New York Mayor Bloomberg wants to HIDE baby formula in hospitals

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
lol. I love how your ignorance is now my love of the nanny state.

I love how no matter what the government tries to make people do you leap to it's defense.

Presumably you enjoy the government forcing people to drive on the right side of the road, to abide by contracts they sign, to not defraud you, etc, etc, etc. To actually list all the things that you almost certainly support the government forcing people to do would take all day.

Don't care about any of those, next.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
I love how no matter what the government tries to make people do you leap to it's defense.

So you think people should be able to decide which side of the road they would prefer to drive on? o_O

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
It isn't a money issue, it's government trying to force a behavior, do you support the government trying to force behavior?

Absolutely not. Which is why I agree with him. Hospitals have been giving out what is essentially promotional materials, which I don't like. It makes birthing and nursing way too commercialized.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I think hospitals should encourage breastfeeding. all the hospitals around here have la leche league women that help.
My wife tried to breastfeed both kids. she didn't produce enough milk for them. So we had to switch to formula.

Btw the amount they gave us was charged to insurance.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

You are a cartoon, and nobody believes you don't care about any of those.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I'm going to turn Bold on now, so shield your eyes:

What the f*ck is going on in this thread?

Is it that people don't understand what is going on?

Private manufacturers of infant formula are "donating" to the hospital infant formula under an agreement that the hospital will give it to patients free of charge. The manufacturers are not doing this out of the goodness of their heart but in the hopes that patients who have tried their brand of formula will then buy it. It is also being given out in the hopes that mothers will see the convenience and choose formula over breastfeeding.

The hospital is not only doing nothing wrong by not acting to facilitate advertising by formula manufacturers, it acting in the best interests of their patients since breast feeding is better for a baby than formula.

For those mothers who cannot or will not breast feed, the hospital is still supplying the free formula.

This is a health issue, not a nanny state issue.
Congratulations to Bloomberg for not being the formula manufactures bitch.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000

Private manufacturers of infant formula are "donating" to the hospital infant formula under an agreement that the hospital will give it to patients free of charge. The manufacturers are not doing this out of the goodness of their heart but in the hopes that patients who have tried their brand of formula will then buy it. It is also being given out in the hopes that mothers will see the convenience and choose formula over breastfeeding.

The hospital is not only doing nothing wrong by not acting to facilitate advertising by formula manufacturers, it acting in the best interests of their patients since breast feeding is better for a baby than formula.

For those mothers who cannot or will not breast feed, the hospital is still supplying the free formula.

"health issue" this is how the government and tools like you are taking over our lives and are slowly turning it into a nanny state. fuck that. if the hospital wants to give out a sample of a HEALTHY alternative to breastfeeding then they should be able to. its none of the governments business period.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

It's wonderful that Dr. Bloomberg is doing this. I hope he continues his crusade against formula and has it cut from WIC and Medicaid. We should not support this with our taxes. It's a health issue after all.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
"health issue" this is how the government and tools like you are taking over our lives and are slowly turning it into a nanny state. fuck that. if the hospital wants to give out a sample of a HEALTHY alternative to breastfeeding then they should be able to. its none of the governments business period.

Bold on:

Apparently NO ONE BOTHERED TO READ ABOUT THIS BEFORE MAKING ASSES OF THEMSELVES. It is a VOLUNTARY PROGRAM CALLED LATCHON NYC WHICH HOSPITALS CAN CHOOSE TO JOIN.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_...at-promoting-breast-feeding-in-nyc-hospitals/
Going into effect on September 3, New York City's mayor will implement his voluntary Latch On NYC initiative in which infant formula will be kept locked away at hospitals to encourage breast-feeding for new mothers.

The program is voluntary for hospitals, and is part of a nationwide effort to improve newborns' health by promoting breast-feeding for babies.

Some city hospitals are already taking part in the program. At NYU Langone Medical Center, breast-feeding rates have surged from 39 percent of new moms to 68 percent since the program was implemented, the Post reported.

Earlier this month, Massachusetts health officials announced they would eliminate free giveaways of infant formula at the state's 49 hospitals beginning at the end of July to promote breast-feeding.

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that moms exclusively breast-feed for the first six months of a newborn's life to boost protection against many illnesses and allergies.

Babies who are fed formula and stop breast-feeding early may be more at risk for diabetes, respiratory and ear infections and are more likely to require doctor visits, prescriptions or hospitalizations, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Children who aren't breast-fed are also more likely to be obese and are at a higher risk for sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).

The CDC says in the U.S., most babies start breast-feeding, but within the first week, half have already been given formula, and by 9 months, only 31% of babies are breast-feeding at all

Hey, dimwits, are you going to demand hospitals give out cigarrettes if the the cigarrette manufacturers want to supply them for free?

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
After seeing stuff like this, I don't understand how anyone can support any expansion of government programs. When we eventually get single payer UHC (and it will happen), do you really believe the government won't implement laws "for the common good" to try to keep costs down and increase revenues to pay for it? Say hello to $5 hamburger taxes, bans of high carb foods (potatoes, pasta, bread), compulsory gym memberships, etc. When government is allowed to make laws like this, it's probably never going to make a decision that gives you more freedom.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Babies who are fed formula and stop breast-feeding early may be more at risk for diabetes, respiratory and ear infections and are more likely to require doctor visits, prescriptions or hospitalizations, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Children who aren't breast-fed are also more likely to be obese and are at a higher risk for sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).

thats bullshit fear mongering plain as day.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
After seeing stuff like this, I don't understand how anyone can support any expansion of government programs. When we eventually get single payer UHC (and it will happen), do you really believe the government won't implement laws "for the common good" to try to keep costs down and increase revenues to pay for it? Say hello to $5 hamburger taxes, bans of high carb foods (potatoes, pasta, bread), compulsory gym memberships, etc. When government is allowed to make laws like this, it's probably never going to make a decision that gives you more freedom.

I don't want to "call you out" but did you even read this thread before posting?

Apparently NO ONE BOTHERED TO READ ABOUT THIS BEFORE MAKING ASSES OF THEMSELVES. It is a VOLUNTARY PROGRAM CALLED LATCHON NYC WHICH HOSPITALS CAN CHOOSE TO JOIN.

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
There are dozens of studies that show babies who are breast-fed are far better off than babies that use only formula.

Folks - the only reason this takes place is that the formula Mfg's are looking for long-term customers.

All this uproar - and it's a VOLUNTARY program - hospital choice.

This is a smart program and the uproar about it is silly - any discussion of some form of government making a decision and it's met with cries of "down with big government", and the real fear-mongering - like $5 hamburger taxes.....

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
Typical nutjobs being typical. That's why I don't bother posting here. I swear some of the "people" are automatic response generating computers used by the government to spead propaganda. People cannot be this blatantly obtuse.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
I don't want to "call you out" but did you even read this thread before posting?

I'm not even specifically talking about this. Look at all of the other questionable stuff government does in the name of public safety. A prime example is Bloomberg's ban on sodas over 16 ounces.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Hiding? WTF are you talking about? He wants to ban promotion of formula. Hospitals are paid by the formula companies to promote their product. It's proven that babies who are not breast fed end up with lower IQ.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
you must have sucked down a lot of formula to believe that.

Huh? Why would you doubt it? Breast milk is evolved specifically to provide for the nutritional needs of a growing baby. Formula is an approximation.

Or are you one of those people who doesn't believe nutrition affects a child's IQ?

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
wtf does evolution have to do with it??? im talking about TODAY not a zillion years ago. my use of many is entirely accurate.
You need to understand how evolution works. Darwinian evolution works by having things live or die. Things with positive traits live and things with negative traits die. He's saying your baby should be left to die because its mother has a negative evolutionary trait. It's also implied that your wife should have been left to starve as well. Mother nature can be a real bitch sometimes.

I'm in the anti-evolution camp because I have a lot of negative traits. I would die if I didn't have help.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
You need to understand how evolution works. Darwinian evolution works by having things live or die. Things with positive traits live and things with negative traits die. He's saying your baby should be left to die because its mother has a negative evolutionary trait. It's also implied that your wife should have been left to starve as well. Mother nature can be a real bitch sometimes.

I'm in the anti-evolution camp because I have a lot of negative traits. I would die if I didn't have help.

Huh? You don't believe in evolution because social darwinism is wrong?

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001

I understand the evolutionary argument, but just to play devil's advocate: Who is to say that we are at the peak of evolution now? Breast milk may not be the BEST it can be at the time. Remember that evolution is an extremely long and extremely slow process. Just because something is "natural" doesn't necessarily mean that it is better than something synthetic.

I haven't looked at any research on this, so breast milk could very well be much better than formula. I'm just saying that nature isn't always perfect at this exact moment.