it. Why is doing that such a bad thing? If you don't like it, don't go in the thread! I mean really, what exactly would this forum be if it was all just about CS, cars and "OMG, My member's golden!"

So let people debate on religion, and other intersting topics...I don't see the harm in it.

B/c those conversations should be taken to News and Politics where thick headed people can chat themselved blue in the face with polarizing discussions and accomplish nothing

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Originally posted by: alm4rr

B/c those conversations should be taken to News and Politics where thick headed people can chat themselved blue in the face with polarizing discussions and accomplish nothing

If you gentlemen would kindly check the dates of the OP... ;)

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

Unlike the people on OT who couldnt find the Pacific Ocean on a map of Hawaii and environs :p

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Egads, this thread is almost 3 years old?! I wonder if anyone has subscribed to it who'll get a completely unexpected email..

alm4rr

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
the way I see it is if it's on the first page of OT, it's subject to a reply!

:D

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
the way I see it is if it's on the first page of OT, it's subject to a reply!

:D

LOL alm4rr :)

WTH are we talking about again? ;)