New York Mayor Bloomberg wants to HIDE baby formula in hospitals

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Except studies show that babies who are breast fed grow up to have higher IQ.... so breast feeding is the best.

That's great but when the mother is not at home because maybe she is at work and can't feed her baby and the father is the only parental unit around what should occur? Oh wait the baby should be bottle feed until mom comes home.

Last edited:

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
You don't need government or the bible to tell you that murder is wrong and that consequences need to be met out.

Now do you support laws against gay marriage or marijuana use because government tells they are wrong?

Marriage is a government sanctioned contract. Complaining about the government being involved in marriage is ridiculous.

And I have no problem with the government making laws against drugs including marijuana.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
That's great but when the mother is not at home because maybe she is at work and can't feed her baby and the father is the only parental unit around what should occur? Oh wait the baby should be bottle feed until mom comes home.

Sounds like an argument for women not working to me.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
That's great but when the mother is not around or she is indispose or just exhausted and can't feed her baby and the father or nurse is the only person around what should occur? Oh wait the baby should be bottle feed until mom comes back without much fuss.

Pumping is really common. You can start bottle-feeding breast milk after a few weeks. It's also more economical than formula; a pump is a one-time cost whereas formula is ongoing.

My wife is now 9 months pregnant. We've taken a few classes on newborn care and reading books and magazines and it looks like the recommendation is to feed the baby breast milk EXCLUSIVELY for the first six months. She is planning on going back to work in 6-8 weeks but she will be pumping her breast milk into bottles for me to feed the baby for the days when I'll be working from home.

Last edited:

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Doesnt all the baby formula in the hospitals come from donors i.e. Manufacturers?

Who cares what they do with it?

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Marriage is a government sanctioned contract. Complaining about the government being involved in marriage is ridiculous.

And I have no problem with the government making laws against drugs including marijuana.

Government says jump, you say okay and ask how high. Thus your answer is the reason why we end up with shitty laws in society that serve no other use but to keep bureaucratic employed and the meaningless paper work flowing.

Feb 6, 2007
Why the emphasis on the word "hide" in the title? Like is Bloomberg really expecting that he'll be able to trick people by putting the formula under some couch cusions? Or is he in the hospital switching the labels around, so a whole bunch of people who need vicodin end up getting formula instead? "Hey man, I stole some primo shit from the hospital... wait, is this fucking baby formula? Damn you Bloomberg!"

JACKHAMMER

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Incorrect. A small number of women are unable to breastfeed.

http://www.parenting.com/article/the-breastfeeding-police

Did you actually read that article? It says that while only 2% of women can't breastfeed (no citation btw, and based on my experience that number may be higher) due to physical limitations many " Others may lactate poorly because they're exhausted, anxious, or depressed, or weakened by postpartum surgery. Milk supply can plummet when a working mother finds it difficult to pump on the job. A previous breast-reduction surgery or lumpectomy can inhibit lactation." Plus, anyone on any number of medications should not breastfeed.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Why the emphasis on the word "hide" in the title? Like is Bloomberg really expecting that he'll be able to trick people by putting the formula under some couch cusions? Or is he in the hospital switching the labels around, so a whole bunch of people who need vicodin end up getting formula instead? "Hey man, I stole some primo shit from the hospital... wait, is this fucking baby formula? Damn you Bloomberg!"

because daily fail

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Did you actually read that article? It says that while only 2% of women can't breastfeed (no citation btw, and based on my experience that number may be higher) due to physical limitations many " Others may lactate poorly because they're exhausted, anxious, or depressed, or weakened by postpartum surgery. Milk supply can plummet when a working mother finds it difficult to pump on the job. A previous breast-reduction surgery or lumpectomy can inhibit lactation." Plus, anyone on any number of medications should not breastfeed.

try googling the percentage of women who cannot breast feed. I did. Every discussion of it was <5%.

And please explain the how women's lifestyle choices being opposed to breast feeding is in anyway relevant to a discussion on women's physical ability to breastfeed. I claimed that evolutionary biology would dictate that only a small amount of women would be able to physically unable to breastfeed.

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
I'm not even specifically talking about this. Look at all of the other questionable stuff government does in the name of public safety. A prime example is Bloomberg's ban on sodas over 16 ounces.

we're talking about something that affects babies here. some parents make bad choices and the child suffers (the child has no choice). i disagree on the soda thing though. i mean if you want to get morbidly obese and die in your own filth i have no problem with that as you're an adult. i miss supersize fries :\

there's a difference between being free to make your own choices versus choices that affect another person with no voice of their own

i can't talk as i've had 18 packs of chips and 8 cans of cherry coke today :wub:

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007

Why is freedom such a foreign concept to you? So if two people love each other they can't make vows to each other unless the almighty government allows it? I pity you.

we're talking about something that affects babies here. some parents make bad choices and the child suffers (the child has no choice). i disagree on the soda thing though. i mean if you want to get morbidly obese and die in your own filth i have no problem with that as you're an adult. i miss supersize fries :\

there's a difference between being free to make your own choices versus choices that affect another person with no voice of their own

i can't talk as i've had 18 packs of chips and 8 cans of cherry coke today :wub:

It isn't like formula kills, or even hurts babies.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Why is freedom such a foreign concept to you? So if two people love each other they can't make vows to each other unless the almighty government allows it? I pity you.

By that logic there is nothing stopping 2 gay men from getting married today. So why are they always complaining they cannot get married? :rolleyes:

JACKHAMMER

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
try googling the percentage of women who cannot breast feed. I did. Every discussion of it was <5%.

And please explain the how women's lifestyle choices being opposed to breast feeding is in anyway relevant to a discussion on women's physical ability to breastfeed. I claimed that evolutionary biology would dictate that only a small amount of women would be able to physically unable to breastfeed.

First off, one in twenty is significant. How you can discount those women is beyond rational.

Second, the physical ability to breast feed and lifestyle are inherently linked. It is clear through your posts that you lack any significant biological education, but milk production is linked to the prolactin pathway. Prolactin production is tied to stimulation, and when women go back to work it can be difficult to maintain that. Pumping is an option, but some employers frown upon it, and even if they don't it can be uncomfortable for mom and sometimes awkard as their breasts can leak, etc. Basically, breast feeding is a full-time gig.

I assume through your posts that you think mothers should be relegated to the home during this time, but that is simply not an option for many people. And it is a choice that woman is free to make, not you.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
First off, one in twenty is significant. How you can discount those women is beyond rational.

Every place I saw was less than 5%. Somewhere between 1/20 and 1/50 is not many. It is a small percentage by anyone's definition.

Second, the physical ability to breast feed and lifestyle are inherently linked. It is clear through your posts that you lack any significant biological education, but milk production is linked to the prolactin pathway. Prolactin production is tied to stimulation, and when women go back to work it can be difficult to maintain that. Pumping is an option, but some employers frown upon it, and even if they don't it can be uncomfortable for mom and sometimes awkard as their breasts can leak, etc. Basically, breast feeding is a full-time gig.

I assume through your posts that you think mothers should be relegated to the home during this time, but that is simply not an option for many people. And it is a choice that woman is free to make, not you.

I do not think society should encourage women to make choices that are bad for their children. You obviously disagree with that.

Matthiasa

Diamond Member
May 4, 2009
~2% of the population is homosexual.

EDIT: And it should only be nearly nonexistant assuming there is a genetic basis for it.

Fun fact: The sets of genes that increases the likelihood of one being homosexual also increases increases fertility in women.
Which means women who had that trait tended to have more children, which actually makes said set of genes quite advantageous.

abj13

Golden Member
Jan 27, 2005
It isn't like formula kills, or even hurts babies.

Formula fed infants have higher rates of sudden infant death syndrome, Type I diabetes mellitus, atopic disease including eczema and asthma, necrotizing entercolitis, acute otitis media, gastroenteritis, upper respiratory infections, urinary tract infections...

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Formula fed infants have higher rates of sudden infant death syndrome, Type I diabetes mellitus, atopic disease including eczema and asthma, necrotizing entercolitis, acute otitis media, gastroenteritis, upper respiratory infections, urinary tract infections...

Percentage? Seems if it were that bad there wouldn't be formula.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
By that logic there is nothing stopping 2 gay men from getting married today. So why are they always complaining they cannot get married? :rolleyes:

Probably because closed minded bigots force their morality on everyone around them and create laws telling them they can't?

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

But then how would feminists "have it all"?

Fun fact: The sets of genes that increases the likelihood of one being homosexual also increases increases fertility in women.
Which means women who had that trait tended to have more children, which actually makes said set of genes quite advantageous.

That would be because it is possible, and desirable from the perspective of the man, for one man to mate with many women.

It is also possible for gay men to reproduce as is seen by married men coming out as gay.

Although I believe this is all theoretical since I have never heard of the discovery of a gay gene.

abj13

Golden Member
Jan 27, 2005

Um, that's why the American Academy of Pediatrics and the WHO both recommend breastfeeding. But then there's the whole "freedom of choice" movement... despite multiple studies showing the benefits, many women are misinformed, or start out bottle feeding. Many of the mothers I meet have the incorrect assumption that since they started with bottle, they can't switch back to breast. Then there's the entire public perception about breastfeeding in public, it ends up being a disservice to the children of the future.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Um, that's why the American Academy of Pediatrics and the WHO both recommend breastfeeding. But then there's the whole "freedom of choice" movement... despite multiple studies showing the benefits, many women are misinformed, or start out bottle feeding. Many of the mothers I meet have the incorrect assumption that since they started with bottle, they can't switch back to breast. Then there's the entire public perception about breastfeeding in public, it ends up being a disservice to the children of the future.

Recommending breastfeeding because it's better for babies isn't the same as not recommending formula because it is hurting babies.