New York Schools May Close For Muslim Holidays

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 27, 2012
So you should have no problem celebrating these Muslim holidays. Since you're so tolerant and respectful, and all.

And how many of them would celebrate Christmas? Christmas is different since people of all religions can celebrate it. I love the stupidity from you and your ilk. When Christians are forcing their religion onto others you idiots are angry but when it's Muslims then it's alright. Gotta love the double standards.

Feb 6, 2007
And how many of them would celebrate Christmas? Christmas is different since people of all religions can celebrate it. I love the stupidity from you and your ilk. When Christians are forcing their religion onto others you idiots are angry but when it's Muslims then it's alright. Gotta love the double standards.

Yes, that's the best thing about Christianity; it's the religion everyone can celebrate.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
...and for all those who know their history, it's called "saturnalia" and isn't even of Christian origin.

I wonder how many actually know that?

Yea, and the tree was originally a pagan item. Wikipedia is a great place. :) Nice how Christians just consume everything around them. Don't like it? That's cause you're a bigoted non-believer. Burn for all eternity.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
Yea, and the tree was originally a pagan item. Wikipedia is a great place. :) Nice how Christians just consume everything around them. Don't like it? That's cause you're a bigoted non-believer. Burn for all eternity.

I'm willing to bet most don't even care, really, because it's about "tradition" so they don't even want to know, but then they want to "stone the heretics" that call them out on it.

"Christianity" stole a lot of holidays, Easter being the second largest theft in Christianity.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
It's idiotic to me. Too many people trying to be politically correct. If they do this, they should do it for all religions. Or else you're playing favorites.

And I don't really care for muslims.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Or none. Maybe Christians will get their way after all. No more Christmas off. Imagine the outrage? Loll...

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
It's idiotic to me. Too many people trying to be politically correct. If they do this, they should do it for all religions. Or else you're playing favorites.

Agreed; I demand a FSM holiday to celebrate his noodly appendages where I can cook sauce all day.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
And how many of them would celebrate Christmas?

First you say this....

Christmas is different since people of all religions can celebrate it.

And then you say this....

How exactly is it different? I know of no law or rule that doesn't allow you to celebrate Muslim holidays. It is a personal choice that everyone is free to make. The only thing that makes it "different" is it happens to be the faith that you believe in and the other is the faith that scares the living shit out of you for some odd reason.

I love the stupidity from you and your ilk. When Christians are forcing their religion onto others you idiots are angry but when it's Muslims then it's alright. Gotta love the double standards.

I know that comprehension isn't your strong suite but giving kids a day off of school is not forcing any religion upon anyone. Now if the school was forcing the kids to actually celebrate the holiday you would have a point but since they aren't, you just sound retarded.

Frankly using your version of "forcing religion on people" means that the state is in fact forcing Christianity on the entire country. Of course you will argue that isn't true either even though you quite literally just said it. So what do you say, lets stop forcing all religions on everyone in the country the way it is supposed to be? Remove Christian holidays from not only schools but the Feds and all other levels of government along with every other religious holiday, sound good to you? And don't give me some chickenshit crap about "but but but everyone is allowed to celebrate Xmas or a bunch of people do celebrate it so that makes it ok to force it on everyone else".

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
It would be better if the schools weren't shut down for the Jewish holidays.

No! I often see the atheists go after Christians and mock them yet they hardly ever go after Islam. It's because some of them are scared and are being PC while others have a beef with Christianity.

You don't think shutting down the schools is forcing the beliefs onto everyone else?

They go after Christians so much because, as you just very plainly admitted, Christianity has been, and continues to be, forcing its beliefs onto the entire country.

As far as your "even non-christians celebrate Xmas because they are tolerant and respectful", why is it then that you christians can't return the favor and be tolerant and respectful of others?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

Shrug, I don't give a shit about them either but it appears a very significant portion of this particular school districts students are Muslim which is why they are doing this. It sounds more like appeasing their constituents than PC to me but really at the end of the day it doesn't register much on my give a shit o'meter. I just enjoy pointing out the retarded OPs hypocrisy.