New York Schools May Close For Muslim Holidays

Apr 27, 2012
Schools in New York could close down for Muslim holidays as both Bill De Blasio and Joe Lhota have pledged to support the move. They say this is out of respect for Islam.

"The origins of this nation (are) people of many different faiths coming together," the report said, quoting the candidate. "That's why we have to respect Muslim faiths by providing the Eid school holidays for children in our school system."

This sounds like pandering for votes. During the Christmas season they call it the "holiday season" and winter break to take out the religious part but they have no problem closing schools for this. Many of the schools do everything they can to avoid and take out Christianity but there isn't much opposition to this.

Also there are reports that CAIR might be behind this.

Where is the ACLU coming in over the separation of Church and State? They shouldn't do this and it's a bad idea.

Do you disagree with closing down schools for Muslim holidays?

http://news.yahoo.com/new-york-schools-may-close-for-muslim-holidays-185517679.html

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2013/10/17/new-york-schoolscouldgetmuslimholidays.html

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Schools in New York could close down for Muslim holidays as both Bill De Blasio and Joe Lhota have pledged to support the move. They say this is out of respect for Islam.

"The origins of this nation (are) people of many different faiths coming together," the report said, quoting the candidate. "That's why we have to respect Muslim faiths by providing the Eid school holidays for children in our school system."

This sounds like pandering for votes. During the Christmas season they call it the "holiday season" and winter break to take out the religious part but they have no problem closing schools for this. Many of the schools do everything they can to avoid and take out Christianity but there isn't much opposition to this.

Where is the ACLU coming in over the separation of Church and State? They shouldn't do this and it's a bad idea.

http://news.yahoo.com/new-york-schools-may-close-for-muslim-holidays-185517679.html

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2013/10/17/new-york-schoolscouldgetmuslimholidays.html

NO!

happy%20holidays.jpg

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
NYC schools already close for Jewish Holidays such as Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, you crazy idiot. Color me shocked that you weren't up in arms about it until it was the dirty mooslems doing it.

Apr 27, 2012
:rolleyes: Didn't you make the claim that you don't hate Muslims? Threads/posts like prove otherwise.

So anyone who criticizes Muslims automatically hates them? That is just idiotic and typical. This is just pandering and being PC. It's also CAIR behind this.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
So anyone who criticizes Muslims automatically hates them? That is just idiotic and typical. This is just pandering and being PC. It's also CAIR behind this.

What is different between the so-called Muslims and the so-called Christians? Both have a lot of blood on their hands and both claim to be religious. Why do you side with one and not the other? Is this similar to a sports team rivalry?

Feb 6, 2007

Of course everyone who criticizes Muslims doesn't hate them, that's just stupid. But being in favor of schools recognizing Judeo-Christian beliefs but not those of Muslims? Yeah, that's pretty good evidence of hating Muslims. Also, we have virtually every word you've ever posted here before as evidence. Because, as everyone is fully aware, that's your shtick.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net

All I see is you criticizing them being able to celebrate a holiday.

Based on your continuous whining about Christian holidays in here, I think the best solution is to cancel all religious holidays in the US so there were not be any PC treatment of religious people and their holidays.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I'm sure that Incorruptible had another thread all ready about how NYC schools close for Jewish holidays and how AIPAC is behind it but he just forgot to post it.

Feb 16, 2005

And yet again you come across as this:
ht_shock_060727_ssv.jpg

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
I would rather schools have fewer long vacations and more holidays. Why not all religions?

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Schools should only be closed on state/federal holidays.

They should not be closed for anything else.

Pulsar

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2003
NYC schools already close for Jewish Holidays such as Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, you crazy idiot. Color me shocked that you weren't up in arms about it until it was the dirty mooslems doing it.

Perhaps he didn't KNOW that? I'm not from New York, and I certainly didn't know it. Here in Michigan they've removed Easter (it's now spring break). They take Good Friday off, but under a different non-demoniminational name. Likewise, Christmas is Winter break. Thanksgiving is still Thanksgiving, thank goodness.

So yeah, I agree with incorruptible. I think he's an idiot most of the time, but NONE of these religious holidays should be holidays specifically. Or they all should. Take your pick, one or the other. You can't cherrypick the most popular religions and just give those holidays, because it smacks of blatent bias.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

Uh, not to mention Christmas. Yet somehow he thinks if it's Muslim holidays it's an issue of "separation of church and state." What a clown.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Perhaps he didn't KNOW that? I'm not from New York, and I certainly didn't know it. Here in Michigan they've removed Easter (it's now spring break). They take Good Friday off, but under a different non-demoniminational name. Likewise, Christmas is Winter break. Thanksgiving is still Thanksgiving, thank goodness.

So yeah, I agree with incorruptible. I think he's an idiot most of the time, but NONE of these religious holidays should be holidays specifically. Or they all should. Take your pick, one or the other. You can't cherrypick the most popular religions and just give those holidays, because it smacks of blatent bias.

I'm confused as to what you agree with him about. He objects to schools taking religious holidays only when it's Muslim holidays.

It doesn't really matter what you call the Christmas break. Christmas is the reason for it.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
i'm confused as to what you agree with him about. He objects to schools taking religious holidays only when it's muslim holidays.

It doesn't really matter what you call the Saturnalia break. Saturnalia is the reason for it.

Fixed that for ya,! :p

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
I'm confused as to what you agree with him about. He objects to schools taking religious holidays only when it's Muslim holidays.

It doesn't really matter what you call the Christmas break. Christmas is the reason for it.

Christmas is a Federal Holiday. The constitutionality for which has been upheld(repeatedly).

Schools should only be closed for federal/state holidays, as well as fall/winter/spring breaks.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Christmas is a Federal Holiday. The constitutionality for which has been upheld(repeatedly).

Schools should only be closed for federal/state holidays, as well as fall/winter/spring breaks.

Why not allow schools to be open or closed whenever they want so long as they meet state and federal standards and aren't violating any laws/constitution/etc?

Pulsar

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2003
Why not allow schools to be open or closed whenever they want so long as they meet state and federal standards and aren't violating any laws/constitution/etc?

You could do that, except the teachers unions would throw an incredible fit if they were asked to work when other governmental employees got holidays.

Wolfe - I'm not sure what you mean. Incorruptible appears to rightly point out that schools are removing references to religion in many ways, from the pledge to renaming holidays. Allowing some religious holidays while removing others is clearly wrong.