new yorkers: best movie theatre in nyc area?

ZippyDan

Platinum Member
Sep 28, 2001
i "recently" moved to NY area from ATL:

im wondering what is the best movie theatre (and the best screen in that theatre) in the NY area?

my most important considerations are: Screen Size (and quality), Sound (quality and volume), THX or EX sound is a plus

i also wonder what is the best imax movie theatre in NY? (Size and Overall quality most important)

---------------

here's some background on my experiences:

i had my favorite theatres in ATL where id go to see movies i actually cared about:

the United Artists (now regal i think) at Perimeter Pointe used to be great until they dropped THX

the Regal Hollywood 24 (only theatre in ATL with EX Dolby Digital) at 285 and 85 took over as my favorite "normal" movie theatre. Screens 11 and 12 specifically (as i remember) nice big screen, nice seats, stadium seating (dont really care about stadium seating actually :p), and the sound was great. played at just the right volume, not to loud, not to low. crisp and clear and bone rattling when it needed to be

the Regal IMAX at the Georgia Mall at 85 and 20 was my theatre of choice,,, for the IMAX screen of course, the rest was crap. Most IMAX theatres only show REAL IMAX movies (movies specifically made/intended for imax). Which is fine, but its a very limited selection. This theatre showed basically any movie it wanted. Besides Star Wars Episode II and Matrix Reloaded which i think were intended for imax, I also saw Fellowship of the Ring, Two Towers, Return of the King, Scorpion King, Spiderman 1, and some others there. Most people never got the chance to see those on imax. Nothing beats the size of the IMAX picture (and this particular theatre was like a 10 story screen), and the IMAX sound blows away anything else. not even EX comes close to its power and clarity

------------------

since moving to NY:

i live near the Palisades mall. The Lowes theatre there is only above average, and the imax theatre has one of the tiniest imax screens ive seen, although its still better than a normal theatre.

the Lowes theatre and IMAX at 68th and broadway seems to have a pretty good imax, probably nearly on par with the one at Georgia Mall. but it seems they only play movies that are supposed to be on imax. i didnt try their normal screens

i THINK i found an IMAX that plays more than just designed-for-imax movies at a Lowes in New Rochelle. but i havent had a chance to actually try it out. anyone?

the one screen Lowes at Times square has a very impressive gigantic auditorium. the sound was really nice too. but the screen itself wasnt big enough to impress me compared to the seating capacity.

the Lowes at Union square (i think it was a Lowes, behind the virgin records), had another impressive auditorium, but as i said, stadium seating does nothing for me, and i dont remember the sound or screen being anything more than above average. maybe if i had sat on the ground level instead of the balcony. the fact that they have two DLP screens is nice, but i didnt get to experience them, and the screens seemed small :(

Lowes at the WTC mall (i think it was Lowes... again), was completely unimpressive. Same with some random Lowes near Brooklyn Heights on court street.

anyway, the conclusion is that there are way too many theatres in NYC area to try them all, so im looking for a recommendation/consensus on what the best "normal" screen is and what the best imax screen is

thanks

~Zippy!

Legendary

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2002
Hey do you live in Rockland County? I live there and I go to school in NYC so I would be able to help you.
Loews 34th St. is one of the best theaters I've been to. So is Loews 42nd in my opinion, but you didn't like that, so I wonder, what makes a theater good for you?

Edit: Also, the theater in Union Sq. is not loews, but UA.
2nd edit: Also in the Loews in the Palisades Center, Theater 10 is the best theater there, by FAR. You really have to go to that one at least once to enjoy that theater. It's usually showing the big blockbuster movies.

ZippyDan

Platinum Member
Sep 28, 2001
no, im willing to drive an hour or so to watch a good movie at the best theatre. theres only a few movies per year that qualify. so thats basically anywhere in the greater NYC area, any borough, western LI, jersey, and slightly upstate NY :p

thanks for the tips legendary. yes i live in Rockland cty. i posted my most important considerations in the original post, at the top :p and United Artists = Lowes = Regal (as far as company), but thx for the correction. ill try screen 10 at the palisades. when naming theatres, screens are very important. even the best of multiplexes has only 1 or 2 of the best screens and has many sucky ones.

"my most important considerations are: Screen Size (and quality), Sound (quality and volume), THX or EX sound is a plus"

~Zippy!

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
The National Amusements Theatre in Edgewater, NJ (its much closer than Palisades Center) is nice. It has very good stadium seats and one DLP theatre. Its only about a 15 min drive from midtown and right across the water from about 110 street.

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
I also forgot to mention the Ziegfield in midtown.

That's an impressive theatre. Also the site of one of the best Triumph videos. ;)

ZippyDan

Platinum Member
Sep 28, 2001
ive heard of the ziegfield from many years back as a famous ny theatre. in fact, i knew there was a theatre in new york that started with a z that i wanted to try, but i couldnt remember the name. thanks for the tips guys

i tried screen 10 at the palisades today, saw the incredibles and the ep3 trailer (not on screen 10). the movie was great and the trailer was great, but the screen/sound itself was only above average. i need to find the best :)

omg ppl sure misspell this theatre. ive seen ziegfield here and zeigfeld on the google, but it seems google concludes it is the ziegfeld

~Zippy!