New Years Weight Loss Competition

fLum0x

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2004
Here is the deal...

1) put down $100
2) weigh in today (Jan 2)
3) weigh in April 1

He who loses the most percentage (weight lost/total weight) wins the whole pot. As of right now there are somewhere between 5-8 of us. What would you guys do to drop weight (healthily) the fastest? I know I am going to watch what I eat and I am going to go heavy on aerobic exercises (running specifically), but would you also lift? More muscle means you burn more fat right? But! Muscle weighs more than fat, so, how do you monitor this to maximize the weight lost over 3 months. I am going to continue working out (i have been for a while) after this is over, but I work on all parts of my body. Nevertheless, what would you guys/gals recommend?

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Sounds unhealthy.

Muscle weight is not taken into account and the short duration merely encourages crash dieting. I predict most, if not all will gain all the weight back, plus a few more lbs by the end of the year.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Drink LOTS AND LOTS OF WATER

Monitor your CALORIE INTAKE. Do some web research or consult a dietician to find out exactly how many calories you should be having daily. Remember: Everything has calories... every meal, every snack, every drink (including alcohol) needs to be counted. By cheating a diet, you are only cheating yourself.

Important parts in caps.

We should do an AT weight loss group. Is there any web software that can track stats such as weight and graph it out and stuff?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Use Fitday.com to track everything you eat. When I started doing that, it forced me to look at the nutritional information and serving size of everything I ate and compare it all, and it helped me weed out some things I was eating that just weren't worth it.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Combine Aerobics and building lean body mass by doing high rep+lighter weights. After a month, do less reps more weight. after a month, go back to high reps w/ lighter weights. and don't slack to the Aerobics!

One of the main things overlooked is diet, maintain a strict diet...ie no fast food, soda, no desserts, no saturated fats or simple sugars. Try to get about .5 grams of protein per pound of body weight with real food, and drink a protein drink for extra protein.

i'm sure you'll get many more replies...

Feb 19, 2001
OMG this is like hax. I would just start dieting fast and crunches + pushups EVERY DAY + run 3 miles at least 3 times a week.

Juice fast. I lost 4 lbs in 3 days.

Patt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
Originally posted by: mugs
Use Fitday.com to track everything you eat. When I started doing that, it forced me to look at the nutritional information and serving size of everything I ate and compare it all, and it helped me weed out some things I was eating that just weren't worth it.

Do you use the web version, or did you d/l the desktop software? I've looked at this before.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Injury

Monitor your CALORIE INTAKE. Do some web research or consult a dietician to find out exactly how many calories you should be having daily. Remember: Everything has calories... every meal, every snack, every drink (including alcohol) needs to be counted. By cheating a diet, you are only cheating yourself.

Important parts in caps.

We should do an AT weight loss group. Is there any web software that can track stats such as weight and graph it out and stuff?

i know some, but it's not free for full functionality, my-calorie-counter.com

jiggahertz

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919
Originally posted by: Injury

Important parts in caps.

i know some, but it's not free for full functionality, my-calorie-counter.com

I believe fitday has the ability to chart weight loss.

snoopdoug1

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Patt

Do you use the web version, or did you d/l the desktop software? I've looked at this before.

i curious about this too

jiggahertz

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2005
Originally posted by: snoopdoug1

i curious about this too

I've never used their downloadable software. I've used the web version exclusively for calorie lookup/counting.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: snoopdoug1

i curious about this too

I use the web version so I can keep track of my food at home or at work.

It also tracks approximate calories burned through exercise.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: dbk
Should've done BF%.

Ding ding. It's easy for anyone to just "drop weight". Body fat composition means more in terms of overall health than saying "I lost 50lbs because I ate 500 calories a day", when half of what you probably lost was muscle mass.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
I've got another 20 lbs to go before the wedding in March, wish me luck :)

jiggahertz

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2005
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
Should've done BF%.

Ding ding. It's easy for anyone to just "drop weight". Body fat composition means more in terms of overall health than saying "I lost 50lbs because I ate 500 calories a day", when half of what you probably lost was muscle mass.

I agree 100%, but I think the margin of error for calipers is around a few percent and scales are affected by hydration levels. With ~$800 at stake percentage of weight loss isn't that bad.

SZLiao214

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2003
A crap load of cardio and water :) Even on the rest days put on some headphones and go take a hour long walk.

fLum0x

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2004

yea, I used fitday for a month or so last quarter.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
I use the Fitday software, and it works great. Of course, I use it for weight gain instead of loss. It has almost every food, and adding custom foods is very very easy.

I've stayed pretty strict to my 4500 calorie a day diet, as well as 200g of protein a day. The software version of fitday is fairly identical to the online one. But my internet is so damn slow and I cant always connect, so it made more sense to just download it for $20.

I've gone from 193 to 204 lbs since I've been tracking. Want to get up to at least 225 by the time I come back to the US. Working out 5-6 times a week though too helps.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
w0w, that could actually motive me

a man is much more likely to win than a woman, based on watching those tv shows, "Biggest Loser" and "Celebrity Fit Club"

fLum0x

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2004
Originally posted by: jiggahertz
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
Should've done BF%.

I agree 100%, but I think the margin of error for calipers is around a few percent and scales are affected by hydration levels. With ~$800 at stake percentage of weight loss isn't that bad.

we considered this...we have a gym here at work and they do not have the tools to do it correctly. Therefore we decided on this :x

Also, i want to do this healthily in the fact that i am going to continue working out anyways like i have been for 6 months. Others are fasting or whatever, i am just putting down $100 and considering the money for more incentive to work harder. I want to lose more weight than i have been, but i don't want to be retarded about it.

Eating disorders and cutting off a limb are not prohibited according to the rules :p

fLum0x

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2004
Originally posted by: FoBoT
w0w, that could actually motive me

a man is much more likely to win than a woman, based on watching those tv shows, "Biggest Loser" and "Celebrity Fit Club"

i agree....$700 is nothing to joke about since i should be working out and cutting weight anyways :p