New York Mayor Bloomberg wants to HIDE baby formula in hospitals

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JACKHAMMER

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Every place I saw was less than 5%. Somewhere between 1/20 and 1/50 is not many. It is a small percentage by anyone's definition.

I do not think society should encourage women to make choices that are bad for their children. You obviously disagree with that.

Small and significant can be the same thing, take a statistics course. Don't use the word if you don't know what it means.

I am fully aware that breastfeeding is the best option, especially for the first six months. We should encourage breast feeding. But, you need to realize that these choices do not happen in a vacuum. The simple fact is that for many families there is no option but to return to work. If we had better family leave in this country, this would be less of an issue. But something tells me you don't support paid maternity leave.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Uh. When using numbers based off population in stats, especially in the area of public health, 1 in 50 is fucking huge and extremely significant.

A person claiming otherwise knows jack shit about public health and/or stats.

Last edited:

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Small and significant can be the same thing, take a statistics course. Don't use the word if you don't know what it means.

I am fully aware that breastfeeding is the best option, especially for the first six months. We should encourage breast feeding. But, you need to realize that these choices do not happen in a vacuum. The simple fact is that for many families there is no option but to return to work. If we had better family leave in this country, this would be less of an issue. But something tells me you don't support paid maternity leave.

Of course I do not support paying people for not working. It is not my fault that feminism leads to worse outcomes for children. And I should not be expected to pay for it.

modestninja

Jul 17, 2003

Two words: Breast Pump.

Many working women use it to express milk while at work which is then used to feed their child(ren) when they aren't there to do it themselves.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
What a bunch of sh!t! My son was born on May 9. My wife tried to breast feed, and he was hardly getting anything at all. He ended up losing too much weight after birth and ended up going to the NICU for four days (low weight, low blood sugar, jaundice) where he was put on formula. My wife still tried breast feeding, but he wouldn't latch to feed at all.

They tried using breast shields and everything else possible. Nothing.

So once we got home, I went out and bought a Medela dual-breast pump to aid in the process. She would pump every two hours and at most would get a few drops of milk at every session.

She tried her best for weeks to provide for him, and it just didn't happen. She was devastated and depressed for at least a month after he was born because "she couldn't give him what he needed".

But now, she's come to terms with the fact that it ISN'T her fault and there's nothing wrong with bottle/formula feeding. Our little buddy is doing marvelously and is developing right on schedule (and picking up weight fast).

JACKHAMMER

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Two words: Breast Pump.

Many working women use it to express milk while at work which is then used to feed their child(ren) when they aren't there to do it themselves.

Read the thread, I already mentioned breast pumps. Again, many workplaces are not friendly to stopping every two hours and pumping or have the facilities set aside to have a woman do it in. Plus, many woman choose not to risk leaking through their shirt a work.

Look, it's a choice for most woman. Last time I checked we live in the land of freedom, if a woman chooses to breast feed/pump/stay at home then great their children will most likely benefit. If for any number of reasons they choose not to due to work, lifestyle, inability, medications etc. then that's fine too.

JACKHAMMER

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Of course I do not support paying people for not working. It is not my fault that feminism leads to worse outcomes for children. And I should not be expected to pay for it.

Explain to me how the choice to breast feed is a feminist issue. We live in an economy that requires two income households for the majority of Americans. Children and the ability to stay home is an economic issue.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Read the thread, I already mentioned breast pumps. Again, many workplaces are not friendly to stopping every two hours and pumping or have the facilities set aside to have a woman do it in. Plus, many woman choose not to risk leaking through their shirt a work.

Look, it's a choice for most woman. Last time I checked we live in the land of freedom, if a woman chooses to breast feed/pump/stay at home then great their children will most likely benefit. If for any number of reasons they choose not to due to work, lifestyle, inability, medications etc. then that's fine too.

Honestly, I do not know why I am complaining if other women choose to breastfeed. All it will do is advantage my children.

Explain to me how the choice to breast feed is a feminist issue. We live in an economy that requires two income households for the majority of Americans. Children and the ability to stay home is an economic issue.

paid maternity leave is a feminist issue. If women want to work, fine, just do not force me to monetarily support it.

And the need for 2 income households is a creation of feminism. Worker wages stopped rising after the workforce participation rate went up, because of women entering the workforce; this is exactly in accordance with basic economic theory.