New York gets sued by gun makers for using Texas logic.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Did anyone ever sue Texas for their wild ass interpretation of the law?
Remember, its not hypocrisy. Republicans are not hypocrites. In order to be a hypocrite you need self-awareness.

(I'm not in love with CNN, but they dont have a paywall)

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Oh wow. Odds are most of these assholes are probably all for the Texas abortion laws. You can't make this shit up.

Which are not really the same when it comes to cause and effect, a gun being used truly affects others while a person getting an abortion really just affects themselves. But the Republicans have zero self-awareness as you point out, and even if you pointed it out, they wouldn't care, because being shitty people that's how they do.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Glad we're all in agreement the SCOTUS has been ruined by being packed with conservatives more concerned with politics than upholding civil rights.

Fwiw I don't support the right to sue gun makers for their products, unless they don't work as advertised. That would be like people suing the auto maker of a sedan used in a deadly accident, rather than the driver wouldn't it? The operator is the one who assumes responsibility for actions, not the tool.

Last edited:

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
Glad we're all in agreement the SCOTUS has been ruined by being packed with conservatives more concerned with politics than upholding civil rights.
In this case they probably will not really need to touch the constitution above the basic. I don't think there is any ambiguity about Article VI, Paragraph 2 of the US Constitution also known as Supremacy clause. I am not sure if this will even get to SCOTUS as federal court will declare that NY law violates Supremacy clause being congress passed federal law that specifically bans what NY law says they can do.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
In this case they probably will not really need to touch the constitution above the basic. I don't think there is any ambiguity about Article VI, Paragraph 2 of the US Constitution also known as Supremacy clause. I am not sure if this will even get to SCOTUS as federal court will declare that NY law violates Supremacy clause being congress passed federal law that specifically bans what NY law says they can do.
I haven’t looked but if the NY law is implemented exactly like the Texas law then suing the NY AG is pointless as the AG doesn’t enforce the law.

The whole point of a TX style bounty Hunter law is to circumvent judicial review as the state government doesn’t enforce the anti-constitutional law the ruinous threat of bounty lawsuits does.

Last edited:

SmCaudata

Oct 8, 2006
I wonder if someone could bring a suit against them like those against the tobacco industry. Accuse them of targeting violent extremists that would be likely to use the weapons inappropriately. Or something along those lines...

Reactions: hal2kilo

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Yes and SCOTUS got no problem doing that.
Perhaps not the majority. In any case the hypocrisy needs to be exposed in a concrete manner, not just as a matter of opinion, as in your and other peoples' private assessment. Your statement, then, in my opinion, is based on selective evidence and is too broad-sweeping in nature.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Hopefully it gets to the SC to expose the partisan hacks they are so we can further convince people this nation needs to cut the cancer that is the south loose
I don't doubt that you hate people that don't share your system of beliefs. But I'm confused as to why you chose to conflate those two. I'm also not quite up to speed on cutting the south lose. Is this a new movement? As I recall they tried to leave once and the rest of the country got all pissey about it.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
New York gun law violates not only the 2nd amendment but also federal law that specifically says they can't sue gun manufacture.
Who cares about precedent or laws? Texas didn't. Neither did Mississippi . Anyway the Texas law is so far only surviving challenges because it's getting around judicial review since the state is now involved in the suits. The ny law is basically the same as long as it's not the state doing the suing.

Last edited:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I don't doubt that you hate people that don't share your system of beliefs. But I'm confused as to why you chose to conflate those two. I'm also not quite up to speed on cutting the south lose. Is this a new movement? As I recall they tried to leave once and the rest of the country got all pissey about it.

Yes, since Trump I now do hate those people. Being aware of history I can see what kind of people they are, they share the same traits with the worst in history. They showed they're true colors that are undeniable now.

Now believe me, after Obama, I saw so much racism and just pure partisan obstructionism come out of your party but still I thought we were going to move forward past that, we would push through that. But then your people elected Trump and it just got worse and worse. So yes, I hate people that support Trump and the current Republican party because he is truly a piece of shit person and the party now stands for what he stands for. Turns out they also think democracy is just an inconvenient thing to overturn if it doesn't go their way - and I don't care if they are actively against democracy or like you, who just pretends to be ignorant of caring about the attempts to delegitimize democracy.

The South and the red midwest states should all just leave and go on their own, this time I don't think anyone would care if the door hit them on the way out. Just do it quickly. The fact is these states carry outsized power in the House and especially in the Senate, and the electoral college is an antiquated relic of the slavery era. It's insane that a presiden that tried to overthrow democracy has a third of the justices on the SC. The whole system is wacked. That would end all those things and help prevent the much larger majority from being ran by the regressive minority using these outdated and unfixable bureaucratic relics of a government formed well over 200 years ago and is clearly broken.

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
New York gun law violates not only the 2nd amendment but also federal law that specifically says they can't sue gun manufacture.
Sadly for the gun manufacturers as federal law stands currently they will need to litigate individually against every person who elects to sue them. After all, as Texas showed it’s not the government doing anything, it’s private citizens.

SCOTUS has caused a massive clusterfuck by not immediately slapping Texas down for that law. Just absolute, abject stupidity on their part all because of their partisanship.

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
Sadly for the gun manufacturers as federal law stands currently they will need to litigate individually against every person who elects to sue them. After all, as Texas showed it’s not the government doing anything, it’s private citizens.

SCOTUS has caused a massive clusterfuck by not immediately slapping Texas down for that law. Just absolute, abject stupidity on their part all because of their partisanship.

We all know that Conservatives do not do nuance so it is not surprising.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004

Well let’s not draw an artificial distinction around who caused this. It was the republicans in Texas and the republicans on SCOTUS.

I dare say that makes frivolous unconstitutional lawsuits a Republican Party platform.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

They never tried "to leave." They violently and murderously fought to spread the institution of slavery across the continent.

lol that you think they "tried to leave." Where the fuck did you learn that nonsense?